X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Unknown (to me) Sonar Feature

In this photo of the SHARK circa 1983, I spy with my little eye this sonar(?) appendage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1280px-USS_Shark_SSN_591_1.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	114706

Any idea? Similar to the AN/WLR-9 Acoustic Intercept I was familiar with on the GRANT?

Also, would asking approximate dimensions and location on the hull be too much? Seems to be outbd stbd of the centerline just aft of the surface waterline demarcation. Wish to place it on my DeBoer SHARK to bring her in line when I toured her back in '79 during Subschool in Groton. It was the first boat I ever stepped aboard hence the tribute. Google is skunking me BIG time!

Thanks in advance for ANY assistance!

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • SSN SonarTech
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jul 2012

augmenter dome- g nats dome. On a 637 they were centerline aft. Larger than a WLR-9 Dome
    Last edited by SSN SonarTech; 06-09-2016, 08:42 AM.
    US Submarine Force: Making the Navy worthwhile since 1900

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by SSN SonarTech
      augmenter dome- g nats dome. On a 637 they were centerline aft. Larger than a WLR-9 Dome
      Thanks!!!
      Saw it on 'em,wasn't sure. Close enough for Government work on the DeBoer Skipjack. I tend to swat dink's with a dirty fly swatter when they take tape measures to my models. I got enough gut pains just hoping to get the model back after a sail! lol
      v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• SSN SonarTech
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Jul 2012

About 2 and 1/2 feet long and foot high from what I remember. stands for " general noise and tonal system"

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Heres another view. There is one on the front as well and also some sort of thingamajig on the starboard side of the sail.
          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• QuarterMaster
            Rear Admiral
            • Sep 2015

Thanks for the response. I thought I saw the rectangular hump in another photo as well. I also see another dome fwd/port.
            You serve on her?
            v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• SSN SonarTech
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Jul 2012

Fwd port and small one forward of the bridge are WLR-9 domes . No idea what the one just after of sail is.

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

I had heard that it was a add on towed array setup. But......that's just here say
                IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Sep 2015

I do see something that appears to be trailing off to starboard along the hull and entering the water, possible housing tube for the towed array? Need to really scour post 1980 photos. But to be honest, I'm not sure now if I want to all the extra gear. I see from my photo, the WLR-9 had yet to be added. I could live with the GNATS, but willing to leave off the rest as I do want her to reflect as she was in '79. Wikipedia states she moved to NLON in '78 after a yard period, so I'm thinking the GNATS was added during that 2 year yard refueling period. My photo source is dated 1983 NAVSOURCE, your's in my source dates 1989. So I'm thinking it was added after I toured her. I may reach out to a former crew member.
                  v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Are we talking about this area?

It looks like to me, I am not a submariner, like a storage area. The triangular objet is a foam or sound dampener. The white item at their feet could be a bollard, but it is too far up. It may be a small pump and those are the hose(s) going to it. you can see some grating angled at the back of the storage.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n114927[/ATTACH] Are we talking about this area?
                    Last edited by trout; 06-22-2016, 12:34 PM.
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• BDFguy
                      Ensign
                      • May 2011

The mystery blob is nothing more than the OK-474 also known as self stream and retrieve for the BQR-25 array, the array and cable if on board was stored coiled up in a figure 8 and tied down to stanchions that could be installed on the trailing edge of the sail area, streaming/retrieving was a shaky op in any sea state but it worked for them. Install time frame was in the mid 80's. The OK-474 was also installed on the Skate class but you never saw it as it was under the superstructure aft of the sail Stbd side.These units replaced the clip on STASS tow point.
                      The other aft dome discussed here is more likely for GNAU vice GNATS based on the size of it the GNAU was a smaller projector for broadband noise generation only, it came about starting in the early 70's as the diesel boats (prime training target noise source) were all being decommed. GNATS was a slightly larger dome and covered 1 or both the GNAU projector and GNATS projector which generated tonals for narrow band tracking training. these systems were alluded to be sonar jammers in the book U. S. Submarines since 1945 a prime source of bum dope on sonar and fire control systems.

Comment

• bwi 971
                        Captain
                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by trout
                        Are we talking about this area?
                        it is long and has a cable tray running fwd and aft

Name:	Skip 00506.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	114931

Name:	Skip 00601.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	114932

Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                        "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

BDFguy and Bart, thank you for the information and clarification.
                          Peace,
                          Tom
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Sep 2015

Thank you ALL for the input.

Again I'll stick with just the GNATS on the stern.
                            v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

Working...