Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Revell 1:72 German VII U Boat Model Discontinued OFFICIAL

I recently wrote to Revell Germany and here is their response.

Many thanks for your E-Mail and your interests in our products.

Unfortunately we had to remove the 1/72 Type VII submarine from our range after 5 years. The reason was less sales on this item. At the moment we don't have any plans for an reintroduction. A reintroduction could be possible at the earliest in 4-5 years.

I'm really sorry to give you this bad news.

Best regards

Daniel Pasternok

+++++
    Daniel Pasternok
    Project Manager
    Dep.: Product Development

Revell GmbH & Co. KG
    Henschelstr. 20-30
    D-32257 Buende / Germany
    Sitz: Bünde / Amtsgericht Bad Oeynhausen HRA 4653
    Persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin:
    Revell Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH
    Sitz: Bünde / Amtsgericht Bad Oeynhausen HRB 7160
    Geschäftsführer: Hans Ulrich Remfert
    +++++
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Too bad. I've always dreamed of building a Type VII and playing Das Boot in the pool. Just that it was too expensive for me.
    Guess I can wait another 5 years.
    Who knows, another company (calling Trumpeter) might come up with their own and preferably cheaper version.
    Last edited by redboat219; 04-20-2010, 10:14 AM.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• pjdog
      Commander
      • Apr 2009

Wow - That's real bad news for me. The type VII is my favorate boat.

Jack

Comment

• nikiwpb
        Ensign
        • May 2010

My buddy and I have 2 unbuilt Revell's VIIC kits and 2 unbuilt Amati Type VII B that have been stored under my bed for years now...
        And after Revells "Big News", We are now thinking about Building one as a plug and build fiberglass hulls from it..
        We have done this before with other boat hulls but never thought of doing it with the revell sub kit because the Kits were everywhere and cheap..

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by nikiwpb
          My buddy and I have 2 unbuilt Revell's VIIC kits and 2 unbuilt Amati Type VII B that have been stored under my bed for years now...
          And after Revells "Big News", We are now thinking about Building one as a plug and build fiberglass hulls from it..
          We have done this before with other boat hulls but never thought of doing it with the revell sub kit because the Kits were everywhere and cheap..
          NO! ..... NO! ...... NO!!!!!!!!!

That is someone else's work (Revell of Germany, to be specific) and you will be stealing if you knock it off. The term is, 'pirating'. Don't be a Pirate; don't make tooling off of other peoples work without their permission. I hear of you doing it, I'll report you myself!

The aesthetic and engineered qualities of a product, temporarily out of production, still remains the property of the originator. You, the customer, merely buy copies of that product, that's how the originator gets compensated for his invention/good/service. You and your buddy, as responsible Craftsman should not, without the originator/current owners permission, make copies of that product.

You want more Revell Type-7 hulls? Go out there and buy all you need. Those kits are still out there.

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

I have to echo David very loudly on this one, please do not go and do that.

Some people think its "acceptable" to knock off a company or individuals work, it seems that some people seem more so to justify this when the company is large or "wealthy". The morals of stealing should not be watered down in terms of any perceived or indeed real wealth of the copyright owner. Stealing is stealing - simple. It is its wrong - please don't do it. Also remember, more so these days the "wealthy" firms employ expensive lawyers - consider yourself politely warned. Its wrong and if your caught it could cost you everything. Its not worth it.

J
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
            Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• nikiwpb
              Ensign
              • May 2010

I Guess I have to make my self clear..
              FIRST, NO I would not plan to SELL any hull that I made... But I do have friends that would like a hull to work with.. And The Revell kit has SO many thing WRONG with it that I COULDNT SELL it to any one with any sents of true scale detail to the hull..
              2nd, Revell stoppd making it because they were not making the money they needed to make..WE all know that. bottom line.
              Why would I make a badly detailed repro. of a kit at a high cost to me when Revell could'nt make money of it at a cheaper construction cost...

Comment

• Aug 2008

OK, as you suggested, maybe I misunderstood. If I got your intentions wrong, then I owe you a public appology. Let's find out.

So, to gain the needed clarity here, please answer this one simple question: Are you going to use the Revell kit as the foundation of the plug/master you will employ to make the tools needed to produce your fiberglass hulls?

I'll argue the virtues and liabilities of the Revell kit -- relating to its fidelity of scale to the prototype(s) -- at a later point. But, lets get the copying issue straightened out first.

And I will argue, right here, that Revell of Germany made a killing with this kit and its variants.

David,
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• nikiwpb
                  Ensign
                  • May 2010

Originally posted by Merriman
                  OK, as you suggested, maybe I misunderstood. If I got your intentions wrong, then I owe you a public appology. Let's find out.

So, to gain the needed clarity here, please answer this one simple question: Are you going to use the Revell kit as the foundation of the plug/master you will employ to make the tools needed to produce your fiberglass hulls?

I'll argue the virtues and liabilities of the Revell kit -- relating to its fidelity of scale to the prototype(s) -- at a later point. But, lets get the copying issue straightened out first.

And I will argue, right here, that Revell of Germany made a killing with this kit and its variants.

David,

For your clarity and mine on the issue, I would use the revell hull with as a base, rework torpedo doors, front vents, top vents, rear vents, and other defects in detail, Then make a mold of the hull and pull copy in a strong lightweight fiberglass to finish off MY r/c boat... And yet again I say "This is for my use and not for sale"..I have kit bashed many boats to get a better model for myself... Is this wrong? Am I doing somthing that I should hire a lawyer for...Love the hobby of ship modeling But I dont want to be sued.

Comment

• Aug 2008

For your clarity and mine on the issue, I would use the revell hull with as a base, rework torpedo doors, front vents, top vents, rear vents, and other defects in detail, Then make a mold of the hull and pull copy in a strong lightweight fiberglass to finish off MY r/c boat... And yet again I say "This is for my use and not for sale"..I have kit bashed many boats to get a better model for myself... Is this wrong? Am I doing somthing that I should hire a lawyer for...Love the hobby of ship modeling But I dont want to be sued.
                    Thank you for presenting your proposal here. And, no, I'm not suing you, nor am I going to report you as I indicated in the initial round of posts. By the way, I appreciate a guy who steps up to a challenge (and that's what I issued you), looks his opponent in the eyes and gets right to it. Your reasoned and clear follow-up posts demands of me, in the interest of decorum, a more curious and respectful response. So, that tone established ...

You've made your intentions clear.

My point is this, and my authority in this matter extends only to the words that appear on this screen (Revell of Germany likely has little worry that future kit sales will suffer from your proposed action): the 1/72nd scale type-7 'kits' you produce for use by you and your friends, will represent sales lost to Revell of Germany. Your master (plug you call it) will be substantially grounded on the Revell of Germany product -- your proposed project would not be possible without it. You will be, to some extent (but not in whole) producing articles, based in some part on Revell of Germany's kit, that otherwise would have been sales of the kit from the originator, Revell of Germany. In short, what you make from those tools, you won't buy from Revell of Germany.

I'm asking you not to do it. I won't blow the whistle on you; Revell of Germany would likely laugh me off anyway, just too small an issue for them to be chasing down to ground. But, I'm asking you not to use (without permission) an originators product in a process that will derive like copies of that product. I'm appealing to your sense of fair play here. May I suggest two options:

1. You further extend your craft abilities and scratch-built the entire master. Or,

2. You do what I've done in the past: contact the originator, explain your intentions, and ask for their permission to do so.

David,
                    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 05-13-2010, 02:00 PM.
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...