X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Pitch Control through Ballast shifting

I would like to hear the wizards opinion on using ballast shifting as an alternative to using the dive planes for pitch control.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

A fools errand.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RonP-UK
      Lieutenant
      • Feb 2010

Couldnt agree more David, When underway the effect of ballast shifting is minimal and the dynamics of the boat have far more effect, in the early days of developing the old Salcon I had a tank fail, it filled up with water but due to a duff switch it wouldnt empty, so surface trim was nose up like a bloody fishing float, but as soon as she was underway she picked her bum up, levelled off and still gave me a days sailing.
      How much ballast shift is that?

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
        I would like to hear the wizards opinion on using ballast shifting as an alternative to using the dive planes for pitch control.
        Why would youy want to when stern plane pitch controllers do such a great job?
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Suppose it depends on if you have any stern planes.

Ballast shifting works well at low speed, beyond that it's ineffective.

I've seen it used very effectively in a 1/32nd scale Holland, and also on some robotic fish.

Comment

Working...