Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

What I've Been Up To Last Week

Finishing up a turnkey job, the TI 31" Disney NAUTILUS.
    Attached Files
    Who is John Galt?
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Different colour scheme.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
      Different colour scheme.
      Not done yet, Andy.

After the primer gray I laid down the green. Just enough of the green will be left when finished to suggest verdigris. The rust and green will tone way done after I apply the 'dark bronze' final color. Then a very flat clear coat to protect the paint and stop the oxidization of the rust wash, and I'm done with it.

What a delightful departure from the normal subjects I assemble.

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Bill Harris
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Sep 2009

Beautiful build-- I've been following it for a while.

This Nautilus hull (by Lee Seiler) and the "other hull" (by Scott Brodeen) are cast polyurethane resin. My (finely-tuned, frequently correct, but not always) sense of intuition says that resin might be a problem in a large piece like a hull. How do you think it would be for dimensional stability and durability in the long-run?

--Bill

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Bill Harris
          Beautiful build-- I've been following it for a while.

This Nautilus hull (by Lee Seiler) and the "other hull" (by Scott Brodeen) are cast polyurethane resin. My (finely-tuned, frequently correct, but not always) sense of intuition says that resin might be a problem in a large piece like a hull. How do you think it would be for dimensional stability and durability in the long-run?

--Bill
          Bill,

Yeah ... don't know if those two have resolved the chicken/egg controversy between themselves. Two fine products.

That's easy to answer: Unreinforced resin pieces (the larger, the worse) Suck as structural elements! The thermosetting plastic exhibits very undesirable thermoplastic properties -- warping is the big issue with these things. You got to be pretty sharp with a heat-gun to get things back into shape. I wish this guy would produce the hull pieces as GRP!

DON'T leave it on the picnic table during a hot July afternoon!!!!!

But, I can't complain -- it's a beautiful piece of kit engineering (discounting the warping issues) it's a remarkably tight fitting kit. Assembly has been a joy!

David,
          Attached Files
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

I wonder why Bob, Jim and Scott haven't considered making available an epoxy or polyester resin cast version of their little 31" Nautilus. I think it would be better for R/C conversion. Perhaps a lack of demand (most prefer the 66" biggun for conversion)?

Comment

• Bill Harris
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Merriman
              Bill,
              That's easy to answer: Unreinforced resin pieces (the larger, the worse) Suck as structural elements! The thermosetting plastic exhibits very undesirable thermoplastic properties -- warping is the big issue with these things. You got to be pretty sharp with a heat-gun to get things back into shape. I wish this guy would produce the hull pieces as GRP!

DON'T leave it on the picnic table during a hot July afternoon!!!!!

David,
              That is what I figured.

One idea I'm toying with is to get one of the 31" resin Nautili and use it as a plug to make a mold and do my own 'glas hull. 99% of the beauty of this kit is in the wonderful detail and 99.9% of the work is in the %$#* rivets, so starting with that hull would be a great head start. And when I get done, I could pass the resin hull on to the next "victim" at a good price.

The 66" boat would be beautiful, but I'm not sure I want to take on a boat that large right now. I do rather like Slat's idea of a 1:72 fleet.

--Bill

Comment

• Aug 2008

That is what I figured.

One idea I'm toying with is to get one of the 31" resin Nautili and use it as a plug to make a mold and do my own 'glas hull. 99% of the beauty of this kit is in the wonderful detail and 99.9% of the work is in the %$#* rivets, so starting with that hull would be a great head start. And when I get done, I could pass the resin hull on to the next "victim" at a good price.

The 66" boat would be beautiful, but I'm not sure I want to take on a boat that large right now. I do rather like Slat's idea of a 1:72 fleet.

--Bill
                Bill, and all those looking over our shoulders:

On behalf of the professional Model Builder who constructed the master and who to this day has a commercial interest in that kit -- DON'T DO THAT!

What you are proposing is THEFT. Even if you use that tired old axiom, "I'm only building one or two for myself and maybe a friend."

If you're not prepared to do the hard work or secure permission from the property owner, and your only alternative is copy another's work, then you don't deserve your precious little toy submarine.

Don't copy other peoples work without their express permission.

We clear on this?

David,
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rpmtech1
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Merriman
                  Bill, and all those looking over our shoulders:

On behalf of the professional Model Builder who constructed the master and who to this day has a commercial interest in that kit -- DON'T DO THAT!

What you are proposing is THEFT. Even if you use that tired old axiom, "I'm only building one or two for myself and maybe a friend."

If you're not prepared to do the hard work or secure permission from the property owner, and your only alternative is copy another's work, then you don't deserve your precious little toy submarine.

Don't copy other peoples work without their express permission.

We clear on this?

David,
                  I could not agree more on what Dave just said. It hurts big time to see someone do that to your work.

Comment

• Bill Harris
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Sep 2009

Oh my, I wasn't even suggesting that!

Purchasing their model, and making specific improvements in their execution of the model so that it could be more suitable for the end product is a perfectly resonable use of that model. Were the model not made of cast resin, then the end-user would not need ot go to such great lengths to get something usable. As you said:
                    Unreinforced resin pieces (the larger, the worse) Suck as structural elements! The thermosetting plastic exhibits very undesirable thermoplastic properties -- warping is the big issue with these things. You got to be pretty sharp with a heat-gun to get things back into shape. I wish this guy would produce the hull pieces as GRP!
                    It ain't rocket science. I could see a complaint if I made one for myself and then sold a couple extra to offset expenses, but this is, and will be, one and only one copy for my use.

In a way, it's no different than Dave taking the Lindberg I-53 model and revising the bow, hatches and fittings for scale accuracy. Or making "fittings kits" to convert plastic display models to RC models. Or taking the TI Nautilus and modifying the prop for vectored thrust instead of using the designed rudder and planes for directional control.

Or, if Rick made his Foxtrot of cast resin instead of GRP, would he be shocked if a customer improved upon that?

But you're right, this may be an ethical gray area. Nice model, lousy material, I'll get plans and do my own from scratch.

What can I do to get back in your (and Rick's) good graces? :)

--Bill

Comment

• Bill Harris
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Sep 2009

At any rate, this is what I've been up to...

As my intro to RC boats, I'm building a Springer tug, which is a simple generic hull that will accept a variety of superstructures. In addition to the typical tugboat-top, I'm making two other tops for it, using 'glas and the lost-foam technique...
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

Now that is neat stuff! It looks like someone is going to beat Andy to the punch getting the Beatles Sub into the water.

Your character of the Disney NAUTILUS looks to be a fun little thing too.

And ... all original work. Bonus points, Bill.

David,
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

... What can I do to get back in your (and Rick's) good graces? :)

--Bill
                          Too late, Bill.

The contract on your life was bought up last night. Rose is, as we speak, on a plane to execute it (she works cheap).

So ... the next couple days, as you walk the Mall's shopping for holiday gifts, be on the lookout for a pudgy little 12-year old, in black, a well worn copy of Midnight under one arm and a violin case under the other.

On your behalf I called her a few minutes ago trying to void the arrangement. All I got from her was, "A deal's a deal, Grandpa!", and then some mumbled words about it just being business, or some such, as she slammed the phone down. It's been nothing but dial-tone since.

Sorry.

Can't speak about what Rick's going to do with you, Bill. Last I heard from Rick he was having a West Coast pirate decapitated and the ass-holes heart brought back as a trophy.

More as reports come in from the field.

David,
                          Attached Files
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Bill Harris
                            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                            • Sep 2009

It looks like someone is going to beat Andy to the punch getting the Beatles Sub into the water...
                            Nah, this will be a shell of a surface-runner, Andy'll be into the water by a longshot. I've got two boats in line ahead of it. I'd been toying with the idea of an operational YellowSub and came across a photo if Andy's hull (or plug). Exchanged a couple of eMails, and the idea went from "Hmmm" to "Do-able". It'll be interesitng to see how this turns out-- we're using different sources for our respective "One And True" Yellow Sub.

Too late, Bill.

The contract on your life was bought up last night. Rose...
                            Oh shoot, that sounds like bad news. She looks like a tough cookie.

Been nice knowin' you...

--Bill

Comment

• Aug 2008

Just heard back from Rose. She's on her way back (United has a great kids-fair deal this month -- with bonus miles).

You're in luck. This morning she sold her interest of the contract to a third-party Turkish hit-man. Some guy named, Keyser Soze.

So, no sweat. You're all but off the hook my friend.

David,
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...