X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

1/72 Foxtrot WTC options

No surprises I ordered (deposit down) one of the RPM kits that are coming out early next year.

As this baby has three screws was wondering what God had in the works re a WTC.

Using my 1/72 Oberon as some experience - trying to use a 3" WTC proved difficult. There was too much bouyant real estate in the 3" down low in the sub -which is where you don't want it, but was unavoidably down low to simply fit the slender hull. The 2.5" worked a treat. The Oberon whilst different has very similar dimensions to the Foxtrot.

Was thinking simple way was to employ one geared motor to 3 shafts via wet gear box. DM over to you.

J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

I have it. Developed over 15 years ago but never had a use (I was thinking QUEBEC at the time). I'll take pictures of the unit.

Takes a single shaft input and outputs three shafts: two outboard shafts turn opposed, the starboard one clockwise, the center one clockwise too.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

... God damit, Mike!
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Figured you'd have this all worked out, was thinking for the load of the three screws from the one output shaft that the geared motor might have to be of greater torque than the smaller 385 type sized can ones. Was this your thinking too -larger motor of say the Graupner 500 size?

J
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Slats

Was thinking simple way was to employ one geared motor to 3 shafts via wet gear box. DM over to you.

J

Yea! What he said! But torpedoes first please.
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Figured you'd have this all worked out, was thinking for the load of the three screws from the one output shaft that the geared motor might have to be of greater torque than the smaller 385 type sized can ones. Was this your thinking too -larger motor of say the Graupner 500 size?

J
            I'm lov'n this! John, who is hot to get a torpedo system, asking for a new Caswell-Merriman product in the middle of torpedo-launcher development. And Mike Caswell, who keeps hammering his favorite Elf for the torpedo-launcher system, watching that project delayed by current production work and 'other' product development.

Hey, you can only stretch this silly putty so far, guys!

Anyway, to please John, and **** Mike off: Here's some shots of the old three-shaft splitter and the new, high torque single-shaft 3.5" SD motor bulkhead:

... oop's! Just got back from the #1 shed. No three-shaft splitters or tooling. I may have thrown that stuff out. And no time to dig around the loft of the #2 shed. Sorry.

Good news is I've found the last of the 1/72 ALFA fittings kit items and was able to cobble pretty much a complete fittings kit for you. E-mail me the mailing address.
            David,
            Attached Files
            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 11-17-2009, 03:04 PM.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
              Vice Admiral
              • Aug 2008

Life is never boring.

Have flicked you an e-mail David re my address re Alfa- thanks a bunch for that.

Mike, can you get your people to process my order for the 2 x 3.5" motor endcaps and trays Dave's post and lexan tube please too.

Many thanks
              J
              Last edited by Slats; 11-17-2009, 05:17 PM. Reason: spellin
              John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
                • Aug 2008

Mike, can you get your people to process my order for the 2 x 3.5" motor endcaps and trays Dave's post and lexan tube please too.

J
                Waiting to receive them from HIM.
                Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Slats
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Aug 2008

don't mind waiting at all mike,
                  The thing I really like about this new WTC end cap is not only the additional torque but the fact the output shaft is in the centre which is exactly where I want it for the projects I have on. That's why I ordered two! The previous version had the gearbox offset and external. I'll be sure to do a write up of these when I get them running.

Best

J
                  John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Rpmtech1
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Merriman
                    I have it. Developed over 15 years ago but never had a use (I was thinking QUEBEC at the time). I'll take pictures of the unit.

Takes a single shaft input and outputs three shafts: two outboard shafts turn opposed, the starboard one clockwise, the center one clockwise too.
                    Ah ha, das right! Got the gears and I'll work it up when its time. Really simple.

Going to start with 4:1 geared 480, think it will be fine. The props are only ~25mm each, so should work out fine
                    Last edited by Rpmtech1; 12-14-2009, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rpmtech1
                      Ah ha, das right! Got the gears and I'll work it up when its time. Really simple.

Going to start with 4:1 geared 480, think it will be fine. The props are only ~25mm each, so should work out fine
                      Oh, hell! That's right ... I promised pictures. Cast up a unit a few weeks ago, I'll toss some gears in there and will show it off as promised. Mine does not reduce, but has a 1:1 input/output. And it operates in the wet.

David,
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...