Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Today's R/C Boating At Mount Trashmore

Well, for the first time this year (other than the recent Carmel SubRegatta) I got to play with one of my toy submarines. I spent the morning getting my Moebius SEAVIEW ready with the addition of a set of flood-drain holes near the bow, followed by the normal pre-mission checks.

Operation of the model at the lake revealed that in a bit of wind the boat is prone to being blown over on its side a bit too much. I'll have to shift some of the foam higher up to raise the metacentric height.

Other than that the boat handled well and the additional flood-drain holes did the job of reducing diving time significantly. All went well till the end of the internal antenna somehow found its way into the port propulsion tube, wrapping itself around the pump-jet rotor, stalling the motor, burning it out. Something to add to the 'to do' list on the chores to do tomorrow.

Had a good time with the local r/c boaters. The festivities continued at the the local all-you-can-eat where we all enjoyed an evening meal and good company. Talked with the guys about this years Carmel SubRegatta, and some of them indicated a serious interest in attending next years event -- we'll see.

Anyway, play-time's over. Back to work. Mr. Caswell hit me up with more PO's last week and I have to get product out the door this Tuesday.
    Attached Files
    Who is John Galt?
  • dave_mcwhite@cox.net
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Sep 2009

Seaview Bow Blow Openings

David,

Tell us more on why you needed the new forward blow opeings? How did you determine where to cut them and the overal area required? Was this a last min. fix or had you known of this issue long? I am finishing up my Seaview and still have time to cut these holes if needed. Do you think that if you had left the origional display stand keel oenings alone, that this would have provided the needed water flow?
    Last edited by dave_mcwhite@cox.net; 09-12-2009, 02:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by dave_mcwhite@cox.net
      David,

Tell us more on why you needed the new forward blow opeings? How did you determine where to cut them and the overal area required? Was this a last min. fix or had you known of this issue long? I am finishing up my Seaview and still have time to cut these holes if needed. Do you think that if you had left the origional display stand keel oenings alone, that this would have provided the needed water flow?

Without the new flood-drain openings and the pump-jets going 'ahead', a partial vacuum is created within the hull that prevents filling of the ballast tank when the vent valve is opened. The opening bust the vacuum so the boat can submerge while underway.

Start with the two open stand holes, if that's not enough open up the holes near the bow like I did.

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

David,
        nice to see you getting your own stick time in.
        Any photos of the boats underway?

best
        J
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
          Vice Admiral
          • Aug 2008

Ps - thanks for posting the photos of drilling those holes out - just learnt something with the low tack tape over the top to prevent filing causing fraying edges.
          I have been using other tape (more sticky) that did not seem to work that well in this regard

Thanks
          J
          John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Slats
            David,
            nice to see you getting your own stick time in.
            Any photos of the boats underway?

best
            J

Hey, John! How's it going? No underway shots, sorry. Too busy having fun.

On another topic: Have you been following my building thread over at RCGroups on converting (correcting) the just released 1/72 Lindberg-Hawk I-53 Japanese, Kaiten carrying submarine? I know how hot you down-under guys are for anything in 1/72.

Also, did Chuck get the word out that he's got a commit from a GRP manufacturer to produce that much wanted 1/72 FOXTROT kit? I'll be involved in a small way.

Film at eleven.

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
              Captain
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
              Also, did Chuck get the word out that he's got a commit from a GRP manufacturer to produce that much wanted 1/72 FOXTROT kit? I'll be involved in a small way.
              David,
              Its going to be sweet
              Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Slats
                Vice Admiral
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
                Hey, John! How's it going? No underway shots, sorry. Too busy having fun.

On another topic: Have you been following my building thread over at RCGroups on converting (correcting) the just released 1/72 Lindberg-Hawk I-53 Japanese, Kaiten carrying submarine? I know how hot you down-under guys are for anything in 1/72.

Film at eleven.

David,
                Yes to all that - have e-mailed you.
                Best
                J
                John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
                  • Aug 2008

Lest we forget! This Japanese sardine can is detracting The Wizard from torpedoes, so don't encourage him! :wink:
                  Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

Working...