X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

More About Revell VII Fittings Kit Production

The below shots will bring you up to date on the last two days work:

Both the single disc tool, used for metal casting and the other tools, used for resin casting comprised two-piece construction. The trick is to imbed the masters half-way in clay and to then pour the first half of rubber over the exposed portions of the masters. Here I've taken some of the masters off the cardboard I used to figure lay-out and have gotten them into the clay. The MDF mold-boards give a firm backing to the clay and the tape wrapped around the mold-boards forms a damn, or containment to hold the liquid rubber till it changes state to a solid.

The masters are pushed into the clay and a stiff brush (kept wet) is used to stipple the clay around the perimeter of each master to bring the clay up tight against their edges. The shank end of various sized drill bits are pushed into the clay to form a network of dimples that will materialize in the clay as positive indexing tits -- those tits will produce negatives in the second mold half which forms the indexing network that keeps the assembled tool halves in perfect registration to one another. I lightly scribe into the clay the feed and vent channels. The centrally running brass dowel will form the main sprue channel.

Once all masters are in place, stippled down tight into the clay and the feed and vent channels identified, the entire face of the retained masters and clay is given a coat of mold-release agent. The Mann 200 is perfect for this job, and it's also the stuff I used to prep the tool before each casting operation -- the stuff is great and extends tool life considerably when compared to other parting liquids I've tried.

Starting the pour of the first tool halves. The catalyzed rubber has been de-aired by subjecting the mix to a hard vacuum for several minutes -- a vital step for tools that will be subject to positive/negative air pressure and/or heat during the casting operation.

The blue rubber is TC-5050, available from BJB Inc. This stuff was used for the disc tool because this rubber ability to work at temperatures as high as 600 degrees. The Purple rubber is the more flexible and quicker curing Polytek 70-21 ... expensive as hell, but time is money in my shop.

One of the resin casting tools, only one-half of the tool did at this point, next to the masters and clay that gave its face form. The masters will be transferred to the rubber just as soon as the face and cavities of the tool is given a good shot of mold-release spray.

Pouring the second half of the disc tool.

Almost done with tool fabrication.

Finally! ... production parts! Here are some metal shots from the disc tool. I cast in white-metal, 95% Tin, 5% Antimony.

Molten metal is introduced through the central sprue hole only after the disc has been brought up to speed in this modified blood separation centrifuge. At the bottom of the shot, to the right is the metal melting pot. To the Left is a Moto-Tool speed controller I used to set the speed of the centrifuge.

Cast metal parts.

And assembled rudder foundation piece, to verify proper operation of the rudder linkage using production parts. Worked great, no problem. And some of the cast metal parts I produced today.

Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
    Thanks for sharing this great Info.
    Now we know why it takes so long. :)
    There you go, Rick.

What ... you thought I just pooped this stuff out?!

What I do is a very involved and exacting trade/craft. I literally invent and produce things from here. How many people can do this with the consistency I have demonstrated over the years?

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
      Rear Admiral
      • Nov 2008

Yep, Hot metal in a centrifuge is something I don't think I want to try.
      The Polytek rubber is the same stuff we use, and yes it is 'expensive as hell'. :)
      We've not tried any high temp stuff yet, I doubt we will and anyone that does has my Respect and Admiration.
      Rick L.
      --------------------------------------------
      * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
      Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Just curious David,would it be feasible to cast those parts in resin instead of white metal?
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
          Yep, Hot metal in a centrifuge is something I don't think I want to try.
          The Polytek rubber is the same stuff we use, and yes it is 'expensive as hell'. :)
          We've not tried any high temp stuff yet, I doubt we will and anyone that does has my Respect and Admiration.

Ellie and I have the scars from the process. Badges of honor (she does not agree, of course). When metal gets slung out of the machine I catch it waist high. However, Ellie (small Filipino gal) catches it tits high.

First time she got burned was when I first got into the process. It went like this:

I had just done two test shots with success (this was before I came to appreciate the need for a splash-shield). So, I want Ellie to see the operation and call her into the shop to watch. Wouldn't you know it, it was while she was only feet from the machine that just after I introduced the molten metal, the spinning disc slipped off the mount and slung hot metal all over us and the rest of the shop. Boy, did that hurt!

Ellie screamed so loud and shrill that dogs responded! The woman was not amused.

Don't know why, but ever since that little incident it's been hell just getting her to the door of the shop.

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...