What ever happened to the I 53 projects ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Bruce Martin
    Last winter I decided to go ahead with building the I-53, and converting it to the I-58 it will be my impression of that boat, yes the kit is a bit of a mess, so if you would like to see what I have done so far, you could go to the Subcommittee website look on the builders thread and you will find it.

Later Bruce Martin
    I don't see it there. Can you be more specific where to look there?

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

Try this one.

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• type7
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Apr 2009

A couple of reviewers on Britmodeller, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/i...arine-i53-172/ say the sub looks more like I-153. What does everyone think about it?

Comment

• Albion
          Captain
          • Dec 2008

A little anal on the holes, but it's not a million miles away from std.
          Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Albion
            Captain
            • Dec 2008

A little anal on the holes, but it's not a million miles away from std.
            Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
              Thank you. Very good WIP there. Keep us updated on this conversion.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

This is my favorite build of the kit. He took a problematic kit and turned it into a work of art!
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Oct 2011

The plot thickens. The more I see about this kit, the more intreague. I havent opened the box as yet but after all the reviews and builds I have seen, its going to have to have, quite a bit of scratch building, to make it look like a good representation of any of the large IJN cargo boats. Hull, deck and tower discrepancies, limited accurate drawings, most existing photographs are poor resolution, not to mention, the boat is butt ugly, krude and nasty. I am committed. Only thing slowing me down on this one, will be getting the permit to add on another room. Maybe I could use the hallway to the bedrooms. Second thought, my 8ft 1/48scale Fletcher tin can wont make the turn in the hall and has to go thru the window to get out. Kinda like Gibbs on NCIS. Build a big wood sailboat in the basement. DUH?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Oct 2011

this is what I'm going forClick image for larger version

Name:	I-20tou.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	98842I-20 was one of the Pearl Harbor delivery boats. the 24 was most likely the same configguration, on Dec 7th with the single sub on the aft deck, and early war netcutter like the U boats. These boats constantly changed configguration during the war, so no way of knowing for sure now.

Comment

Working...