X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Extended time in water - paint finishes

Haven't had much experience with this so I'm hoping someone can chime in.

Is there anything that I need to take into account for a model sub that will see extended time in a freshwater aquarium (I'm talking months/years). I assume there will be a degree of discoloration over time. Any chance that decals will separate under the paint, chemicals leach out into the water, or anything else that's not super-desirable?

I have a Trumpeter Seawolf that a customer wants to drop in his freshwater aquarium. I've sealed it with clearcoat, but wanted to see if anyone had any red flags to wave before I let it go to him (with all due cautions and limits of liability safely in place, of course)
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

The clear-coat will likely blush white over time as it absorbs water. Is the light source over the tank UV? That could be an issue.

Google the product property charts for the paints used and see what they say.

For extended water time I would go with one of the commercial two-part (epoxy) marine coating systems. Devco and the like.

Explore our product resources to learn more about how we help customers achieve optimal coating specification, application and maintenance.

Go get 'em, Bob.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
      Rear Admiral
      • Oct 2011

I have put model ships in aquariums for extended periods. ie. Aurora Pirate ship painted with Testors Namel, Which was lead based paint back in the day. Had it in the tankk for years. About the only thing that happened was the paint on the boat faded on the window side of the aquarium, due to the UV. And there was all the algi that grew on it. Decals most likely would be an issue, if they wernt sealed with a clear coat of some kind. You wont get any chemicles leaching from the water to compromise the paint. The aquarium's PH balance is properly maintained, for life support, if its a fish tank. On the other hand the paint from the boat might tip the PH in the tank and kill the fish. Id go with Krylon enamal, Waterproof, Inexpensive and just about any color. I painted my ocean kayak with it about 6 years ago use it all the time. Only places that show wear, is where the paint chips and dings are from tossing it around on rocks and concrete. I dont think flat black or the 50 shades of submarine grey fade underwater. just direct sunlight. Red pigment paint fades the most, of the 3 primary colors, so redish bottom paints may get lighter. Rustolium is an alternative waterproof paint and UV resistant as well.
      Last edited by Von Hilde; 03-03-2015, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

Thanks for the replies, guys! I have a Rustoleum clear that I've already used to seal the model. I'll hit it again for safety's sake and let it go, fingers crossed!

Comment

Working...