X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scott T
    Commander
    • May 2009

The SD from Hel...

Problem is that the microbe sized servos have projecting mounting pads, elements of the PC board that comprises the foundation for all mechanical and electronic items. Pads, that prevent side-by-side use of the servo within the servo box -- the pads get in the way. Trouble is, that at one end of the PC board that set of pads has routed around their perimeter, conducting foil, both sides of the board. Cut off those pads and you clobber four circuit runs! Trouble is, you gotta get rid of the pads, and that means you're in for some SMT caliber soldering as you lay down some small gauge conductor to restore the circuit paths interrupted when you chop off the pads.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	103148
    What if you mounted these on edge with a rod and magnet.
    This would keep from cutting the tabs and needing to solder.

Scott T
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

... however, doing this way gobbles up space in the servo-box. Now, where are you going to stick the receiver.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
      Captain
      • Sep 2012

Hiya, Scott T!!

The way I overcame this problem with my Revel Skipack was this:

Look closely at the 4 mounting tabs on the servos. The tabs on one end do not pass any current though them. I cut those tabs off on both of the servos.
      Then they can be staggered, opposite ends together, and one ahead of the other, with the ends still having the tabs facing away from eachother. This allows them to be mounted closer together, side by side.

Mount them to the servo box "tray", as close together as possible. Now you should be able to see that only 1 tab, on each servo, will interfere with the inside of the servo box! Where those tabs will interfere, just dremel out some pockets deep enough to clear the tabs, but not so deep as to go through the sides of the servo box. Problem rectified!!!

I posted this method a number of months ago to one of David's CABAL Reports: "Todays work on the little revel skipjack fittings kit"!
      See post number 195, on Page 20. Aw, POOP! The attachment photos are no longer there!! Geez!!!

Hey, brother "M"! Anything you can do about that to help out Scott???

crazygary

Comment

Working...