X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bullock111
    Ensign
    • Jun 2014

Made a mistake

Hi, I am Sean this is my first post. I just recieved my first parts towards building the Gato Revell submarine. I have to say thank you to the gentleman at caswell that took my order, I believe his name was John. My order arrived correct withing 2 days of my call and he was very helpful. He even went and checked to make sure what I wanted was ready to ship so I knew it was coming. I got my videos from the sale he had on ebay and my fittings, weights and template from him.
    My other comment is about the videos themselves, the videos are great! I have watched the first 3 several times and udually let them run on a loop while I am working so they constantly refresh my mind as to what I am doing. The problem is that the man in them makes it look to damn easy...lol...thankfully he explains things very well. If anyone is working on this build I would highly reccomend the videos as they are worth every penny!!
    Now for my mistake. I was drilling my rudder and my late cat decided to jump from a shelf and use me for the landing, regretably for my back and rudder she made a perfect 4 point landing. After cleaning up the mess and finding the remains of the rudder I discovered that I had pretty well destroyed it. Does anyone know the best way to make or replace said rudder? I would love to find a replacement comparable to the planes that come in the Caswell fittings kit if they exist, they are wonderfully made and would solve alot of problems.

Thank you for any help you can give, Sean
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Sean,
    Welcome! Have you seen my mistakes?

Look at the 18th posting.
    You can make it through this!
    Peace,
    Tom
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

'Late' cat. Ha! Know the feeling.

About those DVD's: Ignor that man behind the curtain -- listen to the Great Oz!

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

How about using epoxy putty?
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Make the fix with CA and baking-soda - quick work. No big deal.

Kill the cat, display his skin on the side of the house as a warning to other cats, and move on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9573.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	91684

M
          Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 06-30-2014, 09:15 AM.
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Without a photo, we are shooting in the dark. All the suggestions mentioned above (minus skin the cat) will help repair your rudder. You will learn a lot on the way to having a successful running sub. To quote Oz or M, "it is not rocket science"
            my first sub, it was all rocket science, now I understand what David meant.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• bullock111
              Ensign
              • Jun 2014

I have to learn how to do photos before i can post them, Mainly i jammed the bit sideways and wallowed out the hole and got the wrong angle. I think i may be able to work ca and baking soda in it and patch the side, then i should be able to redrill it. I have been looking at it and might try to cast on, i have never done that and it might be interesting.
              That cat skin might look good on the wall, she laid a 6 inch gash in my girlfriends leg when she decide to run across her on the couch. she was never bad before but is old and appears to be going stupid and senile at the same time. Even the dog hides from her now...lol

I am going to look at the other build recommended right now, then to the store for supplies.

Comment

• bullock111
                Ensign
                • Jun 2014

Ok I have an off topic question for you, I bought a tamiya r/c tank that was painted with testors enamel paint that i want to strip off. I believe they are styrene parts. Does anyone have any ideas for removing the paint?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Oven cleaner or brake-fluid.

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

I use to use brake fluid(has to be fresh) to strip the paint off of plastic HO scale locomotive shells. It worked great...........except one time I had a 2-8-0 Bachman Steam engine that I wanted to strip and repaint. As usual, I immersed it in Brake fluid overnight. When I came back the next day, it had removed the paint all right....as well as all the detail, including rivets and pipes and everything else right off. So, when in doubt, try a small area, or submerge it for a short period of time , checking up on it from time to time.
                    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• alad61
                      Commander
                      • Jan 2012

Try a product called smart strip made in the US by a mob called Drummond. It's what I used to strip black spray paint off the shell of my Aoshima Mad Max 2 model. I just go oped it on and sat it in a big Tupperware container over night. Then I just washed it off under warm/hot tap water with a soft toothbrush.
                      Cheers,
                      Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                      But to dream is a reality

Comment

Working...