Does anyone know the best quadcopter to buy for a beginner?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Does anyone know the best quadcopter to buy for a beginner?

I'm really interested in learning to fly a quad-coptor. Any ideas welcome. Thanks
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Can't give any direct recommendations, as this is one form of R/C flying I haven't tried personally, although I have been flying fixed wing for many years and dabbled in helicopters (very small ones). In my experience lighter machines are easier to fly, and when they crash they tend to bounce rather than break, which is easy on the wallet and the ego.

Comment

• KevinMc
      Commander
      • Feb 2009

In a similar vein to Andy's comments, I'd also specifically get something that your local hobby shop has parts for! Accept that it's going to get broken while you learn, so you may as well choose something that you can repair quickly and get back into the air.

On the other hand, maybe you're looking to get so deep into it that we're talking about one of those machines that does all the flying for itself and you're just "suggesting" which direction it moves in. ;)
      Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
      KMc Designs

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Home-Land Security: call your office!

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• red_noir
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Jun 2009

Hobbyking - the world's No1 Online Hobby Store. We stock a huge selection of RC products from Planes right through to Drones and all accessories. Visit Us Today.

heres a good place to start.

chuck

Comment

• alad61
            Commander
            • Jan 2012

I got one of those AR Drones that you can fly from iPad, iPhone or android. The parts are available via ebay as well as there a couple of fair to good forums on the drone too. And by the way don,t think flying it from your pad or phone makes them crash proof...
            Cheers,
            Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
            But to dream is a reality

Comment

• Buellman1
              Lieutenant
              • Mar 2013

Blade 350 qx.. nearly fly itself or goes crazy in stunt mode. Switchable mode on radio. Can carry a gopro camera and any one can fly it. About $450. Had mine for 6 months without crashing and loads of video. Id get carbon fiber blades n adaptors for it once you can fly it.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                Welcome to my underwater realm!
                • Aug 2009

No experience with the Blade 350, but I have both a DJI Phantom and DJI F550. The Phantom is a massive value for the price. My 10 year old son was flying it after two minutes of instruction. I can't say enough good things about it. I got a great hard case for it and can take it anywhere in a 24x12x18" case.

Comment

• herrmill
                  Commander
                  • Dec 2008

One Brand to Stay Away From

No matter what model you decide on, just stay away from this brand.

I hear it tends to get a tad nose heavy & has problems when it comes to sufficient lift.

Click image for larger version

Name:	airborne.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	91165

Comment

• crazygary
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2012

Bit of a "heat seeker" too, me thinks!!

CG

Comment