• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

Or the 3" SAS SD (cough, cough)?

Dan
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Yes to both of you -- the 1/60 ALBACORE is big enough to take either the 3.5 or the 3-inch SD. I've got Mike changing the ad copy to the 3" SD -- it was listed months ago, but I miss-stated its use and diameter (matter of omission). Anyway, Mike is changing the copy in the catalog so you can more easily find that SD there.

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

The ingenious way David has done the aft stern cone piece means that his GRP hull can be mated to just about any phase stern set up that you want. David do you suggest a mechanical "screw" connection for the stern cone to the GRP lower hull or combination of screws and fibreglass?

The 3" SAS SD that I have purchased and will be soon decking out my style (which means a custom tray). In my view, if you have the funds to spring for a dedicated SD for this, the 3" SAS is the preferred option as you will keep the height of the SD lower in the hull than the 3.5". But like David says the Skipjack unit will fit it and amply support operations.

In my case - I viewed all of the previous literature on the plastic kit, the 3" D&E WTC that David mounted for many years yielded a better than average turning boat. When I found out that David was producing the GRP version I wanted to buy a dedicated SD for this project. This will be my first all Merriman engineered sub, i.e. GRP hull kit plus 3" state of the art SAS SD. To me that translates to Bespoke on Bespoke - worth every penny.

There are so many interesting ways to portray the Albacore. I'm saving the Albacore Forerunner book for my vacation, but in the meantime I'd love to find some good dope on paint schemes that underpinned each Phase of the boat, unless of course the Forerunner of the Future text is the way to go.

I take it David you will be including WTC saddles for both 3" and 3.5" diameter SDs?

J
        Last edited by Slats; 04-13-2014, 08:30 PM.
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Aug 2008

I finally completed the ALBACORE. Here's some video shot from the surface. Hope to get some u/w shots in tomorrow. Enjoy!

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Wow, that has an amazing turn radius. I notice a small amount of flutter in the sail plane, but the underwater performance rocks! Look forward to the underwater video. Well done sir.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
              Wow, that has an amazing turn radius. I notice a small amount of flutter in the sail plane, but the underwater performance rocks! Look forward to the underwater video. Well done sir.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4096.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	98609 That's the dorsal rudder. Which, on this model, is active and responds to roll. (Actually, the phase-2 ALBACORE did not have an active dorsal rudder, so I'm a bit out of scale with this display). A fortunate accident: the dorsal rudder servo chatters a bit when the LPB is running -- which turns out to be a useful visual cue, telling me that that pumps working when I command it to. So, I'm not going to do anything about the twitching you see in the video.

The excellent depth control during radical turning commands -- which would be all but impossible on a normal boat -- is because the dorsal rudder works to keep the boat from rolling inboard (a consequence of sail 'foil' roll force) as the angle-of-attach shifts when rudders yaw the hull about.

Name:	DSCF4120.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	98610 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4082.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	98611 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4101.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	98614 That control surface also contributes significantly to the boats total drag in a turn -- a great way to recover from an unwanted 'depth excursion'!

I also posted this video to Make John Slatter crazy(r).

M
              Attached Files
              Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 05-20-2015, 02:57 PM.
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]31410[/ATTACH] That's the dorsal rudder.
                Thank you for the correction. Now that I think about it, it was dumb to call it a plane because the controll surface is vertical in orientation.

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                I also posted this video to Make John Slatter crazy(r).
                Great, more name calling and knashing of teeth! After that little video, I think it will drive more people crazy. So, when will this come to market?
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                  Thank you for the correction. Now that I think about it, it was dumb to call it a plane because the controll surface is vertical in orientation.

Great, more name calling and knashing of teeth! After that little video, I think it will drive more people crazy. So, when will this come to market?
                  Not dumb, as it effects a torque about the roll axis, it would be properly called an aileron. But, I digress!

Name calling a specialty, pal! It's what I do.

Name:	000_000_ygp7316.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	98615 The Caswell-Merriman 1/60 kit of the ALBACORE has progressed to completion of the masters, next job is the tooling. Then crank out the kits which will feature GRP hull and resin sail and appendages, with cast white-metal detail pieces.

And never mind what Skip or Matt think about this new 1/60 ALBACORE kit. Skip's hanging it up, and Matt has failed to crank out a new kit in ... what ... ten years?

With regard to Matt Thor: He had a good run (with my help) in the 90's. But he's long since run out of gas. So much promised in the last few decades. So little delivered to the buying public. So, for my part, enough courtesy waiting on Matt Thor to get product to market; enough of his many announcements of 'new' product -- that dodge is getting old! Me and Mike are plowing on.

Poop or get off the pot, Matt! Lead, or follow. Pick one.

"Why don't you let us take over from here, Emil?"

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Great job there Dave. We can see that you didnt have a video taking person with you today, but you improvised and got it done anyway. Good Deal! We are getting closer to a Phase one Albacore at some point. I cant wait. Its nice that you have the use of that pool.
                    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                      Great job there Dave. We can see that you didnt have a video taking person with you today, but you improvised and got it done anyway. Good Deal! We are getting closer to a Phase one Albacore at some point. I cant wait. Its nice that you have the use of that pool.
                      Yeah, Mr. Tripod to the rescue!

The initial release will be like what Skip did: phase-2. Then I offer phase conversion kits to cover the other four (they want polymer injection, they do it themselves!).

The guys at Lynnhaven Dive Center have been so kind over the years -- it would have been so easy to say 'no'. But, they gave me a chance -- and I make it a point to let them drive the toys when they have a few moments away from the sales floor. Gotta keep greasing the wheels, you know.

M
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2008

1/72 Alfa next please :)
                        Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Subculture
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

If you're filming on your todd, and need to pan around I find a small 808 keyfob cam attached to the peak of a baseball hat tracks the line of sight pretty well. I took some film of my flying wing foamy thingamybob, which cranks along to try it out a few months back.

Comment

• ffr2608
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Oct 2009

Nice work!!!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                              If you're filming on your todd, and need to pan around I find a small 808 keyfob cam attached to the peak of a baseball hat tracks the line of sight pretty well. I took some film of my flying wing foamy thingamybob, which cranks along to try it out a few months back.

I like that! I'll do that next time. Thanks, Andy.

M
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Peter W
                                Captain
                                • May 2011

Mr M. Wow that thing looks good in the water. Love stability of it and the responsive control.

Peter

P.S. All that water and you drive it straight into the buoy....

Comment

Working...