X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimster1
    Ensign
    • Dec 2008

Bad E Bay experience!!

I'm in the process of getting ready to start construction on my Moebus Skipjack model. I saw on EBay a pretty nice looking "copper" (really brass) propeller from a Chinese vendor. I made my purchase and awaited the arrival from China. It didn't take long, maybe a week, for the package to arrive. Opening the package revealed a propeller that looked quite unlike the one illustrated in the listing. It looked really bad. The blades on the propeller were flat as canoe paddles, while the listing showed nicely cupped blade like a prototype propeller. I quickly complained, and I was offered the chance to return the item at my cost and my original purchase price would be refunded. Not accepting this proposition, my money was refunded. I offer this scenario as a warning to other Skipjack modellers, don't waste your money ($45). the propeller is a POS. (Piece of s..t) I suspect that the photo in the listing was actually of the Moebius plastic part and he hoped no one would notice the difference. I did.
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Can you post the name of the vendor?
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

I applaud the vendor's willingness to refund the money without return of product. That said, I appreciate Jimster1's heads up on this particular after-market SKIPJACK item.

Soon after the kits hit the market I got a request/heads-up from Moebius about permitting a second-party to copy the kits propeller for investment brass castings of the propeller for sale. I sent in my approval/acknowledgment and those have been on the market for some time. Jimster1's experience strikes me as being with a source unknown to me.

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

I applaud the vendor's willingness to refund the money without return of product. That said, I appreciate Jimster1's heads up on this particular after-market SKIPJACK item.

Soon after the kits hit the market I got a request/heads-up from Moebius about permitting a second-party to copy the kits propeller for investment brass castings of the propeller for sale. I sent in my approval/acknowledgment and those have been on the market for some time. Jimster1's experience strikes me as being with a source unknown to me.

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• jimster1
          Ensign
          • Dec 2008

The vendor calls himself RC-SUB-WORKSHOP. I would have been delighted if the product had been a brass casting. In reality, it's a brass cone with the five blades soldered to it. It's too bad they didn't take the time to put a curve into the blades. they have an ever so slight curve, but are essentially flat. I can't speak for the quality of the other items he sells, only the propeller. On a different note, I did the original translation of the Modell Werft article.

Comment

• crazygary
            Captain
            • Sep 2012

Sorry to hear that, jimster1!

Another of our members had a bad experience with one of their WTC's, too!!
            Be forewarned, and good luck with your build!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Oh! ... the 'pizza-box affair'?
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

I bought one of their mini snort pump. So far, so good.

Comment

• crazygary
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2012

I'm thinking that, being an Asian concern, their electrical items should be pretty good!!?
                  I've got a few of their "mechanical" type items and am pretty satisfied with them.
                  Things like shaft seals and universal joints are pretty decent.
                  They may be over-diversifying and getting a little lost in the process.

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

This be the item?http://www.rc-sub-workshop.com/pimgs/images/3(2).jpg

Comment

• crazygary
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2012

Wow!!
                      Looks like a prototype that accidentally got shipped!
                      What a shame! Here you're anticipating it's arrival so you can get your sub in the water, then are confronted by
                      this. Really blows a hole in yer sails, eh!
                      Bummer!!
                      Thanks for the "heads up", Jimster1! Your post will for sure save someone else from
                      gettin' punked!! Sorry it happened to you!
                      Good luck with your build.

Comment

Working...