• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crazygary
    Captain
    • Sep 2012

O.K.!
    Dumb question for the "tankies"!!

Am I correct in assuming that you can buy a 1/16" scale plastic tank kit, and convert it to r/c?
    And if so, does there exist something akin to, "R/C Model Tank Building For Dumba**es""??

Inquiring minds want to know!! Hah!!

Many thanks for any responses!!

Comment

• Mcgowan1
      Lieutenant
      • Feb 2013

Okay Dummies haha, mate it's cheaper to buy a going concern used or new. I do not know about the US but depending on what you are after of course the price alters.
      The tanks come as follows
      Smoke, fire plastic 6mm balls, have sound etc
      Some are infra red equipped with recoiling barrels and lights and sound.
      Tamiya most expensive of the lot, you have to sometimes buy extra to kit it out to your satisfaction.
      Mostly come in 1/24, 1/16 and then the bigger stuff like Ammotek 1/6 scale with a great Sherman basic metal kit 3000 English pounds.
      I would look at that big auction house over there and there is bound to be something that helps out.
      If you do buy a kit then believe me all the running gear and electrics are now cheap.
      Main makers, Tamiya, Henglong, Matarro who do a nice Sherman, and that's 1/16.
      There is one other I can't think of the name that does a good job of 1/24 scale it.
      Hope that helps a wee bit, a lot more but I could ramble on for ages - cheers Mcgowan1
      Love is a Nimitz.

Comment

• Mcgowan1
        Lieutenant
        • Feb 2013

Sorry in my last it should read Electrics NOT CHEAP. Sorry about that.
        Love is a Nimitz.

Comment

• alad61
          Commander
          • Jan 2012

I agree Tamiya are a little extra $$ but it is a true kit and not a pre assembled rtr or artr. Though they aren't 100% accurate they are more accurate than others but then very few, if any production kits are 100% accurate. Let's face it some one will always find fault with a model.

Heng long tanks and others from what I have researched run about a half to a third of the Tamiya price but buy the time you get the essential upgrades like metal gear box and items to decorate the hull etc you start getting up towards the Tamiya range. My advice Gary is to jump on YouTube and Google as there are lots of info, vids and forums to help, view, understand or confuse you.

I understand why blokes young & old go for the artr and rtr stuff but me I prefer the kit stuff. Too many years of assembling and build models I guess. My next tank will be the M26 Pershing tank but I have a couple of projects to knock off first.
          Cheers,
          Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
          But to dream is a reality

Comment

• crazygary
            Captain
            • Sep 2012

Many thanks to both of you for the dreaded "sticker shock" syndrome!! Hah!!

Will certainly look through Ebay and check Google, etc!!

Indeed, RTR are for those with limited modeling experience! This old timer has been at it for
            far more years than I would like to recall!!

Very much appreciate the $$$$ heads up, gents!

Have a good one!

Comment

• Mcgowan1
              Lieutenant
              • Feb 2013

Mate stick with what you can afford, you can upgrade at any time bit by bit. There is no difference with a Tamiya when it's finished to a Hen long believe me. Sure go for a Tamiya but it is to me like a Porsche to a volkswagon you pay for the Porsche but boy can you do up some Vw's, anyway enough said do not go andClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140228_130607.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	90163Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140228_130537.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	90164Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140228_130612.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	90166 buy one of the best until you decide if you like the tanks.
              Here is a WSN Infra red Tiger it's not a Tamiya by all means but I am more than happy with it's looks, performance and I paid 100.00 at auction, added some thingies and finished the job cheaply. I personally like tanks that look like they are in a battle area. Just me but in War you very rarely see a pristine tank do you?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140228_130526.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	90160

This is an infra red tank which has sound, a recoiling barrel with lights on end of barrel and machine gun. If you are fighting with other tanks like this, range of beam is 5 metres and if you are hit 3 times your tank will go out of action for15 - 20 mins haha so you get a fair go at being killed.
              Love is a Nimitz.

Comment

• herrmill
                Commander
                • Dec 2008

If you're interested in kit conversions on a cheaper budget, by all means consider the smaller 1:24 & 1:35 scale where you'll find aftermarket sources for electronics & drivetrain. Here are a couple suppliers to consider that will give you an idea on the costs to expect.

Do a web search for AFV kit conversions & you'll find some good examples. I've been toying for the idea of converting one of the new Takom FT-16 kits like seen here using a Tamiya donor kit for the drive.

Comment

• crazygary
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2012

Quite inspirational information here, gents!!
                  Just what I need!! Another arm of the r/c world to delve in to!! Hah!!

However, tanks have always fascinated me! I've always had a bit of a "soft spot" for the crews
                  that operated them. Stalwart bunch, just like the U-boat sailors of yesteryear! Bless them all
                  for their bravery!

Thank you Mcgowan1 and Hermill for your most appreciated input!!

May you" live to fight another day"!

crazygary

Comment

• herrmill
                    Commander
                    • Dec 2008

Ain't it cute!

eerste test run van een Takom Renault FT met elektronica en mechanica van een 1/35 Tamiya Battle System series tank.

And they're not just old history either.

In 2003 four World War One Era Renault FT-17 Light Tanks were dicovered in AfghanistanSources of Photo's - http://waziristanonafancy.blogspot.com/2013_09_01_...

Comment

• crazygary
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2012

Interesting piece of history, and the restorations look to have
                      been done pretty nicely!

Rather small tanks, judging by the man standing in front of one of them
                      on the flatbed trailer. One man? 2 man?

May have to delve into some information on these little guys!!

Thank you for posting the video links!!

crazygary

Comment

• crazygary
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2012

A quick bit of research on the little F17 shows it to be the great-granddad
                        of tanks!! Pretty impressive engineering, to say the least!

Am amazed at how universally accepted they were by so many nations. And, they were still
                        in use in the early stages of WW2. Jolly good show! USA had quite a few of them, also.

This is a piece of history that I would definitely be interested in modeling!!

Todays foray in to battle history has sparked something here!!! Thank you, I think?? Hah!!

I've seen kits for the F17 out there! Hmmm!! Here we go........!!!!

crazygary

Comment

• Albion
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by crazygary
                          A quick bit of research on the little F17 shows it to be the great-granddad
                          of tanks!! Pretty impressive engineering, to say the least!

Am amazed at how universally accepted they were by so many nations. And, they were still
                          in use in the early stages of WW2. Jolly good show! USA had quite a few of them, also.

This is a piece of history that I would definitely be interested in modeling!!

Todays foray in to battle history has sparked something here!!! Thank you, I think?? Hah!!

I've seen kits for the F17 out there! Hmmm!! Here we go........!!!!

crazygary
                          Great great grandad http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...of_World_War_I
                          Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• herrmill
                            Commander
                            • Dec 2008

Gary, I've got a lot of reference material on the FT-17 since I was planning to develop a limited run kit of the subject & a several other of the same era including great great grandad before Takom announced its planned release. I'm still thinking of getting one of these kits to convert so if you want to compare notes, drop me an email.

Takom recently released another WWI tank but in 1:35 scale but are interested in doing another early tank in the same scale as the FT-17 if the sales are there. And with the coming WWI centennial, I am sure Armortek will follow their MkV release with a 1:6 scale FT-17 - it would make the perfect collectors model for those who can afford their excellent all metal kits.

I've been following the recent Polish restoration via the Polish War Museum's Facebook page. Lots of great photos posted.

Here's the display tank that was restored for the Patton Museum.

Another good resource for surviving tanks.

As am sure you're already aware, this young US Army calvary officer made good use of them during WWI.

Click image for larger version

Name:	George_S._Patton_-_France_-_1918.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	90228

Comment

• crazygary
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2012

The more one digs into the history of something specific, the more amazed you become.
                              Had I not "stumbled" upon you "tankies", I would never have known about such engineering
                              marvels from that day and age!! Great information to be exposed to.

Thanks very much, Albion!!

Comment

• crazygary
                                Captain
                                • Sep 2012

Great information, Hermill! Thank you much!

Are you still considering that limited run kit?? If so, please keep me in mind.

Also, an excellent photo of old "Blood-and-Guts"!! My Dad served under him in WWII!
                                Dad was with the Army Corps of Engineers. They built the bridges during the day, and
                                "you-know-who" destroyed them at night!! Job security????

Thanks again, Hermill!!

Have a good day!

gary

Comment

Working...