X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • modelnut
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jun 2011

U-boat flood and drain holes

I have seen patterns of flood and drain holes online for the Revell 72nd scale Gato model. But I haven't found much on the 72 scale u-boats, the VIIc and Atlantic version. (There are some vents molded onto the kit hulls but they don't seem numerous enough or big enough to do the job quickly. I could be wrong.) With the IX coming out soon I know many people will either build it straight, super-detailed or RC. Either way, to build the boat accurate we need flood and drain hole patterns.

Are they out there? Or have I been looking in the wrong places?

- Leelan
  • modelnut
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jun 2011

Click image for larger version

Name:	1467452_604509936264047_1708163525_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	84528

Name:	1479161_604509876264053_1154402195_n.jpg
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	84529

OK. These are molded details on the Revell 72 scale kit. I've circled the flood holes (I think.) Is that correct?

What do you RC drivers do? Do you open up the molded fake vents?

- Leelan

Comment

• modelnut
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jun 2011

Ignore this thread as you have already. It was a dumb question. Everything is on the Revell VIIc model. It was the Gato that had nothing.

- Leelan

Comment

• Von Hilde
        Rear Admiral
        • Oct 2011

the limber hole arrangement was prity much unique to each individual boat. Check out Dougie Martindale's book on The type VII free flood patern report. 30 pages on just the type VII. There are free download PDF files for the type VII that show the various hole combinations for particular boats and there are sevreal different brass PE sets for all the flood patterns. The hull and the various balast tank doors and plates as well as the hole patterns on the bow and around the torpedo tube doors, hatches and gun parts. There also are different patterns for the fleet boats limbers, that I have run across with photos and text in a PDF file, altho I cant remember exactly where I found them. It may have been from AMP . The brass photo etched plates are easy to install and they are accurate. Cutting and drilling the plastic is teadious, and easy to mess up one, after you spent a week opening them up with a dremmel or a xacto blade. The only thing about the brass pe kits is, there pricy and a lot of different ones to choose from. You could have just as much $ in brass PE stuff to cover the cost of 2 or 3 model kits. Modelbrass is one company, AMP, and Griffon have brass sets for 1/72 type VII as well. Iff you use a complete brass or wood deck you really dont have to open all the molded plastic flood holes along the sides as the deck is all completly open to let out any trapped air when diving.
        Last edited by Von Hilde; 11-20-2013, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• reddevil
          Commander
          • Jun 2009

I opened all the holes in my VII C, except those under the saddle tanks and the lowermost ones near the keel. And I didn't do it because have no elements to install instead. have no info about, but all the pe pieces I've seen doesn't incluide pieces for those particular openings.
          Hope this helps.

Comment

• Von Hilde
            Rear Admiral
            • Oct 2011

Name:	RevellPE.jpg
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	84556Click image for larger version

Name:	wempe7232.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	84557I think the hull and balast tank hatches and vents are in the Edward PE #5308 kit White Ensign models has several PE sets for the revell boats as well, altho I dont know what the kit numbers are. Opening the balast tanks on the model wont effect the performance of the operation since the balast isnt realy a seprate tank. the Modelbrass deck kit on the right has the limber holes around the prop shaft, in the lower right corner. The two large ones on the lower right are the plates aft of the bow planes. White ensign PE left has all the proper authentic flood holes for the type VII with the tube doors and door plates with the correct placement and holes. There are extra templates included for the large hull openings, and replacement plates for the sides below the tower, as well as a few other do dads like jumper wire insulators and deck cleets ect.
            Last edited by Von Hilde; 11-21-2013, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• modelnut
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Jun 2011

Thanks, guys!

I have been to the AMPS site many times. I had forgotten that they have downloadable templates for the limber holes and links for the PE sets. I was thinking about the new XI coming out from Revell and remembering the lack of any detail on the underside of Revell's Gato. And I was starting to fade towards unconsciousness when I originally posted my thread. I didn't remember that the VIIc had its flood and drain holes as molded in detail.

I have quite a fleet in 72nd scale waiting in their boxes. I had hoped to take many of them RC. But I don't make enough money to spare for something like that. I may be able to take one kit RC but it won't be soon. If and when I can afford to go whole-hog RC I should be able to afford more model kits. So I am starting to build my fleet static. AQll I need to do is get my daughter to move out so I can have a place to display them.

Here is a chart of what I will have when they are built.

Name:	1450328_605248266190214_1124116561_n.jpg
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	84558

- Leelan

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

What site did you get the limber hole pattern from?
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Oct 2011

google Dougie Martindale, free flood pattern Type VII u boat. or I believe its [amp rokket.biz/docs/vent patterns 031208 pdf] If your real serious about detailing u boats you may want to check out the entire PDF for [The wolf pac a collection of modeling articles] Dougie's book is included in this file as well. There are many more details covered, such as colors, cammo, railings and equipment placement, tower mods, differances in construction of the various shipyards, and a wealth of other info for model builders.
                  Last edited by Von Hilde; 11-22-2013, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Oct 2011

Nice collectiom Leelan

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Thank you Von Hilde! I was mixing up AMPs site with AMS site. Great source of information.
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Comment

• modelnut
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Von Hilde
                              Nice collectiom Leelan
                              Thank you!

I have all of them except for the IXc which should be coming out soon. I just hope I live long enough to build them all.

- Leelan

Comment

Working...