Would anyone want a British K Class submarine hull in 1/72?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • herrmill
    replied
    Originally posted by Kazzer
    That's pretty neat David, but what springs to mind is that guy who couldn't speel wurth a dangnabit down in Florida (not you Bob Martin!) (he! he!). I can't remember his name.

    He was into pneumatics and hydraulics in a big way and I would have thought those funnels worthy of hydraulic control???? But what do I know?
    Sounds like you are referring to your old buddy Aquadeep. Haven't seen him in a while on RCU so I guess the mods finally had enough & banned him.

    Leave a comment:


  • Scott T
    replied
    Here are some ideas for hydraulic actuation. They are sold at
    hobby lobby for about $20.00 so use the 40% off coupon.
    Make sure you have the correct change for the troll bridge.:wink:

    Scott T
    Click image for larger version

Name:	196691_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	83374Click image for larger version

Name:	158014.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	83373

    Leave a comment:


  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by weissman
    i hereby award john the 2013 troll award for his really mean denigration of the k boats. :)
    john, you can collect your award from under the nearest bridge!
    (smile)
    food fight!!!!!......

    Leave a comment:


  • Weissman
    replied
    I hereby award John the 2013 TROLL AWARD for his really mean denigration of the K Boats. :)
    John, you can collect your award from under the nearest bridge!
    (smile)

    Leave a comment:


  • Slats
    replied
    The majority of us are just so glad its a submarine, when its dived we won't have too look at the poor dear and this sick feeling will stop :wink:

    Leave a comment:


  • Kazzer
    replied
    That's pretty neat David, but what springs to mind is that guy who couldn't speel wurth a dangnabit down in Florida (not you Bob Martin!) (he! he!). I can't remember his name.

    He was into pneumatics and hydraulics in a big way and I would have thought those funnels worthy of hydraulic control???? But what do I know?

    Leave a comment:


  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    No problem with the funnels -- one simple jacking nuts-rod linear actuator and you close the openings after folding the funnels into the superstructure.

    Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFnQTaMc0Fc

    But, get a 'simple' r/c submarine working first -- only then jump into the deep end with a practical K-class boat! Crawl, walk, run, sprint. That's how you approach this game, pal.

    M

    Leave a comment:


  • herrmill
    replied
    Funny but I picked up my daughter's Skittles container this morning & immediately thought it would make the perfect funnel for that sub. Am sure you'll find plenty of talented folks here who can help make that folding funnel become reality. Who knows, maybe even Mike can convince David to do a fitting kit for that hull. :wink:

    Leave a comment:


  • Weissman
    replied
    G'day Hermill
    many thanks, that is a great film clip, not I don't need to try and edit that youngster's awful 9-minute waffle. I especially love the funnel-folding bit. I will have to see if anyone on this site can tell me how I can duplicate that; I suspect it will be along the lines of how diving planes are made to retract, but I just cannot visualise how to do it.
    BTW, that clip on steam-powered planes was good, I'd never heard of that.
    Mind you, I only recently read that Henry Ford developed a METAL-CLAD airship which actually flew. I'd not have believed it possible, but it did!
    cheers
    Kim
    Last edited by Weissman; 09-23-2013, 01:54 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • herrmill
    replied
    Undoubtedly from here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkWEcPof3wo

    And while your at it, here's a video of the first & only steam-powered airplane: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw6NFmcnW-8

    Leave a comment:


  • Weissman
    replied
    Originally posted by Kazzer
    A neat explanation of the K Class

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXCGvQgyAf8
    I checked out this "9 minute history" and it ought to be approached with caution. The kid has a lot of his basic "facts" wrong and has filled out the movies with clips of non-K Boat material - I even saw some WW2 shots of Type VII's in there - as if we would not notice.
    I'd like to know where he got the sequences on the folding funnels, though.

    Leave a comment:


  • herrmill
    replied
    Mike, I just wanted to see if I could catch you napping.

    Again, I think its any subject with plenty of character puts it in my interest category. Can you imagine many rivets would be on the beast?

    Leave a comment:


  • Slats
    replied
    Originally posted by Weissman
    Hi Kazzer,
    it's Kim again. I am studiously ignoring all those poor people who don't appreciate the beauty of a K Boat. They ought to be pitied, really - getting excited about waterpipes with a vertical fin on them. Discerning folk like you and I can appreciate the much more interesting stuff like U Boats with big "winter gardens", the British X1, the M1, Surcouf, all those subs with lots of interesting detail. Those other "modern" things, well! All you need to finish them is a dremmel with a sanding drum and a spray pack of black touch-up paint.

    Anyway, enough of lesser boats. Your new K Boat, is that GRP or vac form plastic? What needs to be done to get it ready for actually building a submarine? BTW, I am in no way wanting to rush you - I am happy to wait, I still have my battlecruiser to build so am unlikely to be looking at a K Boat until next year. But, I WILL want one for sure! You can contact me direct if you wish, at < kimthecdman@icloud.com >
    cheers
    Kim in Australia
    Good on you Kim....

    Boys with all our descriptions flying around... its dawned on me what we have in a K class submarine. Its not so much that it's been hit by the ugly stick, rather the K class is THE ugly stick.

    J

    Leave a comment:


  • Kazzer
    replied
    Originally posted by Weissman
    Hi Kazzer,
    it's Kim again. I am studiously ignoring all those poor people who don't appreciate the beauty of a K Boat. They ought to be pitied, really - getting excited about waterpipes with a vertical fin on them.
    Kim in Australia

    My sentiments exactly. Apart from HWSNBN's Skipjack which sails like a dream, I agree with you on the painted sewer pipes notion on all those newer boats. Lets have guns, turrets and strange protrusions on a vessel, that no one knows their purpose.

    The K will probably be vacu formed, so will not have all the detail of a GRP hull, unless I make a reverse mold and add the scribing to it. Something I'm no expert on. We'll see.

    Leave a comment:


  • Weissman
    replied
    Hi Kazzer,
    it's Kim again. I am studiously ignoring all those poor people who don't appreciate the beauty of a K Boat. They ought to be pitied, really - getting excited about waterpipes with a vertical fin on them. Discerning folk like you and I can appreciate the much more interesting stuff like U Boats with big "winter gardens", the British X1, the M1, Surcouf, all those subs with lots of interesting detail. Those other "modern" things, well! All you need to finish them is a dremmel with a sanding drum and a spray pack of black touch-up paint.

    Anyway, enough of lesser boats. Your new K Boat, is that GRP or vac form plastic? What needs to be done to get it ready for actually building a submarine? BTW, I am in no way wanting to rush you - I am happy to wait, I still have my battlecruiser to build so am unlikely to be looking at a K Boat until next year. But, I WILL want one for sure! You can contact me direct if you wish, at < kimthecdman@icloud.com >
    cheers
    Kim in Australia

    Leave a comment:

Working...