• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george
    Captain
    • Dec 2010

How To Advice

Hello Again

I`ve been asking alot here. I hope no one is bothered by that.

I have some appendages that have NO control brass shafts in them, they were cast solid. How do I drill them out for a control rod WITHOUT having a drill press?

Any suggestions with picture help would be appreciated.

Thanks

George
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by george
    Hello Again

I`ve been asking alot here. I hope no one is bothered by that.

I have some appendages that have NO control brass shafts in them, they were cast solid. How do I drill them out for a control rod WITHOUT having a drill press?

Any suggestions with picture help would be appreciated.

Thanks

George

Not at all. So far reasonable and good questions. When you become a pain-in-the-ass, I'll be the first to let you know.

Mark on the outside of the resin piece a line running the span of the control surface from where the operating shaft projects out the parts root, to the outboard tip of the piece. Skew the line so that it is parallel with the opposing control surface operating shaft bore (external line at this point). Then, with a hand-drill, carefully drill out an undersized hole in each control surface and insert a tight fitting wire and check for skew or unwanted drift. Go to the next larger bit and correct any errors. Continue on till you bore out a hole that makes a good interference fit with the operating shaft.

Done. Sing my praises. Send money.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...