Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

We have a few 'switcheroo' standards on our job. Much of the older legacy equipment is in imperial measurement, the later kit is metric. The brand new stuff they are plugging in mean I will now have to cart around an oscilloscope, and hand held computer, because we need them for diagnostics, as the signalling systems are now comms and computer based rather than electro mechanical. Brave new world.

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

We have a Forklift(Kalmar) that uses four(4) computers. They all have to be in sinc to allow the machine to move. One computer is for the Transmission. I ask you. What kind of an IDIOT would strap not one but FOUR computers on to a vibrating, hot,shaking , bouncing(rough terrain)piece of heavy equipment and expect that its going to work??? Uh...DUH!!!
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Why do we need a computer to control the Allison transmission? Its not like it has a thousand functions or something. Next thing ya know theyll say that we need a computer to control the windshield wipers. I mean , do they have stock in Gateway or IBM and they have all these computers taking up space on a shelf somewhere and they are desperate to find somewhere to put them??
        I think that all these guys get all these student loans to go to college with to learn how to be STUPID!!!Very Angry
        Last edited by greenman407; 09-07-2013, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

There's a fairly long computer chain in these systems too, although a lot of redundancy is factored in, so should one computer start to throw a fit, another can step into its place.

Worth bearing in mind that even in out little model submarines, we tend to have half a dozen computers in the form of micro controllers all doing their thing- one in each servo (unless they're very old analogue models), one in the receiver (again unless it's pretty old) one in a leveller, one in an ESC, and another in the TX. They all work fairly reliably don't they? Infact so reliably it's inevitably a discrete that takes out something else e.g. a transistor or capacitor.

The main problem with these modern systems is when they go down, they tend to go down very hard e.g. when you get a control system failure you tend to lose half or the whole railway, with the older system, you would reduce your service, but you could still keep the wheels turning.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Good point. However, on this particular Beast its all or nothing. All the computers must work together or the Transmission wont engage and the brakes stay locked. Each computer is about $3500 and requires programing on site using proprietary software and Hardware. There is only one vendor in Tampa that is an authorized service center and their booked for a week at a time. I dont know Andy how it is in the UK but over here I have yet to see a computer tell on itself as being faulty. The codes that they send to troubleshoot with are usually vague and send you on a wild goose chase. Ive never seen a code for a bad computer.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Remember when we ruled the technology? Now, we are enslaved by it. The Caves beckon!

All power to the Hypno-Toad!

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

I cant tell you how many times I have called a vendor for a part and their reply is: "Im sorry, our computers are down, when they come back up we can then tell you how much they are and if we even have one. Call back later.
                When I was a kid, I remember being in the USave supermarket when a storm hit and the power went out. If that happened today they would be crippled. Back then the "Bag Boys" went over to the cash register and inserted a crank handle into the side of the machine. The girl would hit the price buttons, the boy would turn the crank, wallah, next item.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

We are one significant EMP event away from savagery. Man made or natural, cause matters little in the end.

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Just build a faraday cage around your electronics. Then, when all others are living in caves, we can run our subs at the lake and be part of the circus.
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...