• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Albacore plastic hull kit assembly advice

Just got today the plastic hull only kit turned up from Mikes Sub Works

Looks like the natural Z cut spot in the bow is where the lower spanned bulkhead runs across the hull but this looks like a significant demarcation line that doesn't seem to be noticeable on David's top notched boat. I was wondering if that "Gold Standard" version you built David used a different Z cut location or if you proceeded with a z cut further up the lower hull half? If not how did you fill it?

Mark "Greenman" please jump in here too.

Also the little manual that comes with the hull kit mentions CA glue, but was wondering if a welded plastic glue is better?

The manual comes with the hull kit doesn't really indicate where the WTC foundations go, Mark / David - can you flick me the measurements where you placed these in the lower hull

Thanks.

J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

All photos of my ALBACORE assembly -- and I've assembled about three of these things from the vacuformed kit -- are in slide format and have not been scanned. Almost all of the 'beauty' shots Skip has used to sell his kit employed models assembled, detailed, painted, and weathered by me.

As to the 'soft' edges between hull halves: The significant radius at the radial and longitudinal edges of the hull pieces -- an unavoidable artifact of vacuforming over patterns, not into proper female molds -- have to be filled with an automotive two-part filler, and filed and block sanded to a sharp edge.

Care is taken to prepare the plastic by sanding it with #100 grit sandpaper to produce the tooth and oil-free surface that will promote adhesion of the filler to the polystyrene plastic of the hull. After the filler is shaped, it is coated with thin formula CA that saturates the porous material, works into it, effecting a tight bond between filler and plastic. A final surface sanding with #400 sandpaper over the filled areas readies the surface for primer.

Place the Sub-driver in there so it's motor output is in alignment with the boats center-line, and the center of the ballast tank even with the half-way point along the length of the hull.

Make the sail removable -- two 6-32 screws will do it.

Fun boat to drive!

M
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 07-01-2013, 07:33 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot!
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

I wonder if this is the same Albacore that I bought about 6 years ago or a remake? Ill get a couple of measurements up here in a little while.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Taking a few measurements, my hull, minus the props, is exactly 39 3/4" Long. I experimented and found that for this setup, I located the center of the ballast tank at 23&1/2" measured from the prop end of the hull, without the prop. My Subdriver is the old, venerable D&E 3"WTC dual motor drive. It measures, endcap to endcap 17". The center of the ballast tank is 8&1/2" measured from and including the front endcap. Its also located 8&5/8" from and including the motor endcap. The Ballast tank volume measured from center of Oring to center of Oring is 4&5/8".

Comment

• Aug 2008

This is the ballast tank mock-up for the 'new' 3" SAS type SD being finalized -- should have it in the catalog by this time tomorrow.

It's designed specifically for the 1/60 ALBACORE (all Phase conversions), but will find utility in many of the post-war 1/96 and 1/72 submarine kits. A two-motor version will also be available soon.

Note that the mock-up contains the non-stock emergency back-up gas ballast sub-system. The SAS safety float-valve, its plumbing, and emergency gas back-up components make for a very 'busy' looking ballast tank. But, that's life in the Big City.

I worked with John Slater on the size, position, and integration of the components making up this new Sub-driver -- his decades of 'user' experience and good engineering sense (it was his idea to increase the diameter of the conduit tube to provide room for more wiring between forward and after dry spaces, for example) have been of great service during this endeavor. My thanks to him, and you other Bums, who have contributed to the knowledge base around these parts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5821.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	81968Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5823.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	81969Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5826.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	81970Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5835.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	81971Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5817.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	81972Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5843.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	81973Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5842.jpg
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	81974

David
          Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 07-01-2013, 12:47 PM.
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Nice work David. Another work of art!
            T
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

So Dave, when I order my subdriver for the Skipjack and request the gas backup, will it come installed or do I have to retro-fit?

Comment

• Aug 2008

You have to retro-fit it ... who the hell do you people think you are, anyway!>??????

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Well I just thought that you would want the Job done right, therefore you would want to do it yourself instead of letting me muck it up. After all, your gonna want an after-action report...............arnt you?

Comment

• Slats
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    All photos of my ALBACORE assembly -- and I've assembled about three of these things from the vacuformed kit -- are in slide format and have not been scanned.
                    M
                    Scan them please and present them here, along with that review article that you wrote on its assembly that I can no longer find on the net.

Almost all of the 'beauty' shots Skip has used to sell his kit employed models assembled, detailed, painted, and weathered by me.M
                    Folks here's the money shot - in my view one of the best looking RC subs ever assembled

Care is taken to prepare the plastic by sanding it with #100 grit sandpaper to produce the tooth and oil-free surface that will promote adhesion of the filler to the polystyrene plastic of the hull. After the filler is shaped, it is coated with thin formula CA that saturates the porous material, works into it, effecting a tight bond between filler and plastic. A final surface sanding with #400 sandpaper over the filled areas readies the surface for primer.
                    M
                    Excellent - just learnt something.
                    I've always thought automotive fillers were incompatible with ABS / polystyrene plastics - they don't tend to adhere well.
                    The CA coating that saturates the porous filler is the missing link.

Place the Sub-driver in there so it's motor output is in alignment with the boats center-line, and the center of the ballast tank even with the half-way point along the length of the hull.

Make the sail removable -- two 6-32 screws will do it.

Fun boat to drive!

M
                    Thanks for the heads up on the COG location David.
                    John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                      Nice work David. Another work of art!
                      T
                      Well said Tom, - but its a work of craft.

best

John
                      John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Aug 2008

You have to retro-fit it ... who the hell do you people think you are, anyway!>??????

M
                        Stock standard P'sITA
                        John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                          Taking a few measurements, my hull, minus the props, is exactly 39 3/4" Long. I experimented and found that for this setup, I located the center of the ballast tank at 23&1/2" measured from the prop end of the hull, without the prop. My Subdriver is the old, venerable D&E 3"WTC dual motor drive. It measures, endcap to endcap 17". The center of the ballast tank is 8&1/2" measured from and including the front endcap. Its also located 8&5/8" from and including the motor endcap. The Ballast tank volume measured from center of Oring to center of Oring is 4&5/8".
                          Thanks Mark.

Cheers

J
                          John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• alad61
                            Commander
                            • Jan 2012

John I have been using turbo bog rather than auto bog for a fair while now on my styrene kits with very good results. When its dry it takes to blade fillers, the tamiya putty and all manor of primers. As for the ca trick David suggested that to me on my sheerline akula and I can't sing enough about it's value.
                            Last edited by alad61; 07-01-2013, 10:24 PM. Reason: smart phone typing sucks!!
                            Cheers,
                            Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                            But to dream is a reality

Comment

• Slats
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by alad61
                              John I have been using turbo bog rather than auto bog for a fair while now on my styrene kits with very good results. When its dry it takes to blade fillers, the tamiya putty and all manor of primers. As for the ca trick David suggested that to me on my sheerline akula and I can't sing enough about it's value.
                              Excellent advice Alec
                              I take it this is the one you use - from Bunnings? :-

Thanks

John
                              Last edited by Slats; 07-02-2013, 12:45 AM. Reason: Product question
                              John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

Working...