X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • junglelord
    Banned
    • Jan 2009

Handling Characteristics of Various Subs

I was interested in the various design characteristics of the different subs that are available for RC.

Since I am interested in the Seaview, I thought I would submit what I have researched about this particular sub to start this thread.

I thought I would start with work from Mr Merriman on the Seaview.

Design Flaws and Characteristics

Wedge shape bow and manta fins creates a downward pitch when submerged. This downward thrust can be countered with internal fixed vanes in the nicelles and also functional bow planes.

This peculiar architecture of the Seaview also creates something else.

A large Bow-wake = lots of drag
    (Largest ever seen by Mr Merriman)

Certainly my own little piggyback PL Seaview on a Walmart USS Dallas showed a huge difference in bow-wake

Surface turning radius is average for the Seaview. But submerged it has some design flaws. Yaw stability increased by cadillac fins which makes submerged turns large. However, high speed underwater turns have a roll issue called "snap-roll".

Fast underwater turns have snap-roll due to the cadillac fins which is countered by the manta fins and according to Mr Merriman the sub would actually be non-functional without the manta fins.

the manta-fins produce a counter torque (outboard rolling moment, counter of the vehicles turn) that works to negate the de-stabilizing inboard torque produced by the SEAVIEW's sail and 'V' shaped 'Cadillac' fins at the stern. The manta-fins contribute to the dynamic roll stability of the SEAVIEW in a tight turn. As the submarines angle of attack about the yaw (turning) axis increases, and starts to 'skid' into a turn, a situation occurs at the manta-fin tips (those tips well below the vehicles longitudinal center of rotation) where the inboard manta-fin tip begins to generate an upward moment (force) and the outboard manta-fin tip produces a downward moment. These two forces induce a torsional moment that works to right the boat in the turn; the manta-fins improve the boats roll stability dynamically in a turn.

The significant maneuverability problems with this boat occur as a consequence of a turn while submerged. Sea-trails taught me to 'ease' the SEAVIEW into high speed submerged turns. To put the rudder hard over while running at any significant speed rolls the boat into an uncontrollable dive to the bottom. (American LOS ANGELES class attack submarines have the same problem). Other than that, and the SEAVIEW's woefully poor backing down ability, it handles pretty much like any other r/c submarine.

The only vice I can lay at the feet (fins) of the manta-fins is that they work to de-stabilize the boat in the pitch plane and contribute a great deal of flow and wave-making drag. The fix was to install permanent vanes within each propulsion nozzle, their job to direct the exhausted water upward, countering the pitching moment at the bow. In water tests verified that the fixed vanes countered the bow induced pitching problem throughout the SEAVIEW's speed regime, net angle change as a consequence of submerged speed was zero. Mission accomplished!

But, keep in mind that the two pitching forces (shape of the hull forward, the fixed vanes in the nozzles aft) are directed down; the net force on the vehicle is a downward one. However, this downward force acting on the submerged submarine is of low magnitude and is easily countered by operating the boat at a slight up-angle or simply by cranking in a bit of 'rise' on the sailplanes.

After installation of the fixed vanes in the nozzles depth control of the SEAVIEW became no more difficult than driving a 'traditional' type r/c submarine.

The SEAVIEW, as an r/c submarine, can be made to be dynamically stable in pitch and yaw as it travels submerged - without need of non-scale 'stabilizing' fins or control surfaces.
    Last edited by junglelord; 02-04-2009, 11:17 AM.
  • junglelord
    Banned
    • Jan 2009

Some nice practical information on the dynamics of modern submarines and how that relates to the Seaview in particular.
    Nearly all modern American combat attack submarines employ a set of downward canted (anhedral) stabilizers at the stern (situated between the horizontal surfaces and lower rudder). Their primary function is to serve as foundations from which either evasion devices or towed cables are launched or streamed clear of the propeller/pump-jet disc. The secondary purpose of the stern mounted anhedral stabilizers is to generate a torsional force (created as the boat's angle of attack about the yaw axis increases) to counter the boats tendency to roll inboard in a turn. On a 'real' submarine this unwanted inboard rolling moment originates solely with the sail and a big reason that today's submarine sail structures are kept as short and low of area as possible. Sail structures are either well faired in to the hull (as practiced by the Russian 'Ruben' design bureau) or are so shaped as to limit the structures ability to produce lateral 'lift' at a high yaw angle of attack (American LOS ANGELELS class).

With the SEAVIEW we are cursed with three surfaces that produce a unified torsional moment in a turn: the large sail and two upward angled fins as the stern.

The rolling, and reduced turn rate experienced by the SEAVIEW underwater was observed and noted. Like any other type submarine I drive, I first work out the maximum underwater speed I can attain and still maintain depth control once the rudder is put hard over. Same test and observations as I work the horizontal control surfaced to maintain or change depth. The objective during these sea-trial activities is to determine the submarines 'performance envelop'. I determine the edges of that envelop and try not to exceed them during normal vehicle operation. Sea-trials are more than working out the mechanical bugs and trimming the boat, it is also that initial period of operation where you, the Driver, learn what you can and cannot do with the vehicle above and below the surface.

Comment

• junglelord
      Banned
      • Jan 2009

My own first sub is my Robbe SeaWolf which will only have her madien voyage this summer.
      Its weight is only five pounds, It must have only been four pounds on the first test.
      This was just perfect and straight as an arrow.
      Its time to paint. its going Gold...like my 24" SeaView
      :D

She has front operating dive planes but that modification may have been unnecessary as I have learned for this particular model.

With the Robbe SeaWolf the stern planes are even more sensitive then most subs since the control surfaces are behind the prop. Most modern nuke subs of course have the planes ahead of the prop.

Comment

• junglelord
        Banned
        • Jan 2009

Here is video of the Robbe SeaWolf with its 600 motor, its quite fast.

I got three of these walmart subs for $25 each. They work really well.
        More Action from the Yellow Submarine.This time with a bit of diving

Comment

• junglelord
          Banned
          • Jan 2009

The most manuverable submarine that I have seen is the Skipjack by Merriman and Caswell.

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

In part 9 of David Merriman's 1/144 Seawolf cabal reports http://vabiz.com/d&e/CABAL/RC'ing%20...e%20Part-9.htm
            he mentions building a tow-tank hydrodynamic vehicle for Caltech. I hope he can share with us some info on how he made it and how it works, unless of course it's classified and they made him sign something. Would be nice to have one of these and test various sub models and see how they handle.
            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
              In part 9 of David Merriman's 1/144 Seawolf cabal reports http://vabiz.com/d&e/CABAL/RC'ing%20...e%20Part-9.htm
              he mentions building a tow-tank hydrodynamic vehicle for Caltech. I hope he can share with us some info on how he made it and how it works, unless of course it's classified and they made him sign something. Would be nice to have one of these and test various sub models and see how they handle.
              It was a specialized tow-tank test vehicle designed to explore the performacne of a radical type propulsor designed by a Graduate student at the School of Engineering. The rest is proprietary information held by the MIT customer. Sorry.

David,
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Without going to the customers specific project can you share info about the test rig?
                Last edited by redboat219; 02-06-2009, 01:47 AM.

Comment

• junglelord
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2009

The new Seaview is quite impressive beside the SeaWolf. I like it, it has a Big Head...LOL, yeah its a wedge.

But its quite neat to have another sub of comparable size to compare.
                  The recent viewing of a Rick Teskey sub and others like the Seawolf, show a huge difference in bow shock wave.

I always wondered as a little boy (born in 62) why they did not make a full size Seaview. I can understand as an adult why they did not, but I still would like to make a RC 17 foot just for fun...LOL. I think I shall settle for a Debor if I can ever afford it.

The SeaView is a thing of beauty, and functional....after Mr Merriman makes corrections.
                  I'll drink to THAT!

Comment

• junglelord
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Merriman
                    The claim, even suggestion, that X-tail boats are more dynamically stable than cruciform configured boats is total bull-****. Not in my experience. X-tailed submarines -- because of the accumulated force of all four, not just two, control surfaces working a specific axis -- are, if anything, more difficult to keep in a straight line than submarines with cruciform configured appendages.

It takes a very skilled Driver to operate a submerged model submarine without the aid of an artificial stabilizing device working the stern planes. I've driven both types; with, and without an APC in the stern plane loop. An X-tail boat is very maneuverable -- it is also very 'touchy'.
                    I would like to transfer this information to my other thread on various designs and submarine performance.

Nice set of pictures of various designs.

I think the Seaview would be the odd man out being a science fiction design with only half a X tail design due to the Cadillac fins, the Manta fins pushing down and that wedge head, certainly like no Military design. Of course having a RC Seaview has been a childhood dream of mine. 30 years in the making. I cannot wait to fullfill that dream. I remember wondering as a boy, that they should make a full scale Seaview. I figured it must be the best design...being young and all, impressionable as a boy in the late 60's, that this wonderful design must be the killer sub design of all designs. Of course that is not true at all and in fact the head makes it an ineffecent design, with such a huge bow wake and the cadillac fins are not good for fast turns. Oh well some dreams are just fancyfull ideas of a young boy carried over into adult hood. Enter Dave Merriman and the Seaview that handels extremely well. Large turning radius, but seems to take a straight line without nose diving. Nothing like the Skipjack model, which could run circles around the Seaview....

That is an interesting point of observation about the need for a ADF . I have not taken my Robbe SeaWolf V2 out yet. Its Maiden voyage will be this spring. I will have an ADF by then and I can put it in either the SeaView or the SeaWolf.
                    Last edited by junglelord; 02-19-2009, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• junglelord
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2009

I am eager to see how the two subs compare when this summer arrives.

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Seaquest DSV

Wonder how an RC Seaquest DSV would handle without any stern planes and that squid-like shape?

Comment

Working...