X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Playing with making a case for my 808 camera

I purchased a 808 #16 camera and wanted to create a waterproof case to make some of those really cool underwater videos.
    Hopefully there will be grace on my efforts as I am not as skilled as most of you.

So, I received some polycarbonate sheets from Tom Spettle when I bought my lathe.

I traced the camera on a thick piece and using a band saw cut it out. Tried to use a coping/jewelers saw, but this stuff is tough and I would be retired by the time I sawed out the hole. Once it was cut out with the band saw, I used a grinding stone on my Foredom to smooth out and make adjustments to the fit.
    The camera is slightly thicker than the piece so I dished out the base a little so the camera sits lower. Glued the base to the middle section.
    Made a lid with four screws. There is a 5th hole, but the 4th hole is where the drill bit broke. There is a stabbing motion that I found works and if you stop like I did, by accident, on my fourth hole the thermoplastic will hold your drill bit. If I was smart (which sense the bit is broken, clearly I am not), I could have added heat to the drill shaft and it would have pulled out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	808_16_01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	102489Click image for larger version

Name:	808_16_02.jpg
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	102490

Name:	808_16_03.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	102491Click image for larger version

Name:	808_16_04.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	102492
    Used some marine silicon and coated the surface of the main body and put a layer of petroleum jelly on the lid, closed it up and let it cure.
    Once it was time to separate the lid, the center of the silicon was still not cured and pulled out. I went ahead and tested to see if it was watertight and it was "mostly" water tight. Just several drops worth of water.
    As an experiment, I put RTV on the lid (after cleaning off the original layer of jelly) and put a coat of petroleum jelly on the original layer of silicon, closed it up. It is drying right now, so tomorrow we will see. Looking at the 4th picture you can see light areas where the original silicon mates up pretty good, but you can also see the center area of other points that needed filling.
    As it was sitting there I thought about the sequence of turning on the camera, then taking the time to screw it all together and reversing that at the end of the mission. That is a lot of wasted camera time. So I added a couple of David's seals to use to push the camera buttons on and off.
    This may not be the best move, at this moment because I have added other sources of trouble without resolving the first leak, but I did want to get this finished, we will see how smart it was.

Name:	808_16_05.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	102493Click image for larger version

Name:	808_16_06.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	102494

Name:	808_16_07.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	102495Click image for larger version

Name:	808_16_08.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	102496

I plan on adding hooks on the sides to hold the rubber bands. If this works, I would like to add a mounting point underneath that could be moved by a servo. My thinking is I can pan right or left remotely.

So, IF this gasket cough up does not work (bets anyone) any suggestion? (other than get another hobby)
    Those that use the box for your WTC, what do you use for a gasket material?
    Last edited by trout; 05-25-2013, 06:50 PM.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • Scott T
    Commander
    • May 2009

What if you put saran/plastic kitchen wrap around the lid put the silicone on the edge and
    clamp the lid on. Not sure if the wrap will release from the silicone though. One of those
    ideas....

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Scott T
      What if you put saran/plastic kitchen wrap around the lid put the silicone on the edge and
      clamp the lid on. Not sure if the wrap will release from the silicone though. One of those
      ideas....
      Thanks Scott! I did try that, but I got wrinkles on the saran wrap and afraid it would transfer to leaks.....then opted to do with out.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Best and most reliable type of gasket is o-ring cord. You can use that on this type of enclosure.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Subculture, Thank you for that info. With o-ring cord, would I have to build a channel for it to fit in? This is new to me, so please forgive the simpleton question.

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

yes, but the 'channel' only has to have one side if that makes sense, and the depth of that channel should be about 10-15% less than the thickness of the o-ring cord you are using. It's important to make sure the surfaces are true and flat with o-ring cord. Any fixing bolts and screws can go on the outside of the cord, so then you don't need to seal them too.

Comment

• Buellman1
              Lieutenant
              • Mar 2013

Another possibility is using temporary window caulk. It's sold in a roll for a few bucks. Looks like soft clay. Pretty sticky, shapable and reusable. I've used it to seal the top on my Graupner Shark and it held the top on and sealed with no fasteners.

Comment

• Scott T
                Commander
                • May 2009

Thanks Scott! I did try that, but I got wrinkles on the saran wrap
                There you go you have to know your limits. Get the wife or kid to put the wrap on
                for you.:wink:

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

There you go you have to know your limits. Get the wife or kid to put the wrap on

LOL! Scott to the rescue.

Skip Asay taught us this trick when the earth was still bubbling lava:

Onto the flange face of one half of the item apply a coat of Vaseline. Onto the other half, lightly abrade its surface to remove oil/grease/dirt/DNA, lightly abrade with #400 sandpaper, then lay down a bead of RTV adhesive-gasket maker (that bead inboard of any fastener). Lightly press the two halves together till you see the 'dark' imprint of the sealing RTV when looking down and through the Vaseline covered half. Do not clamp or apply any pressure. Leave to cure overnight. When you come back to it the next morning pull the two halve apart. To one half you have a tightly adhered gasket with a very smooth seating surface atop the RTV bead. The perfect gasket.

As Andy suggested: put the screw fasteners to the outside of the seal and you're good to go.

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

"A mans got to know his limitations" Harry Callahan

Thank you all for the great suggestions.
                    O.K. RTV is dry and the seal is GOOD. Tested it in the tub for an hour or more. Not a drop. Tried it several more times and it works! Next post.....on a sub!
                    Last edited by trout; 05-27-2013, 01:44 AM.

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Here is the video:

I am pleased for the most part. When I went deep (and lost radio signal) the case gathered a drop of water and the video got a little foggy. So, I might redo the gasket, or come up with a version 2 with a o-ring seal.
                      Last edited by trout; 05-28-2013, 03:46 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                        • Aug 2008

Well done! Did you take the sail off when you mounted the 808?

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Thank you, David. I just put it in front of the deck gun with a couple of rubber bands.

Comment

Working...