X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Pickling white metal with vinegar

I need to pickle the white metal prop of my Trumpeter Kilo but I have no access to Ferric chloride. I know the recommended alternative is to use boiled white vinegar.
    My query is, how long are you suppose to leave it in there? Any risk of if I leave it overnight
    the vinegar would dissolve the prop?

BTW, I've already superglued the prop and dunce cap to the 1/16" stainless steel prop shaft. Do I still need to take it off prior to pickling or can I leave it as is?

I remember coming across a post, not sure if it was David's* that recommend applying heat from a candle or lighter to the shaft to debond the prop from the shaft. Is this safe to do with the Kilo's small prop?**
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
    I need to pickle the white metal prop of my Trumpeter Kilo but I have no access to Ferric chloride. I know the recommended alternative is to use boiled white vinegar.
    My query is, how long are you suppose to leave it in there? Any risk of if I leave it overnight
    the vinegar would dissolve the prop?

BTW, I've already superglued the prop and dunce cap to the 1/16" stainless steel prop shaft. Do I still need to take it off prior to pickling or can I leave it as is?

I remember coming across a post, not sure if it was David's* that recommend applying heat from a candle or lighter to the shaft to debond the prop from the shaft. Is this safe to do with the Kilo's small prop?**
    CA readily fails with heat, so that's a good means to break that type bond between metal parts. Apply the heat way up on the propeller shaft so the heat conducts aft into the hub of the low-melt white metal propeller. The glue (hopefully) will fail before the propeller melts. Pickle till the metal darkens, rinse, dry and prim. I have spoken!
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...