Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

A CA Warning

I have a fish tank with tropical salt water fish and coral, and occasionally I need to call in my local Aquarium expert to check things out. Today, we were discussing gluing coral onto rocks with CA and he told me he had been gluing reef rocks together to make scenic displays using CA and epoxy.
    I was a little perplexed as to why he used both products, so he explained that he mixed the epoxy together, then added CA which set it up quickly and made it rock hard.

One time, he made a huge rock 'diorama' thingie for a large tank, and two days later he was in the hospital ER with severe respiratory problems. To cut a long story short, it was determined that there were some weird smells and fumes coming off this mix.

Moral of the story. If you don't understand the chemistry, follow the product instructions and NEVER mix stuff together.

My aquarium expert nearly died from this.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Wow Mike.
    A good warning indeed
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Cyanide gas?
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Albion
        Captain
        • Dec 2008

That's what i'm thinking too.

On the scalextric race cars which i used when i was a kid , i would often try and repair parts by using a soldering iron to weld the plastic back together. That gave off a terrible smell which used to make me feel quite nauseous. I found out that is Cyanide!
        Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Polyurethanes release Hydrogen Cyanide. it used to be used a lot for soft furnishings, but they found in time a lot of people were poisoned extremely quickly in house fires where these furnishings were present, so it's use has been banned here.

PVC can release chlorine gas if burnt.

Comment

Working...