X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Revell Type IX in 1/72

I saw this posted on SC. http://www.plastik-modellbau.org/wp-...t-Typ-IX-C.jpg
    Be still my beating heart.....modeled after the U505
    Oh if Revell would do the same for the Balao!
    Looks like 2013 is going to be a great year Type XXI 1/35 and now Type IX 1/72!
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • herrmill
    Commander
    • Dec 2008

That will be a must have purchase. David, better get to work!

I see its already available for pre-order in the UK but they appear to be a bit optimistic when it comes to availability dates.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Pretty much the same arrangement as their Type-7. Can't wait to work up a fittings kit and SD for this ocean-going beast. Good going Revell of Germany!
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Warpatroller
        Lieutenant
        • Dec 2012

I've got their VIIC kit, this would make a great mate for it.. I remember a lot of guys saying Revell would probably never make a kit of this boat, and to not keep your hopes up for one to appear.
        "Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Another one to add to my "wish I had it" list.
          1. Revell Type VIIC/41
          2. Revell Gato
          3. Moebius Skipjack
          4. Special Navy Type II
          5. Bronco Type XXIII

Got to finish my "you know what" before "you know who" comes over and kicks me in gluteus maximus.
          Still got a 1/144 Seawolf and 1/72 Type VIIC in the closet.
          Last edited by redboat219; 01-02-2013, 01:57 PM.
          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Just got Revell's newsletter

Here is what it says about the kit:

German Submarine Type IX C
            Along with the "Type VII" the "Type IX " submarines were amongst the most numerous and successful submarines of the German Navy during World War II. They were fully ocean going and could therefore operate directly adjacent to the U.S. Atlantic Coastline and intercept Allied resupply convoys. A total of 243 "U-Boats" were built, of which alone 141 were type "IX C".
            The "Type IX C" submarine appears in the version "U 505" with the "Type III" Conning Tower. This U-Boat was the only German U-boat during World War II that was forced to surface and captured by American ships. After painstaking restoration, it now resides in a museum in Chicago.
            Item no. 05114
            Scale 1/72
            Release Date: 11/2013
            So, Nov. 2013. Just in time for Christmas. Must finish what I have before looking at this. I gotta say, this is really exciting to see quality kits coming out. Revell has done a great job on their Gato and Type VII, so I have little doubt that this one will be as good or better (especially since it is focused on one sub).
            Last edited by trout; 01-03-2013, 02:18 PM.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Trout, notice the picture up above that Warpatroller posted. It has that funny sonar dome. Cool!
              IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Yes that is cool.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by trout; 01-03-2013, 04:07 PM. Reason: more research needed

Comment

• MFR1964
                  Detail Nut of the First Order
                  • Sep 2010

Tom,

That funny dome is called, Gruppen Horch Gerat, or Balcony gerat, giving the boat a much better way to listen around at a much bigger angle compared to the devices placed near the forward divingplanes.
                  Revell did a nice job, a nice addition to the type VII, if they decide to make one at 1/35 i'm in.

Manfred.
                  I went underground

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Manfred, Thank you for that info. I was trying to remember when I was in Chicago (before the U-505 was moved indoors) if the U-505 had the Gruppen Horch Gerat. The pictures I am finding show something, but looks further back on the keel, as if it is the keel proper.

Comment

• goshawk823
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by trout
                      Just got Revell's newsletter

Here is what it says about the kit:

German Submarine Type IX C
                      Along with the "Type VII" the "Type IX " submarines were amongst the most numerous and successful submarines of the German Navy during World War II. They were fully ocean going and could therefore operate directly adjacent to the U.S. Atlantic Coastline and intercept Allied resupply convoys. A total of 243 "U-Boats" were built, of which alone 141 were type "IX C".
                      The "Type IX C" submarine appears in the version "U 505" with the "Type III" Conning Tower. This U-Boat was the only German U-boat during World War II that was forced to surface and captured by American ships. After painstaking restoration, it now resides in a museum in Chicago.
                      Item no. 05114
                      Scale 1/72
                      Release Date: 11/2013
                      So, Nov. 2013. Just in time for Christmas. Must finish what I have before looking at this. I gotta say, this is really exciting to see quality kits coming out. Revell has done a great job on their Gato and Type VII, so I have little doubt that this one will be as good or better (especially since it is focused on one sub).
                      if they are saying November, my bet is we won't see it til sometime in 2014. crap. that's a long wait either way.

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Somebody's already taking preorders. http://www.boystownmilitaryminiature...0_7537019.aspx

Got to start saving up for it.

Comment

• herrmill
                          Commander
                          • Dec 2008

As mentioned earlier in post #2, they are somewhat optimistic when it comes to availability dates. :wink:

Comment

• redboat219
                            Admiral
                            • Dec 2008

David,

Would the Type VII Fittings Kit fit in the Type IX ( the underdeck supports obvious won't ) and would the standard 2 inch Type VII SD be able to support the IX's hull to the correct waterline?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
                              David,

Would the Type VII Fittings Kit fit in the Type IX ( the underdeck supports obvious won't ) and would the standard 2 inch Type VII SD be able to support the IX's hull to the correct waterline?

The fittings kit would be similar, but there is no interchangeability between the two sets of fittings, Romel. The design and function of the two different fittings kits will be much alike, but not interchangeable.

I'll use pretty much the same bulkheads and motors for the Type-9 SD, but it will have a much longer ballast tank -- size to be determined once I get a test-shot in hand.

Finish your damned KILO!... dont' make me and Ellie come over there!

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...