Better Packaging for Transporting Submarines.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Better Packaging for Transporting Submarines.

After my fiasco with UPS and my X Craft, I've come to the conclusion that many of us, (myself included) pay little enough attention to packaging our models to move them around.

My main concern is the movement of the model within the box, and especially the tail end, which, as we all know, is the delicate part.

I thought about cutting foam to fit around the bow and stern, but is all seemed a PAI, and then I came up with this idea. I always prefer molding something, rather than machining etc. It seems to be so much easier.

I took a plastic shoping bag and filled it with Great Stuff Foam. I simply squirted it into the bag and filled the bag with enough foam to fill the end of my box. Then I pushed bags into each end of the box, and pressed the model down into the foam, making sure the ends of the bag were folded over so no foam could get on the model.

Click image for larger version

Name:	foam.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	101666This sort of foam is cured by the moisture in the air, so it can take a day or so for it to set up.

Name:	IMG_0726.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	101667

Once it's set up, pull the model out, take the plastic bag off, and then trim up the foam. You could do a second bag on the top of the model to completely encapsulate the ends. I made a saddle out of pink foam, just to prevent me pressing down the model too far.

Alternatively, you could use Alumilite two part foam, which will set up within an hour. We carry this product in stock.

Name:	610foam16oz-lg.jpg
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	101668

I'm going to do all my models like this. Anyone else game?
    Last edited by Kazzer; 03-05-2012, 05:28 PM.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Isn't there a commercial packaging material like this available out on the market today? I was watching an episode on modern packaging on Modern Marvels on the History Channel. They showed a bag that contained expanding foam and an activating solution contained in a small inner bag. You squeeze the inner bag to pop the activator and shake the bag to mix the 2 together. You then place the item you're shipping inside a box and surround them with several activated bags which conform to the shape of the item ( and inside of the box) protecting it.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Here you go; http://www.lpsind.com/InstapakCushion.htm

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Mike,
        I think you are having foam flashbacks from when I sent you the Darnell. That is how I packed it - using the expanding foam and shopping bags. I may have gone a bit crazy, but it did make it there in one piece.
        Peace,
        Tom
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
          Yes, I've seen stuff come in to our warehouse packaged like this, and that's probably where I got the idea. The problem with LPS Industries bags are as follows.

1. At least $5 for each bag.
          2. Minimum size 8"x8"x8" and you can't split the pack.
          3. Minimum order case lot of 26 = $154

Pondering the concept a little more, I think I can develop a process here to reduce the amount of expensive resin.

Cut a base block from any foam that fits the bottom of the box and place it inside the plastic bag. Either mix up the Araldite foam and pour it on top of the block, or squirt Great Stuff foam on top of the block.
          Immediately place the bag and center the block into the bottom of the box. Set the model into the foam, making sure you don't get any foam on it. It might be wise to wrap the boat in Gladwrap to ensure it is kept safe.

I'll give this a shot tomorrow.

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
            Mike,
            I think you are having foam flashbacks from when I sent you the Darnell. That is how I packed it - using the expanding foam and shopping bags. I may have gone a bit crazy, but it did make it there in one piece.
            Peace,
            Tom

I think you are right! :-)

Comment

• Reckless
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Jan 2012

definately good info... I've been trying to decide how I want to make the travel boxes for my sub(and later subs) ... and my not so touch feely boats.

Comment

• Tom Spettel
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Dec 2009

Name:	Photo513.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	66709The foam is a good idea but i would still use 3/4" plywood for the box.
                because of this^ and it is typical.
                Last edited by Tom Spettel; 03-06-2012, 04:29 AM.

Comment

• Kazzer
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Tom Spettel
                  The foam is a good idea but i would still use 3/4" plywood for the box.
                  I'm using triple board cardboard. When it's finished, I soak the entire box in thinned epoxy. It becomes extremely strong, but I'm not suggesting shipping that alone via UPS. You need another box around this.

The major advantage of these cardboard boxes is that they are very light, and my foam idea is simply to stop them slopping around when taking the boat to the pond.

Comment

• Tom Spettel
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Dec 2009

Wow thats a cool idea!! show us some pics of how its done. what do you thin the epoxy with acetone?

Comment

• Kazzer
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Tom Spettel
                      Wow thats a cool idea!! show us some pics of how its done. what do you thin the epoxy with acetone?
                      Lacquer thinner - not acetone.

Do it 50/50%

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Why not make the transport box out of Coroplast. No need to waterproof it with epoxy.

Aren't you due for an election soon. Bet you could get some coroplast political signs for free then.

Comment

• Kazzer
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
                          Why not make the transport box out of Coroplast. No need to waterproof it with epoxy.
                          But how to glue the sheets together, that is the problem?

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

How about Sikaflex or equivalent mastic based glue?

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Interlocking tabs, pop rivets, small nuts and bolts, zip ties, take your pick.

Comment

Working...