Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Eurgle Electronic Balancing System

I read somewhere that some folks were contemplating using this device as a pitch controller. At About $15 it seemed like a plan for a utility operation, so I bought one, just to try it.

Doesn't work worth a darn folks.I plugged it into a Sombra Labs SL8 mounted in one of my Sub-drivers, and added a servo. Nothing but a load of chatter.
    Attached Files
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Is it really meant for subs?

A while back I had the idea of using one of those gun leveling system you put on 1/16 RC tanks so that their guns would behave like real gyrostabilized guns. http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53762

Way too expensive than any submarine leveller out in market and no guarantee that it'll work on a sub.
    Last edited by redboat219; 02-24-2012, 05:02 AM.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Did a Google search and found this; http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddet...od=rcps2812001

It's designed for drifting not pitch control.
      Last edited by redboat219; 02-24-2012, 04:57 AM.
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

That must work like a heli gyro, referencing to the last commanded position. You could try fitting it to the rudder on a sub, if you have one that is a bit skittish, might be interesting to see how that works, but for it to work as a leveller it will need some tinkering.

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
          Is it really meant for subs?
          No it wasn't. Something about cars if I recall, but someone had suggested it might work.

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Mike,
            I think that was on the AMS site and I recall that it worked after a gentleman there replaced a chip. The initial use of this is for drift cars.
            Peace,
            Tom
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Replacing surface mount component is not for the feint hearted, plus you'll need to know what chip to get, pay for it etc. and you can kiss any sort of warranty goodbye.

Time you've done all that, you may save yourself a fiver, and it still won't be as good as a dedicated leveller which usually include extra features this widget doesn't.

For instance on my latest leveller I can set servo speed, sensitivity, throw and inhibit the controller when going reverse so the sub doesn't kick-up the stern. It weighs just a couple of grams and is about the size of a servo plug!

When I first got into subs, I couldn't get a leveller for love or money. Now there are about a dozen models to chose from, and we're spoilt for choice.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Check me on this, Andy.

Yeah, the things a damper, not a position sensing and holding device.

Old-world equivalent would be a rate-gyro; an electronic shock-absorber, if you will. It can not sense the gravity line, so it can not steer you perpendicular to it. Angle-keeper, it ain't. Not good for stern planes, not good for ship type stabilizers, not good for stabilized gun barrels on the move.

This gadget senses changes in direction and velocity about one or more axis and produces a damping signal to the servo to steer the vehicle in or out of the direction you wish to damp. For a car this thing will mix the sensed lateral drift (skid) with the steering (yaw) servo to avoid or lessen the skid.

It's a rate gyro. Useless to us.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                  • Aug 2008

Before I throw mine away, I'm going to wait to see what transpires here.

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Best of luck- soldering a lot of these SMD components without the right kit is like trying to knit fog.

SMD stuff is smashing- unitl it goes wrong. Through hole componentry means bigger boards, but it's one heck of a lot easier to repair or modify.

Comment

Working...