X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Finding pictures on the internet

Ive been asked numerous times where I get all my pictures from. In a nutshell, from all over. It takes a lot of time and effort to search and store and sort all these pictures. To get started use "Google". Go to image search and type in submarine pictures or British subs or spanish subs or whatever. We want large pictures so at least click on medium on the left hand side column. When the page comes up click on a picture that you like and save it. Its helpful to type in a name or ID for it if one is not included. Then go to the website that the picture came from. Go through all the pictures that they offer. Then sometimes they have links to other sites. You can check them out as well. It takes time but if you want pictures, they are out there. More on this later.:wink: A recent change to this is that Google.........once again...........has changed their layout. After you select images and you have a page full of them, then under "search tools" above the pictures, you then select your size. Your options will then appear on the left side. On Older pictures, if you select "large" then since there probably wernt any large pictures taken in WW2 then you limit yourself but there might be a few.
    Last edited by greenman407; 01-29-2014, 12:08 PM.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

After you go thru all the medium pictures then change your preference to large. You want a picture that is at least 500 x 500. 800 x 800 is perfect. When you find a site that has a lot of pictures, save it in your favorites or put an Icon on your desk top so that you can go back there. Members of these sites return and post more pictures later. Keep in mind that Caswells site does not like "Bitmap" pictures. If you go to save a picture look in the dialog box after you Right click and save. Itll give you the name of the picture. Heres your chance to change the name or number if you want to, to help you ID it later. Under that is a box that tells you what type of picture it is. JPG, JPEG, Bitmap, or whatever. In the drop down sometimes you can change it to JPEG. If not look under "all programs" in your computer and see if you can find the program called "Paint". Go into that and click on Edit. Then click on paste. You should be able to see a portion of your picture pop up in the paint screen. Go to "File" and click on "Save as". Then in the dialog box you can select what type of picture that you want to change it to. JPEG seems to work best. Then save it to your folder. Ive created files for each major type of individual submarine like Oscar or Los Angelos. Also countrys like Russia or France. That way you can go straight to the proper file when you save it or put everything in a file called sort and you can look at them and move them around later.
    Last edited by greenman407; 12-15-2011, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Here is one site that has Millions of pictures. Thatll keep you busy for a couple of years.http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/index.php On the forum go down and click on "Strictly pictures and Video". Its all military. Go down thru the whole list and two sections will be of great interest. One is "World Wide Navys" Its mostly ships but there are some submarines in there. There is another thread called "Beautiful submarines" Check em out.

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Then there is "75 Search engines" Which you can choose to search Bing, Flickr, Google, Office clip art, webshots and yahoo thru the use of their drop down box selector. Try it.http://www.75searchengines.com/texis/open/images

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Try this one.
          A submarine is a watercraft capable of independent operation below the surface of the water. It differs from a submersible, which has only l...

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Heres a couple more.

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

More and More I am finding websites that display pictures for display only. They dont want you to save them. So, since they have displayed them you are legally intitled to them. So, what I have to do in some circumstances is do a "print Screen" save. Then Go into "Paint" and save and convert it from a "Bitmap" image to a JPEG. Then , because its a "Print Screen" its going to have a border around the picture which also reduces it in size. So then I put it through Picasa 3. There I crop it and lighten and sharpen it and Picasa blows it up a little bit. Then you add it to your collection. It is somewhat time consuming because you have to do this to each picture intern. Then you name it and file it appropriately. Mean people.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

This is a very, very useful thing you have been doing for us all, Mark. I greatly appreciate the time, effort, and skill you've put into this. You are a researchers god-send!

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Thanks, and the good thing is , is that I enjoy it. Its like looking for buried treasure that someone has hidden.

Comment

• Kazzer
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                    More and More I am finding websites that display pictures for display only. They dont want you to save them. So, since they have displayed them you are legally intitled to them. So, what I have to do in some circumstances is do a "print Screen" save. Then Go into "Paint" and save and convert it from a "Bitmap" image to a JPEG. Then , because its a "Print Screen" its going to have a border around the picture which also reduces it in size. So then I put it through Picasa 3. There I crop it and lighten and sharpen it and Picasa blows it up a little bit. Then you add it to your collection. It is somewhat time consuming because you have to do this to each picture intern. Then you name it and file it appropriately. Mean people.
                    Yuk!

All I do is expand the web page with the photo to make it as big as I need it, then hit 'control' & '4' at the same time, then I can drag a box around the picture, taking exactly what I want! Life is good on a Mac!:biggrin:
                    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Wow, that would be nice. Ive tried various programs to enlarge pictures but havent been able to make it work. Using IBM compatible, Microsoft based programs that is.

Comment

• KevinMc
                        Commander
                        • Feb 2009

The other way I've approached this problem is to find the local copy of the picture file in the browser's cache directory. This can be tough if you haven't cleared it out first, but it saves md from the lost resolution of a screen capture and having to go to the trouble of naming the file... YMMV
                        Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
                        KMc Designs

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Thanks Kevin but your way over my head with that one.

Comment

• Kazzer
                            • Aug 2008

Don't you have a key that captures the screen? I'm sure that I remember one on a PC!

Get a Mac!
                            Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• KevinMc
                              Commander
                              • Feb 2009

There is, but you take a hit in resolution when you do that. That's why I prefer the "save cached photos" route.
                              Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
                              KMc Designs

Comment

Working...