• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george
    Captain
    • Dec 2010

Advice needed Pleaser 1/72 Revell Type VII & IX Wooden Deck Fitting

Hello

I recently found in my PILE of stuff, two Wooden Deck kits, one for a 1/72 Revell Type VII and another for the Type IX.

My question is If they get sealed with water proof stain, can they be applied to the model they were for and used in a R.C Submarine? Has anyone dune that? What if any issues can there be? I heard that the holes/slots in the wooden deck were too small to let air out when diving, is that true? Can that be fixed without distorting the look of the wooden deck?

Hope someone can answer, Thanks for your time.

George
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by george
    Hello

I recently found in my PILE of stuff, two Wooden Deck kits, one for a 1/72 Revell Type VII and another for the Type IX.

My question is If they get sealed with water proof stain, can they be applied to the model they were for and used in a R.C Submarine? Has anyone dune that? What if any issues can there be? I heard that the holes/slots in the wooden deck were too small to let air out when diving, is that true? Can that be fixed without distorting the look of the wooden deck?

Hope someone can answer, Thanks for your time.

George
    If the deck is dry, the smallest hole/slot/perforation will permit venting of the hull. However, once wet, those opening get closed with water (surface tension is the mechanism holding water in those opening) and the hull/deck will not vent air. Rule of thumb is any opening at least .0125" wide/diameter will vent regardless of its being dry or wet. Anything smaller it won't vent. You can cheat by coating the inboard side of the openings with a water repellant like Scotch-Guard, Pam, heavy oil, grease, or wax -- such material weakens surface tension between water and the models surfaces letting you get away with smaller opening.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
      Captain
      • Dec 2010

Thank you for the info.

Comment

Working...