X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Caswells mini digital underwater camera

I just ordered one of Caswells Mini Underwater Cameras. My hope is to be able to use it on my next trip to Blue Springs in two weeks. Question: After you upload the video to your computer then how do you take out the pieces of video that you want so that you are not trying to upload and force everyone to watch a long..........boring hour long video. You want to be able to edit it and extract the most useable portions. Im sure that there is a video editing program out there that wont cost an arm and a leg and that is user friendly. Can anyone make some suggestions. Thanks in advance.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!
  • oztruck
    Commander
    • May 2010

I use "Ulead Video Studio". It works for me.

Comment

• Albion
      Captain
      • Dec 2008

I have found pinacle studio to be very easy to pick up and user friendly and gives pretty good results, not sure what it costs over there.

But im now on the dark side, bought a MAC! after the initial shock of no left right clicking, and the fact everything was new, im now getting the hang of iMovie, which is really nice.
      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Thanks guys! I usually start out cheap(looking for free download) then move on to purchasing the software.

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Lots of free video editors out there.

Windows movie maker for windows OS, and Windows movie maker live.

imovie for mac users. Openshot is recommended for Linux users.

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion

But im now on the dark side, bought a MAC! .
            Welcome! Enlightened one!
            Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Just recieved it yesterday. It doesnt come with a video card. Walmart has them starting at $6.00 and up for more capacity. Be careful with this thing as its only rated for depths of 3 meters(less than 10'). It has two tiny orings under the cover. Im going to put some silicone grease on them. Exploring down to the bottom(30') of Blue Spring is probably not a good idea.

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

One Red flag. The manufacturer of this thing is doing the same thing that other manufacturers are doing. They are totally vague with there instructions. There is too much stuff that you as a consumer have to figure out by yourself thru trial and error. There is no website or customer service phone number listed. No manufacturer address or name. Tells of a warranty but gives no details as to how long or what it covers. Im seeing more and more of this. So what they are telling you is that if you have any trouble, they dont want to hear about it.

Comment

• Kazzer
                  • Aug 2008

Instructions are here :biggrin:

One point. Even our local camera company has gone broke, namely Kodak. If I could actually buy an American made camera, I would. Kodak's employee parking lot is empty with 3' tall weeds in it.

:pop China's policy is that all product is a one-way street. There is no comeback on the supplier, and getting replacements can be tough for some. (Not me). The retailer usually swallows the cost of the odd defect, it not being worth the trouble to get it swapped out.

And our land fills are clogged with **** from China, especially after Christmas. Even my cat's litter trays are made in China. Can you believe there is no one in this country that can make a disposable cat litter tray? Good grief! Are we all insane?He's on his favorite

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

How things change. During WW2 and after America was the best and most quantitive producer of raw materials and finished product in the world. I think that the "Marshal Plan" backfired.

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Went last night to Target and picked up a 8GB micro SD card and installed it. When installing it the contacts of the SD card go toward the charging plug. It is plugged into the computer and charging.

Comment

• Albion
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                        How things change. During WW2 and after America was the best and most quantitive producer of raw materials and finished product in the world. I think that the "Marshal Plan" backfired.
                        The world keeps revolving, re invent and get on with it.

In the 19th century Britain produced everything, and if we didnt have it, we invaded a country that did, simples. But that went after WW2, the dark satanic mills are no more, ship building (effectively) no more, everything we were good at has gone. Evolve and move on. If you want to be paid peanuts to produce litter trays go ahead, but someone in china will then be paid half a peanut, and still be happy (for now). as Hermill has shown, China is evolving too. That Peanut might be ok this week, but costs are rising, and they see their neighbour with a new flatscreen, and now they want the whole bag of nuts.
                        Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Unfortunately the first camera I recieved didnt work. When you plug the camera into the supplied cord and then into the USB port, its not recognized by the computer. When you install the driver CD-Rom and go through the usual steps using install wizard it says its installed completely but when you try to use it it says driver not installed. So after trying it on two different computers I called customer service at Caswells. Johnny on the spot said he would send me out another one, no problem and a return address label for the defective one. At least with Caswell you have a no nonsence approach to customer care. Ill let you know how the next one does. Guess I wont be taking it to Blue Springs.

Comment

• Kazzer
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                            Unfortunately the first camera I recieved didnt work. When you plug the camera into the supplied cord and then into the USB port, its not recognized by the computer. When you install the driver CD-Rom and go through the usual steps using install wizard it says its installed completely but when you try to use it it says driver not installed. So after trying it on two different computers I called customer service at Caswells. Johnny on the spot said he would send me out another one, no problem and a return address label for the defective one. At least with Caswell you have a no nonsence approach to customer care. Ill let you know how the next one does. Guess I wont be taking it to Blue Springs.
                            Have you tried simply plugging it into your computer and opening your favorite video editing program? I don't thing the CD is worth bothering with.

That should recognise the camera as long as you have it switched on. Works on a Mac. but PC's I'm not sure about.

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Well, first of all I dont have a video editing program. My intent was to take a short test video and upload it to the computer and then on to Vimeo. If all worked well then I would spring for a good editing program like Pinnacle. I had my companys IT guy look at it and he was the one that told me that the computer was not recognizing the camera as being present. Uploading the supplied Cd worked partially because it installed a player on to the computer which does work but the instalation process with the rest of it did not work on two different computers. It might be as simple as a bad USB cord that was supplied with the camera, I dont know.

Comment

Working...