Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
    Well, first of all I don't have a video editing program. My intent was to take a short test video and upload it to the computer and then on to Vimeo. If all worked well then I would spring for a good editing program like Pinnacle. I had my company's IT guy look at it and he was the one that told me that the computer was not recognizing the camera as being present. Uploading the supplied Cd worked partially because it installed a player on to the computer which does work but the installation process with the rest of it did not work on two different computers. It might be as simple as a bad USB cord that was supplied with the camera, I don't know.
    These cords are standard digital camera cords, so if you have a few lying around, try them. If not, let me know, I'll test one of mine and send it you.
    Try plugging it in, then switching it on, or switching it on, then plugging it in. It's pretty basic and should be easily recognisable. Iphoto is a wonderful thing!
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Mike, your people at Caswell have taken good care of me. I reported this problem to them late Friday afternoon. Monday afternoon I recieved a priority package from them, the replacement camera. I will use the supplied cord with the new one to test the old camera and determine what the problem is. If worse comes to worse I can take one or both cameras to a camera shop and let them try to take the video off. We will get it figured out.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
        Mike, your people at Caswell have taken good care of me. I reported this problem to them late Friday afternoon. Monday afternoon I recieved a priority package from them, the replacement camera. I will use the supplied cord with the new one to test the old camera and determine what the problem is. If worse comes to worse I can take one or both cameras to a camera shop and let them try to take the video off. We will get it figured out.
        Lance and his team over there at the warehouse take a lot of pride in getting things right for their customers -- as you know.

The best thing that ever happened to Ellie and Me with the business was joining the Caswell team. They know how to sell and take good care of their customers. I know how to make ****. Perfect!

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

I don't tend to use cameras as card readers, most computers have a card reader built in, so I remove the card from the camera and plug it into that.

Not sure what format the Caswell camera uses, but I'll wager it's mpjeg codec.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Ok , finally got around to playing with this thing again. New camera, new cord, same thing. The computer doesnt see the camera. So, the next thing will be to call Target and see if they have a card reader that can read a micro SD card. That means that if that works every time I take videos I have to go somewhere and let them read it and put it on a CD for me. That wont be very good. I dont know if your video editing software will read off of a CD or DVD. Anyway I took some test video by turning it on and holding it up in the air and moving it around. Tomorrow we will see if we can get anything off of it.

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

I can't find any online instructions for that camera. However, from experience of playing about with other cameras similar to this, I can tell you that you usually have to press a button on the camera to enable the computer to see it as a 'virtual drive' in order to read the card.

Plug the camera into the computer, and press the buttons one at a time on the camera to see what happens, allow a couple of seconds between each button press. I think there are only three buttons on this camera, so it shouldn't be too arduous.

Usually the 'avi' movie files are buried a couple of folders deep on the card. What operating system are you running?

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Yes, thats correct. After plugging it in you press the on button and a red light lights up on top of the camera. At that point my computer gives me a chime and a small window pops up on the screen and says new hardware found but unlike uploading pictures from my digital camera the large window prompting you to and giving you a choice as to what do you want to do with it does not. So after waiting a long time you go into "my computer" and look at the hardware on the screen. The little camera does not show up for you to manually open up. So its like its only partially recognized. The instructions that come with the camera are very vague. It just tells you to upload pictures to your computer, it doesnt tell you how.
                Last edited by greenman407; 10-28-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Many of these cameras have a webcam mode, which won't necessarily work right unless you have the right driver. Perhaps it's defaulting to that, and to my mind, if the 'new hardware' window is coming up, it sounds like it to me.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

IT WORKS!!! Ok , heres what I did. I went out and bought a 8 GB micro SD card to fit it then I took some test video but couldnt get it out of the camera. So , I went back to Target and bought a Adaptor for the micro SD card so that I could plug it into the USB port. As soon as you plug it in the computer then pops up a small screen saying new hardware found. Click on that and then a larger screen pops up giving you all your choices. So I selected play and the video looks really good. So, the next step will be to purchase some editing software and to modify the base that comes with it to mount it on the Oscar. Stay tuned bubbleheads.
                    Last edited by greenman407; 10-28-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Try out some of the free trials on editors before splashing the cash, because editors are very much an acquired taste.

Windows Live movie maker is free, and excellent, but you will need Vista or Windows 7 to run it. It's basic, but works with most formats and is very intuitive.

Explore the versatility of Microsoft’s Windows 11 operating system. Find out how our latest Windows OS gives you more ways to work, play, and create.

I also like Cyberlink Powerdirector, which isn't free, but not too expensive, and this works really well with HD footage.

PCMag's #1 rated video editor. Easily create videos with studio-quality AI tools, templates, visual effects, and stock content. Download now for free!

Magix movie pro is well regarded, but I have not tried it out.

The best video editor for 2023. Try it for free now. Movie Studio means: beginner-friendly operation + diverse editing tools and creative content.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Here is the test video. Works well. Now, next weekend Ill have it mounted on my Oscar and well shoot some diving video. Oh, in case you are wondering this is inside my office at work which is my new workshop for my hobbies. You have to learn to adapt to new circumstances whether you like them or not.
                        Last edited by greenman407; 10-28-2011, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Thanks Subculture for the info. I think I will try the second link there as I am not using Vista. Back to the camera, I took the camera mount and kit bashed it. I then cut it apart and using only the upper part of it I cut grooves in it on the bottom to correspond to the safety rails on the front deck of the Oscar. Then I sawed grooves on top of the mount to index a pair of large dia. rubber bands. I'm now ready for next weekend!
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 360.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	64997The camera and lower mount before I cut it down. I have just barely engaged it here. It slides further to the right and snaps into position.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 361.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	64998Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 362.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	64999
                          Last edited by greenman407; 10-28-2011, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Are you running Win XP then? That has the older version of windows movie maker built in, and although rather different to windows live movie maker, it's still a very capable no-frills editor. In fact many people prefer it to the newer version.

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Yes, windows XP. Ill try that movie maker out. Thanks

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Subculture, it appears that windows movie maker only works with a CD. Is that true? I tried putting in a DVD as this computer is DVD ready and recordable. It didnt work.

Comment

Working...