X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Das Boot
    Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

Flying Sub Color

Looking for an orange tinge color school bus yellow. Found one overseas, but is it available in rattle can in the states? If not, what’s the airbrush mixture?
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Dude......

Matched to the the Moebius Instructions. Chrome Yellow

Duplicolor BFM0363 Perfect Match Automotive Paint, Ford Chrome Yellow, 8 Oz Aerosol Can

Tamiya Royal Blue X-3 for the Blue trim.

Tamiya Flat Aluminum XF-16 for the....Aluminum!​
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Das Boot
      Rear Admiral
      • Dec 2019

Thanks, DUDE, but the color has a flat orange tint, not pure yellow.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

Click image for larger version  Name:	Wrong.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.3 KB ID:	177099

Hey you asked, and I merely provided information from a definitive source. Chrome Yellow is not pure yellow. It's your boat so make it as "orangey" as you want.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FS1Color.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	177100

For the record, I have a very tough time with color management. I always go to a reference document if possible. After a couple of hours of careful cross referencing and choosing to go with anything BUT Testors (overpriced crap IMNSHO) when I first got the kit, I offered up what I had selected to you. Also, understand I'm never a purist when it comes to running models (so it's not that critical to me anyway) as they get their fair share of abuse (static I treat differently), but that's ME.

But AGAIN, I spent SOME time color matching (by paint number) what I got to what's IN the Moebius FS1 Instruction sheet which I can safely assume was selected by people a whole lot better than me at this sort of stuff. I always rely on reference material for stuff like this.

FWIW, There are a lot more people with better color matching ability that can speak out here. I'm calling out you Mr. David "They're Bow Planes you nub!" Merriman or Capt Martin to weigh in here.

I owe you smoke in September.

Last edited by QuarterMaster; 12-30-2023, 11:36 AM.
        v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
          Click image for larger version Name:	Wrong.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.3 KB ID:	177099

Hey you asked, and I merely provided information from a definitive source. Chrome Yellow is not pure yellow. It's your boat so make it as "orangey" as you want.

Click image for larger version Name:	FS1Color.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	177100

For the record, I have a very tough time with color management. I always go to a reference document if possible. After a couple of hours of careful cross referencing and choosing to go with anything BUT Testors (overpriced crap IMNSHO) when I first got the kit, I offered up what I had selected to you. Also, understand I'm never a purist when it comes to running models (so it's not that critical to me anyway) as they get their fair share of abuse (static I treat differently), but that's ME.

But AGAIN, I spent SOME time color matching (by paint number) what I got to what's IN the Moebius FS1 Instruction sheet which I can safely assume was selected by people a whole lot better than me at this sort of stuff. I always rely on reference material for stuff like this.

FWIW, There are a lot more people with better color matching ability that can speak out here. I'm calling out you Mr. David "They're Bow Planes you nub!" Merriman or Capt Martin to weigh in here.

I owe you smoke in September.
          Garry Kerr was lead-man on that kit (same guy who was lead on the SEAVIEW kits and many other Moebius products). He's as good as they come when it comes to research and use of source material. I trust his judgement.

Keep in mind the shows various FS-1 miniatures were built at different times and re-dressed between seasons. Seems that quality control -- when it comes to color and weathering continuity -- was a foreign concept to the miniature makers at Fox.

Here's my interpretations, just for ****s and grins. This thing was assembled from Rick Teskey's wonderfully big FS-1 kit.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
            Rear Admiral
            • Dec 2019

Perfect color. Who’s the nerd?
            Attached Files

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot
              Perfect color. Who’s the nerd?
              **** you!........
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Garry Kerr was lead-man on that kit (same guy who was lead on the SEAVIEW kits and many other Moebius products). He's as good as they come when it comes to research and use of source material. I trust his judgement.

Keep in mind the shows various FS-1 miniatures were built at different times and re-dressed between seasons. Seems that quality control -- when it comes to color and weathering continuity -- was a foreign concept to the miniature makers at Fox.

Here's my interpretations, just for ****s and grins. This thing was assembled from Rick Teskey's wonderfully big FS-1 kit.

David
                I yield to the Professional Craftsman.
                v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• Das Boot
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Dec 2019

Yeah, it’s a pain. Film deterioration, lighting, shadows, then repainted. I yield to the professionals here.

Comment

Working...