• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrSchmidt
    Captain
    • Apr 2014

U.S.S. Discovery XD-1 - not quite a sub but similar

Hi everyone,

I'd like to report about the build of a display model again, which is not a sub, but something somewhat similar, as it is a vessel that hosts a crew in very limited space for a very long time and that travels in an almost endless hostile environment. Only technology there to protect you from immediate and certain death, and if something goes wrong, there is nobody to help you but yourself and your crew mates. It's a spaceship, and I guess because of these similarities I've always been a fan of both: Submarines and spaceships.

So I'm going to report about the build of one of the most famous spaceships in Sci Fi history, the U.S.S. Discovery XD-1 known from the movies 2001 and 2010. It's a unique and very realistic design and there is an excellent 1:144 scale kit by Moebius Models (Proteus, Skipjack....). I got the kit from my loved ones Christmas two years ago together with the enhancement packages for the hangar bay, the EVA pods, the Cockpit and exterior details by Greenstrawberry. I'm going to build a display that will serve as an over 1 meter long book nook. I hope that'll work out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Discovery-001.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	170787

I kick off with the hangar bay. The Greenstrawberry kit contains excellently molded resin parts together with PE and decals. I started with the base plate on which I placed the support structures for the extractable pod platforms. The supports are then strengthened with Y-shaped folded PE parts and finally with 12 folded PE struts. Looks quite nice.

Name:	Discovery-002.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	170788

Name:	Discovery-003.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	170789

Name:	Discovery-004.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	170790

Name:	Discovery-005.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	170791

Name:	Discovery-006.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	170792

Finally I put the hangar floor on top of the assembly...a very well fitting resin part as well.

Name:	Discovery-007.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	170793
  • DrSchmidt
    Captain
    • Apr 2014

ON the port side of the hangar is a wall panel with the access to the air lock and a passage way to the upper decks. Latter is octagonal and made of three resin parts. As I want to illuminate the hangar, I have to think about positioning the LEDs. In the movie the passage way is lit by a series of wall panels. With the thick resin parts that's hardly feasible. So I decided to install a light source in the ceiling and therefore milled a rectangular slit in the respective resin part.

Name:	Discovery-008.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	170804

Name:	Discovery-009.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	170805

Name:	Discovery-010.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	170806

The wall panel with the air lock access is made of three well fitting resin parts. Just the seam on the front side has to be filled and then this will look quite nice.

Name:	Discovery-011.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	170807

Name:	Discovery-012.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	170808

Name:	Discovery-013.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	170809

Comment

• DrSchmidt
      Captain
      • Apr 2014

The starboard wall panel consist of a window and a door leading to the hangar control room. The control room is made of six well fitting resin parts and some PE conrol panels. Again the question of lighting the room and again I decided to put the light source into the ceilimng. Consequently I milled another rectangular slit into the ceiling:

Name:	Discovery-014.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	170812

Name:	Discovery-015.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	170813

Name:	Discovery-016.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	170814

Then I filled all the slits for ceiling illumination with a transparent casting resin that is used for sealing LEDs. Ideal for the task but takes 48 hours to cure....more when this is done.

Name:	Discovery-017.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	170815

Name:	Discovery-018.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	170816

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

This will be fun.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          Rear Admiral
          • Sep 2015

Looking forward to this as I have one myself slated for retirement. Big BIG fan.

I also have a very personal attachment 2001:ASO, slim as it might be.....(Note the post date)

That movie represented so many things during a significant period of our history.

Name:	First on Moon Club envelope.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	170867

Name:	First on Moon Club letter.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	170868

Name:	First on Moon Club obverse.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	170869

Name:	First on Moon Club reverse.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	170870

I like to think this was the future we had once promised ourselves, but unfortunately like anything else, we got in our own way.

Elon will change that.

Again, looking forward to the build.
          v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
          NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
          USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• DrSchmidt
            Captain
            • Apr 2014

That's a grate memory to have!! Love it.

I continued with the build of the hangar. There is a great youtube walk through the Discovery that makes aa perfect reference for the build.

Proyecto de realidad virtual de la nave Discovery (2001: una odisea espacial).

From this video I learned, that what I thought is a passage way is the the equipment storage. In the kit it's made of three resin parts that get clad with PE panels. I primed them with gray Tamiya primer (rattle can), air brushed it with Vallejo flat white, then gave it a gloss clear coat (for the decals) and then applied hints of gray line wash and the Decals. Again sealed under gloss coat the parts were glued together and attached to the port wall panel. Looks nice. The putty on the backside of the parts is to seal the seams to prevent possible light leaks.

Name:	Discovery-019.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	170880

Name:	Discovery-020.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	170881

Name:	Discovery-021.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	170882

Name:	Discovery-022.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	170883

Name:	Discovery-023.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	170884
            Attached Files

Comment

• DrSchmidt
              Captain
              • Apr 2014

Continued working on the hangar bay. Painted the starboard, back, and port wall panels and assembled the the hangar control room (forgot to take detail pictures). Then I glued a set of PE panels to the flor of the hangar and primed and painted this base plate. Then I started to assemble the full structure by fitting and gluing the port wall with control room into its position. Then followed the back wall. For the starboard wall I had to make some bigger adjustments, basically by removing about 0,5 mm of the starboard wall. Then it was fitting well, too, and I glued it into position as well. Starts to look like something.

Name:	Discovery-024.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	170902

Name:	Discovery-025.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	170903

Name:	Discovery-026.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	170904

Name:	Discovery-027.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	170905 ## Click image for larger version

Name:	Discovery-028.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	170906

Name:	Discovery-029.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	170907

Name:	Discovery-030.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	170908

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                Captain
                • Apr 2014

Today it's ben decals, allot of decals. If one can say anything negative about the Greenstrawberry hangar kit, it's about the decals. Thin, brittle and not the best print quality. But with a bit of patience and some black touch ups it looks decent. Sealed everything using satin varnish by Vallejo. Then the HAL 9000 console got its stickers, was put into place, and with a test fitting of the roof one can get an idea where this is going. Nice....

Name:	Discovery-031.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	170914

Name:	Discovery-032.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	170915

Name:	Discovery-033.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	170916

Name:	Discovery-034.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	170917

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2014

Behind the HAL9000 console are three poles that hot the three space suits of the command crew. Here I deviated form the kit and replaced the folded PE poles by 0,5 mm spring steel rods. Much more stable and better to handle. The space suits are tiny resin parts that I painted as good as I can. I'm actually happy with the result. Then they are put into place with the folded PE brackets from the kit. Worked better than expected. I decided to put two of the three suits on the rods.

Name:	Discovery-035.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	170941

Name:	Discovery-036.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	170942

Then I worked on the EVA pod platforms. Here I deviated from the kit again. The push rods that extract or pull in the platforms are made of flimsy resin. To brittle and soft for me. So I replaced the rods by 1 mm diameter brass tube that glides in 1,2 mm brass tubes. Some nice PE panels on the resin platform and we have some nice looking parts, In the hangar I also glued 1,2 mm brass tubes to slide in the platforms. The middle pod will be displayed extracted and lit, so I soldered two wires to the middle guide tubes. Worked well.

Name:	Discovery-037.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	170943

Name:	Discovery-038.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	170944

Name:	Discovery-039.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	170945

Name:	Discovery-040.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	170946

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2014

Well, I'm waiting for some parts and meanwhile I put together this little boat, a 1:350 scale HMS Conqueror by the Ukrainian Company Mikro Mir. Nice little kit, new tooling, not the quality level of big companies but if you know how to use files and putty, you easily get a very nice little boat. As I didn't want an all black sub, I decided to try Davids tooth paste weatheing on a small boat, Worked out quite nicely. Waiting for the wood for the base and then this will go into the display case.....

Name:	Conqueror-001.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	171008

Name:	Conqueror-002.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	171009

Name:	Conqueror-003.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	171010

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2014

Worked on the EVA pods. Again, Greenstrawberry has an excellent ad-on kit with three resin pods, PR arms and decals, that can easiyl be transferred into nicely looking EVA pods. I'll include two pods: One in the starbord hangar position and one illuminated on the extended middle platform. The port position will be left free to allow a good sight into the bay.

The starboard pod has ben glued into its final position in the hngar. Looks very good there.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	Discovery-042.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.2 KB ID:	171030

Click image for larger version  Name:	Discovery-043.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	171031

Click image for larger version  Name:	Discovery-044.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	171032
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by DrSchmidt; 05-13-2023, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                        Captain
                        • Apr 2014

Again a little bit of progress. Been waiting for LEDs.....

I installed the ceiling illumination. 20 mA white LEDs for each light and connected them in series. Groups of 3 LEDs are then connected a constant current source, respectively. The current sources will then be connected in parallel and fed with 24 V. Then I sealed the LEDs under clear resin. The ladder shaft to the control room got a little dome to seal it off. The hole in its ceiling will again be home for a LED.

Name:	Discovery-045.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	171067

Name:	Discovery-046.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	171068

Name:	Discovery-047.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	171069

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

I would break up things a bit. Reflectivity can be as varied as color. Flatten the suits (leave the lens gloss), and pod black 'exhaust shields', and all white structures varied from gloss to semi-gloss.

Examples:

Name:	PICT0038.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	171071Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0043.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	171072Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0044.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	171073Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0037.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	171074Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0052.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	171075
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                            Captain
                            • Apr 2014

Good point. That's a technique that I employ too, but not that extensively on the Discovery yet, But e.g. on the XXIII build I played allot with gloss level to emphasize texture or to simulate dirt. Also on my Molch build, I made the regions, on which someone would walk, much more matt with a sponge tapping technique. Same color, different appearance.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2014

Got the wiring of the LEDs for the hangar deck done.....lights on:

Comment

Working...