• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

Not Sub Driver related : Good Night, Irene

David,

I'll be thinking of you in the next couple of days as Irene could be heading right over your house.

At least, you won't have to worry about keeping the pool filled to test your latest creation.

Stay well and dry.

Dan
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by roedj
    David,

I'll be thinking of you in the next couple of days as Irene could be heading right over your house.

At least, you won't have to worry about keeping the pool filled to test your latest creation.

Stay well and dry.

Thanks, Dan.

Dan
    Ellie and Rose will be sent off to the local Shelter tomorrow night, I've got the yard furniature and stuff in the sheds, and I'm doing my best to get stuff in the shop to high-ground.

Standing by.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
      Ellie and Rose will be sent off to the local Shelter tomorrow night, I've got the yard furniature and stuff in the sheds, and I'm doing my best to get stuff in the shop to high-ground.

Standing by.

David,
      Never mind about the yard furniture, make sure you get my Foxtrot Fittings Kits out before it hits! Good grief - it's one feeble excuse after another. A hurricane indeed! Whatever next!
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Aug 2008

OK, the Hurricane aint' working ....

... how bout: my dog ate the masters and tools?

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• spankey
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Aug 2010

Good luck. Batten down the hatches, and make sure the scupper plugs are out in the shop for quick drainage!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by spankey
            Good luck. Batten down the hatches, and make sure the scupper plugs are out in the shop for quick drainage!
            Will do, sir.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• jlday1256
              Lieutenant
              • Jun 2011

Irene

Dave:

Current storm track has shifted east. Eye to Norfolk, appx 95 miles. May be in tropical storm winds at that point. Stay safe. Remember, in the words of Ron White " It isn't that the wind is blowin'. It's what the wind is blowin'".

Oh, from past experience, getting a few DVDs to watch while you wait out the storm is a great idea, until the power goes out...

Jim "DooDah" Day
              Doodah
              If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!

Comment

• Rpmtech1
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Dec 2009

Hurricanes are such a PITA...I went through 2 of them on our boat, one was more a storm, the other was "john" with 99mph wind. They eye was weird, what fun lol. I was so sick of water I moved to AZ (actually no joke, needed some peace which boat ownership supplys none of)

Comment

• Aug 2008

The first edge of Hurricane Irene (from this point on referred to simply as, That *****!) is about six hours away. We have the property pretty much secured. But .... no ... Ellie, my hard-core, kick-ass, take names, Filipino Bride, is, as I write this, girdling our house in clear plastic paint drop-cloth material, Duct-Tape, and God know's what else in an attempt to keep the water out!?.....

Remember that tragic scene in the TV movie, The Day After: just as the missiles are launched at American, that poor farmer husband finds his still-in-denial wife upstairs calmly making up the beds. He's compelled to drag her, kicking and screaming, downstairs to the safety of their fall-out shelter?

Well, now I know what that pragmatic, grounded Farmer, and his wife, were all about.

Here are some shots of the property and what we have done (and Ellie is still doing despite my gentle suggestions to let it go) to prepare things for Irene's visit later today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	63836 Ellie actually thinks she can achieve a watertight barrier between the house and the Great Outdoors with plastic sheet and Duct Tape. Believe you me, once she plants her feet about something, you're better served to simply get out of her way!

Name:	017.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	63835 Most of my masters and tools are stored in these two sheds. If they are still standing this time tomorrow, I will regard it as a good day. We'll see ...

Name:	026.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	63837 Typical contents of a shed: rubber tools, unassembled plastic and GRP model kits, wood-lathe and other outsized tools, plans, GRP raw materials, GRP tools, completed cast resin parts, and a wide array of hand-tools.

Name:	014.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	63840 Last Hurricane (2003) we lost about 80% of our siding. I don't like this color anyway!

Name:	030.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	63838 A few wraps of line around the pool-cover and the Caswell-Merriman Seep-Sea Simulation Facility will be secure for heavy weather

Name:	031.jpg
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	63839 What I could not stuff into the sheds has been tied down against the coming high winds. Hope the neighbors do the same thing (yeah ... right!).

Name:	033.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	63841 The D&E Industrial Complex (and home).

More later if the power is still up ....

David,
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• jlday1256
                    Lieutenant
                    • Jun 2011

Try to keep her away from you with the plastic sheet and duct tape. Is it legal in Virginia for a woman to handle duct tape?
                    Doodah
                    If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by jlday1256
                      Try to keep her away from you with the plastic sheet and duct tape. Is it legal in Virginia for a woman to handle duct tape?
                      Yes. And, oh God! They have the Vote too! ...
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Anyone heard from the Wizard and family? Hope they got through safe.
                        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• vital.spark
                          Commander
                          • May 2010

Just heard from him that there was no Damage or flooding, the power is back on and they are all OK! I think he has some connections upstairs!

Comment

• Aug 2008

As Myron says, we skated out of this one pretty much clean. About a weeks worth of clean-up and we're back in business. Here are the 'after' pictures.

Oh, by the way: Ellie's plastic sheet and Duct tape house 'band-aid' worked! No water got in. God, I'll never hear the end of it now!

Name:	017.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	63842 The morning after, the neighbors tree fell and took out their fence -- and blocked one end of the road. Neighbors were out in no time with chain-saws.

Name:	031.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	63843 Ellie surveying her still intact house 'band-aid'. Hey ... it worked! No water got into the house!
                            Attached Files
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Anuci
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2008

That's great news, Dave!

Glad to hear that Ellie didn't break anything with all that work she had done. That's all you would have needed.
                              All is well that ends well.

Al,

Comment

Working...