X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sinksalot
    Commander
    • Mar 2020

Required radio frequencies at Events

Hi I had a few people ask me about what radio frequencies are allowed at Sub events. I know for the Carmel R/C Submarine Fun Run it says on the info, that "ALL SUBMARINERS must operate on the legal 75 MHz, 27 MHz land frequencies." I am guessing 2.4ghz is fine too, but no 72mhz

My question is, is Subfest 2022 doing the same thing requiring legal 75 MHz, 27 MHz land frequencies and 2.4ghz, but no 72mhz. While this doesn't effect me, there some people who wish to know, as no sense bringing a sub if they are not allow to run it.

I am guessing the reason for no 72mhz is for insurance reasons, but that's a guess on my part.

• roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

We, Hamsters, get no love. When listing "legal" frequencies for RC subs the totally legal 50 - 54 MHz band is available i*** you have the proper amateur radio license.

Captain Concerned.

Bob, why does your forum censor constantly disallow the word "i***" ( eye - ef - apostrophe - en)?
    Last edited by roedj; 06-25-2022, 10:58 AM.
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• Das Boot
      Rear Admiral
      • Dec 2019

I’m going to be at Georgia, and I’m an Extra Class amateur, N4GKS. Anyone that wants to run 50-54 MHz can do so, as long as I’m present. Also, I’m sure no one will running 72 MHz for aircraft, since everyone that I know of has moved to 2.4 GHz.
      Last edited by Das Boot; 06-25-2022, 05:12 PM.
      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• SubDude
        Captain
        • Dec 2019

At Subfest we only have frequency control for 75 MHz. I was under the impression that 72 is acceptable but must be self regulated and of course 2.4 GHz is fine.

Comment

• roedj
          Captain
          • Sep 2008

...as long as I’m present.

Just curious, but why must you be present if a licensed ham operator wants to run?

Captain Curious K8XW

Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• Das Boot
            Rear Admiral
            • Dec 2019

Originally posted by roedj
            ...as long as I’m present.

Just curious, but why must you be present if a licensed ham operator wants to run?

Captain Curious K8XW
            If I’m the only one there.

Comment

• Schmitty1944
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Mar 2021

Since 75mhz radios are clearly labeled "Surface use only" Technically they can't be used in a sub (unless you never submerge).

Jason.
              Last edited by Schmitty1944; 06-26-2022, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• Das Boot
                Rear Admiral
                • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Schmitty1944
                Since 75mhz radios are clearly labeled "Surface use only" Technically they can't be used in a sub (unless you never submerge).

Jason.
                That’s funny.

Comment

• SubDude
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Schmitty1944

Jason.
                  Oy yoy yoy....

Steve

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                    Welcome to my underwater realm!
                    • Aug 2009

As far as I'm concerned, and by the letter of the SUBFEST law, only frequencies assigned to legal surface craft use are endorsed and allowed by the event. *wink * wink, *nudge * nudge.

We're all adults. Use due care and attention and all will be well. Act stupid and we'll eject you and your boat and consign you to the briny deep!

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
                      As far as I'm concerned, and by the letter of the SUBFEST law, only frequencies assigned to legal surface craft use are endorsed and allowed by the event. *wink * wink, *nudge * nudge.

We're all adults. Use due care and attention and all will be well. Act stupid and we'll eject you and your boat and consign you to the briny deep!
                      Arrrrrrrrrrr, make ‘em walk tha plank, Arrrrrrrrrr.

Comment

Working...