X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thorbrandr
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Mar 2022

UPS strikes...looking for advice on some paint for touch ups

As my entry into the R/C sub arena, I decided to go with a RTR setup of a decent kit. My end goal is to work up to building a 1/32 SM U-35. Starting with the R-Class was a good place.

Bob got this out faster than expected, and had it very well packed. However, UPS can't seem to resist a challenge. The two halves of the crate were sheered apart, one end broken apart, and there was a 3" hole in the side. Every screw holding the two halves of the crate was ripped out. UPS taped it back together, so it looked OK when my wife received the package while I was away. Bob is taking this up with UPS.

Good news is the damage appears to be all cosmetic. WTC is fine, Radio is fine, Main hull and control services are all fine. When UPS sheared the box, it took the conning tower off. Fortunately it came off at the glue line, and it has neatly slipped back into place. I have found all the pieces save one - a cable stanchion on the rear hull - and I can make a replacement for that easy enough.

My big issue now is matching the paint. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Chris

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Thorbrandr
    As my entry into the R/C sub arena, I decided to go with a RTR setup of a decent kit. My end goal is to work up to building a 1/32 SM U-35. Starting with the R-Class was a good place.

Bob got this out faster than expected, and had it very well packed. However, UPS can't seem to resist a challenge. The two halves of the crate were sheered apart, one end broken apart, and there was a 3" hole in the side. Every screw holding the two halves of the crate was ripped out. UPS taped it back together, so it looked OK when my wife received the package while I was away. Bob is taking this up with UPS.

Good news is the damage appears to be all cosmetic. WTC is fine, Radio is fine, Main hull and control services are all fine. When UPS sheared the box, it took the conning tower off. Fortunately it came off at the glue line, and it has neatly slipped back into place. I have found all the pieces save one - a cable stanchion on the rear hull - and I can make a replacement for that easy enough.

My big issue now is matching the paint. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Chris

color wheel and acrylics in white, black, clear, red, yellow, and blue. Take it from there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_51735.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	161075

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_51736.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	161076

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Sinksalot
      Commander
      • Mar 2020

Yes if there a way to break a Sub, UPS will find it. UPS broke the whole bow off my sub.

Comment

• Thorbrandr
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Mar 2022

OK, found a line of paints locally that look like a virtually perfect match.,.,

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

OK, found a line of paints locally that look like a virtually perfect match.,.,
          Take it to Lowes. I took my tugboat bridge to them and they matched the paint perfectly.
          Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Tom Spettel
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Dec 2009

Why do you guys keep insisting on sending your
            models through the system. it doesnt mater which one
            You use they all use the same kinda of equipment and draw there help from the same places. They all are looking for the same customers…. Big volume… in other words they UPS, fedex and the rest ship parts to make components that inturn a final product and those parts are often heavy and not often but every time shift in the load on its way to its destination hence
            things get busted. If you want your prised model to get to its destination then use a shipping service that ships fine art!!!

Comment

• Thorbrandr
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Mar 2022

Originally posted by Tom Spettel
              models through the system. it doesnt mater which one
              You use they all use the same kinda of equipment and draw there help from the same places. They all are looking for the same customers…. Big volume… in other words they UPS, fedex and the rest ship parts to make components that inturn a final product and those parts are often heavy and not often but every time shift in the load on its way to its destination hence
              things get busted. If you want your prised model to get to its destination then use a shipping service that ships fine art!!!
              How about some civility here? No need to be nasty. OK?

I decided to get into this hobby, and went to a trusted source for a RTR as a starting point. I simply ordered it. Bob did a good job of packing, and he has shipped a lot of models.

Chris

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

I decided to get into this hobby, and went to a trusted source for a RTR as a starting point. I simply ordered it. Bob did a good job of packing, and he has shipped a lot of models.

Chris
                Chris, I do not. think Tom Spettel is being nasty. He works for one of the big shipping companies and is sharing what he sees. Actually, I would like to know more about these art shippers.......might. be a good source.
                Peace,
                Tom
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

Chris
                  Tom was civil. He sited and commented on institutions of transport, not people. He identified the shortcomings of those institutions and (and I so appreciate this) he offered a solution.

Tom. Nasty? No. Helpful!

(I now pause momentarily to pull my nose out of Tom's ass).

We all, if we're in this game long enough, will have one or more of our babies trashed by a shipping outfit. Sad, but true.

David
                  Moderator of the Underworld
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Submanp238
                    Ensign
                    • Apr 2022

Maybe I can help. I built this model. The colors used are as follows:
                    Below the waterline: RAL 7026
                    Above the waterline: Cromabase 58.1

Both are Dupont basecoats; I then used a matt finish as a topcoat.

I also see that UPS broke the vise off the tower. Only the R-10 had the vice on the back. I may have another one.

I hope you enjoy the boat; it was a great running sub.

All the best
                    Ken Griffin

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      Welcome to my underwater realm!
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Tom Spettel
                      models through the system. If you want your prised model to get to its destination then use a shipping service that ships fine art!!!
                      Been there and done that. Not realistic from a pricing perspective. Crating and packing could be as much or more than the value of the model. Those services do a tremendous job of creating very solid crating, BUT, they still use standard trucking companies.

Bottom line, no matter the service, not matter the packaging, if they want to destroy your boat, they'll do it.

The only sure-fire way to get it to you without damage is to pick it up in person and drive it yourself.

Bob

Comment

• Das Boot
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Dec 2019

Listen guys, I have a relative who works for an unnamed shipping company. I’ve visited him at work, and from the sidelines, got to watch some loading. Pack your **** right, and you won’t have a problem. But, it’s a bumpy ride if you don’t.
                        Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Schmitty1944
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Mar 2021

I've shipped many models and had many shipped to me. I would say almost all of them arrive with minor damage and around 25% have substantial damage. The packing is a huge factor of course but there is a point where the cost of time, materials and the added cost of shipping a larger heavier box makes it un-realistic. I totally agree with Bob, If it's a large delicate model pick it up in person. Make a fun road trip or holiday out of it. Yes it will be expensive but you will probably have a lot of fun memories associated with your new model.

Jason

Comment

• Thorbrandr
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Mar 2022

Good to know. I will take this as glass half full and be happy that I have relatively minor repairs and a bit of a practice project.

Thx
                            Chris

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                              Welcome to my underwater realm!
                              • Aug 2009

For smaller boats, I'd be completely open to flying a sub to someone if they pay for fuel. 5ft is about as big as I'm able to fit in my plane. I've done this a couple of times now for customers who were two states away from me. You can also tie in a pickup to a sub event and meet the seller there to do the handoff, getting the experience of the fun run in with the pickup.

Comment

Working...