Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

That kit has been available for about a year or so now.

The hulls were made many years ago, and clearly the tools survived, as the kit has now been rereleased by Bob D, with several enchancements like photoetched slot templates. I expect some extra deatil has been added to the hull set too.

Big boat!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

OH MY GOODNESS! ITS HUGE! WHERE WOULD I PUT IT??? HOW would I haul it? Why couldnt he make one of a more "Reasonable" Size? Like 55" or thereabouts. Personally I think OTW stuff is great, I just could never justify the cost. For the cost of one of his subs I could build 2 and1/2 subs from other sources.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

I've often heard modellers suck air in over the price of OTW products, but you get what you pay for. These are very high quality kits that build into museum quality pieces.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Yep, Ive talked to Bob Dimmak several times. Great guy. He quoted me one time in British pounds not dollars but I didnt know that. I thought, well thats not bad. Then it hit me.

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

What are you comparing them against? I know most of the kit producers out there, and I know the prices they charge. AFAIK the most expensive kit in the OTW range is the Type VII, which is £775 here in the UK. However I think you lose the 20% VAT in the U.S so that works out quite a bit less, and by my math around the $1000 mark. Now looking at equivalent models of equal size and complexity in the U.S market they tend to be between two thirds to almost double that price.

I'm aware you can get large hulls for less, but when you put them next to each other, you see the difference. Generally the cheaper hulls will need a shedload more work to bring them up to the same standard of detail. You pays your money.

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

My 1:72 Surcouf molds do not have the detail that OTW's has, but it's still a neat looking model. At present, I have the hull, conning tower, dive planes and rudder. I'm not sure if I can get a GRP model going, but I'm fairly sure we could quickly produce the hull on our vacu-former.

It, would come in 6 sections. I suspect price inc fittings would be about $300.

The vacu-fromer is being wired up this week, and we are waiting for delivery of the 220volt 3 phase converter unit. Should be running late next week.

I'm excited about this, we should be able to do short runs of models that tend to be a little esoteric. I'm keen on the K Class!
              Last edited by Kazzer; 12-22-2012, 06:04 AM.
              Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

About Six years ago I priced an Upholder hull and dive unit. After conversion it came out to around $900 for the hull and hardware and every bit of that for the WTC unit which wasnt complete. There were other items to buy. Not to mention the radio and electronics and then shipping to the US. Since then I think I have got used to spending more money on this stuff. I havent checked his prices lately.

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

That was buying direct from him, since then I found a vendor who gives better prices, somehow, but Im not sure If I can trust him.

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

The OTW modules are supplied with all the electronics minus servos and receiver.

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Someday I might give his stuff a whirl. I still like the Upholder and I like experimenting with different dive systems.

Comment

• herrmill
                        Commander
                        • Dec 2008

I stumbled across some interesting 3D work today. Not sure how accurate these are but it does show some angles you'd not expect from anyone but an eccentric French (or Italian) design team.

French WW2 submarine SURCOUF 3D Model available on Turbo Squid, the world's leading provider of digital 3D models for visualization, films, television, and games.

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Wow, what a great program. I went thru them and saved the best ones for further enhancment

Comment

• Kazzer
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by herrmill
                            I stumbled across some interesting 3D work today. Not sure how accurate these are but it does show some angles you'd not expect from anyone but an eccentric French (or Italian) design team.

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...ouf-ww2/433802
                            What a great aid to anyone who is modelling this boat!
                            Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Mankster
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                              • Apr 2009

There are numerous inaccuracies in those 3D renderings but yes a very good aid for visualising the boat, nice find. Must start on mine again.

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

More CAD drawings.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	Surcouf 3D.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	75540Click image for larger version

Name:	Surcouf 3D from rear.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	75541Click image for larger version

Name:	Surcouf angle.jpg
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	75542Click image for larger version

Name:	Surcouf bow view.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	75543Click image for larger version

Name:	Surcouf closer.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	75544Click image for larger version

Name:	Surcouf conn. detail.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	75545Click image for larger version

Name:	Surcouf side.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	75546
                                Last edited by greenman407; 01-03-2013, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Working...