X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sam Victory
    Commander
    • Sep 2021

Sci-fi spaceship transformed into RC submarine

Some submarines or spaceships in science fiction movies can also be converted into RC submarines, and Seaview is a good example. I have selected some interesting ones that you can download and convert to RC versions with 3D software.
    1.The Nautilus :The Nautilus, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Movie by DONW999 - Thingiverse (Mr. Bob made this beautiful model before)
    2.The Spaceship Yamato:hanadigitalart.blogspot.com
    3.海底軍艦~轟天号(I'm not sure what this thing is in English, I forgot the web address where I downloaded this 3D model before, this 3D file is in SKP format, it would be nice if someone could teach me how to share the 3D file on the forum.)
  • Sam Victory
    Commander
    • Sep 2021

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

ATRAGON. On my bucket-list.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Sam Victory
        Commander
        • Sep 2021

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

David
        Thank you very much, Mr. David, I didn't even know its name before that, and I hadn't seen the movie before. About ATRAGON, it is a fictional Japanese submarine from a long time ago, and I can hardly find any drawings or plans about it on the internet. I have a 3D model of it but I don't know how to share it on the forum yet. You are a craftsman and I guess you will skretch build this submarine. Well I found a high precision paper model of this submarine and the corresponding process,which may help you.

paper model download link:https://only-paper.ru/load/morskoj_f...02/87-1-0-4081

corresponding process link:http://uhu02.way-nifty.com/die_eule_.../324-fa81.html ( in Japanese )

Sam V
        Last edited by Sam Victory; 10-13-2021, 10:12 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

David
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211013-224745_Chrome.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	154412

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Sam Victory
            Commander
            • Sep 2021

I've seen videos like this before where the drill bit at the head of the submarine actually rotates!
            youtube Video link: https://youtu.be/jos75ZcU6CI

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219

Name:	Screenshot_20211013-224745_Chrome.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	154412
              Beautiful. Inspirational. It's in the rotation. Should get to it in about 23 years, as there is a queue.

Thanks for sharing that video, first time I've seen it.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Bob Gato
                Captain
                • Feb 2019

Name:	Screenshot (488).png
Views:	338
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	154425 This is already out there in the thread archives of NDF somewhere- it's probably one of the best operating adaptations of a Sci-Fi spaceship into an RC model sub that I've seen.

Subscribe if you like what you see, and follow me on instagram to see the builds in progress : https://www.instagram.com/ajwoodpiece/ Detailed Images : https...
                Last edited by Bob Gato; 10-13-2021, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• Sam Victory
                  Commander
                  • Sep 2021

Originally posted by Bob Gato

Name:	Screenshot (488).png
Views:	338
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	154425 This is already out there in the thread archives of NDF somewhere- it's probably one of the best operating adaptations of a Sci-Fi spaceship into an RC model sub that I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng_E0e5w05s
                  Really impressive, sir. Check out this site, there are many similar ones in there, made by a Japanese modeler, very interesting.
                  link:作品集 (rc-blueworld.com)

Name:	014enterprise-ydd_01s.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	154440Click image for larger version

Name:	014enterprise-ydd_02s.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	154441Click image for larger version

Name:	014enterprise-ydd_09s.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	154442

Name:	006shat-rn_04s.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	154443

Name:	捕获.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	154439

The ones ticked in the picture are transformed into dynamic rc submarines.

Comment

• tifosi12
                    Commander
                    • Jul 2020

At first it sounds like a crazy idea but actually the element of water gives these space ships a natural way to move and float. So I can see the point, especially if you observe them from under water or video tape them from under water. I kinda like it.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Sam Victory

Thank you very much, Mr. David, I didn't even know its name before that, and I hadn't seen the movie before. About ATRAGON, it is a fictional Japanese submarine from a long time ago, and I can hardly find any drawings or plans about it on the internet. I have a 3D model of it but I don't know how to share it on the forum yet. You are a craftsman and I guess you will skretch build this submarine. Well I found a high precision paper model of this submarine and the corresponding process,which may help you.

paper model download link:https://only-paper.ru/load/morskoj_f...02/87-1-0-4081

corresponding process link:http://uhu02.way-nifty.com/die_eule_.../324-fa81.html ( in Japanese )

Sam V
                      I have good quality 'fan' produced orthographic drawings of the ATRAGON. If you with, I'll copy that material and send it to you. E-mail me your mailing address and I'll fix you up. Here's mine: dmeriman@aol.com

Name:	tumblr_m9umj2kIsL1rw9l47o1_500[1].jpg
Views:	299
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	154462Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_n3oi9sEIqT1qzr8nao3_1280[1].jpg
Views:	244
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	154463Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_nhetbjZYaR1s2jfn0o6_1280[1].jpg
Views:	247
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	154464Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_p2ahuqP8oK1w7117ko1_1280[1].jpg
Views:	248
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	154465Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_nhetbjZYaR1s2jfn0o7_1280[1].jpg
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	154466

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Sam Victory
                        Commander
                        • Sep 2021

I have good quality 'fan' produced orthographic drawings of the ATRAGON. If you with, I'll copy that material and send it to you. E-mail me your mailing address and I'll fix you up. Here's mine: dmeriman@aol.com

Name:	tumblr_m9umj2kIsL1rw9l47o1_500[1].jpg
Views:	299
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	154462Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_n3oi9sEIqT1qzr8nao3_1280[1].jpg
Views:	244
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	154463Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_nhetbjZYaR1s2jfn0o6_1280[1].jpg
Views:	247
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	154464Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_p2ahuqP8oK1w7117ko1_1280[1].jpg
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	154465Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_nhetbjZYaR1s2jfn0o7_1280[1].jpg
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	154466

David
                        Thank you very much Mr. David, already wrote you an email.
                        Sam V

Comment

• Aug 2008

... I'm on it, Sam.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Sinksalot
                            Commander
                            • Mar 2020

Yea I plan on 3D printing the Skydiver sub and making it RC. But that wont be till next year. But the 3D model needs a few more mods to it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	sky1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.2 KB ID:	154601

Comment

• tifosi12
                              Commander
                              • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Sinksalot
                              Yea I plan on 3D printing the Skydiver sub and making it RC. But that wont be till next year. But the 3D model needs a few more mods to it.

Click image for larger version Name:	sky1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.2 KB ID:	154601
                              OMG, that's precisely what I'm planning to do as well!

Where did you get this great model? If legally ok, would you mind sharing the files? There is one guy who is working on a nice resin model of the Sub but the scale is so small, that it doesn't work for RC. I offered him to buy his 3D files (which he developed) but he refused to. I can understand that although it sucks.

I have a 3D model of it as well, but it is not very practical: It was made for 3D renderings so the "walls" are paper thin, not meant to be printed or built. I have been working on transforming it into a printable version but it's a bear of a job and the end result lacks details. Your 3D model looks a lot better.

I missed the boat (haha) to get it from Mama in the UK as well as from the guyz in Oz when it was available as a kit. Bummer, but such is life. At least I got what's probably the last kit from Mama for the SHADO Mobile, so that'll make a nice partner along the shoreline.

The Skydiver offers a great deal of engineering challenges. My idea is to make it a fully static diver and also use its rear "wings" along with the jets wings as dive planes forward and aft. I'm thinking two drive shafts with props just at the end of the thrusters. I have seen somebody once talking online about using RC thrusters but never heard again of that project. Seems to complicated for me. One of the drawbacks is that the props just go backwards but won't hit a diving or steering surface. Not sure how efficient they will be in diving, which is why I opted for a static diving system to get it below the surface. Also thinking about asymmetric thrust as the way of steering: Running one prop backwards while the other runs forward, should create enough momentum to turn it. I have used that approach on a regular RC boat and it worked pretty well, in fact the thing can almost turn on a dime.

Would love to hear your thoughts and your progress. As I said, mine is still way out there. I have to learn more before I can tackle this huge project.
                              Last edited by tifosi12; 05-30-2022, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Working...