Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

I am done for now. Used a triangle and a different brush. Going to use multiple brushes on the test article. The triangle does guide the brush better for vertical strokes but slows the process down some. Patience is all I can say. In the previous post I think I applied the paint on too heavy. Here I lightened it up. This has the base coat applied. It appears lighter in the picture than in person. My Skipjack is going to look great!

Click image for larger version  Name:	1B620C23-5ADC-4DD7-A824-7868B0369CF2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	158881

Click image for larger version  Name:	ED58FBFF-F77B-461D-8441-621A95F90715.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	74.2 KB ID:	158880

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
      Captain
      • Apr 2020

Looking good Ken!

Comment

• Ken_NJ
        Captain
        • Sep 2014

Thanks Nick. I'm curious what you will be doing with your VIIc. That would be a whole different type of weathering than my Skipjack.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
          I am done for now. Used a triangle and a different brush. Going to use multiple brushes on the test article. The triangle does guide the brush better for vertical strokes but slows the process down some. Patience is all I can say. In the previous post I think I applied the paint on too heavy. Here I lightened it up. This has the base coat applied. It appears lighter in the picture than in person. My Skipjack is going to look great!

Click image for larger version Name:	1B620C23-5ADC-4DD7-A824-7868B0369CF2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	158881

Click image for larger version Name:	ED58FBFF-F77B-461D-8441-621A95F90715.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	74.2 KB ID:	158880
          Your approach to learning the process is much more methodical and structured than mine, Ken. You're taking ME back to school! Wonderful stuff. You'll be there in no time.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
            Captain
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Your approach to learning the process is much more methodical and structured than mine, Ken. You're taking ME back to school! Wonderful stuff. You'll be there in no time.

David
            I'm just doing what you have been showing us all this time with your posts. If it wasn't for you, I probably would not be attempting this. Same as your encouragement to get me scribing on the Marlin. Always fun to acquire more skills and do something you haven't done before, as apprehensive as you may be with starting the unknown to yourself.

On another note. The bottom one of that last attempt I did. How can I get less paint on the subject? Was trying to figure what to do on that matter. Or don't worry about it and it will be covered by the over spray of the topcoat? May try more practicing tomorrow on that.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Keep experimenting with various sized, bristle strength, and shape of the brush. And shake out and rub out even more paint from the brush before doing the streaking thing.

Craft is not invented. Craft is only refined and passed on from one to another, and another, and...

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                Captain
                • Sep 2014

Alrighty on those techniques. Starting today, practice on the test article.

For the sail planes, top would be non skid surface, bottom side oil caning? For the stern planes and rudder, oil canning on all sides?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Alrighty on those techniques. Starting today, practice on the test article.

For the sail planes, top would be non skid surface, bottom side oil caning? For the stern planes and rudder, oil canning on all sides?
                  Yes. Yes. And... yes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	009 - Copy.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	158991

Name:	DSCN0094.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	158992

Name:	DSCF9844.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	158993

Name:	DSCN0058 (2).JPG
Views:	134
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	158994

David
                  Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-07-2022, 03:44 PM.
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2014

First attempt on test hull. Hard to get a good picture with light glare.

Name:	584B1083-B0A1-4B3A-87AE-117C670CA8CB.jpeg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	159002

Name:	A8BE4C5A-A333-4B8C-9838-E6A61DD56188.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	159001
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Ken_NJ; 02-07-2022, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

First attempt on test hull. Hard to get a good picture with light glare.

Name:	584B1083-B0A1-4B3A-87AE-117C670CA8CB.jpeg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	159002

Name:	A8BE4C5A-A333-4B8C-9838-E6A61DD56188.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	159001
                      Now use a brush with stiffer bristles -- you want a 'scratchier' looking array of streaks. Experiment, experiment... experiment!
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2014

Bought a pack of cheap kids brushes and cut one short to make it stiffer. Did the same with a cheapo 1 inch brush. Used those to hope make it scratchier. In this experiment it did come out scratchier, I think. Seems how I apply the paint always results in always having a curve at the bottom. I dunno, not feeling confident on the results.

Before top coating
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	F58773C3-9287-432A-B08A-80E2AA2382CF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	68.2 KB ID:	159053

After top coating
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	5890C7BA-A5C1-4B5F-9F81-4FF62958784F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	66.5 KB ID:	159054

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2020

It looks good to me in the second photo. The curve at the bottom that isn’t noticeable in the second photo, is that from a change of applied pressure to the brush perhaps? Anyways I think your work is looking good and always getting better.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Press at the top of the stroke. Back off half-way down the stroke. Keep swinging, Tiger. You're almost there.

Get to work!

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2014

Nick, the scallop shape at the bottom is the end of stretching out the paint which is applied at the top.

Its seems if I apply more pressure at the top it removes most of the paint there and makes it thinner, lighter at the top. I'm swinging away at it!

Wednesday going to start on the dive planes.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                                Captain
                                • Sep 2014

Had an epiphany while sleeping. Happens a lot. My thoughts are this. I'm brushing on the paint in a wide pattern then streaking it down the hull. I should be dabbing the paint in a narrow splotch then streaking it down. Also, I've been thinning the acrylic 1:1 with reducer. Maybe leaving it thicker and brushing it down would make it look more like 'proper' streaking.

Maybe not apply the paint the width of the brush. OR! Do it this way as a first light layer, then go back a second time with the brush held vertically to create more pronounced narrow vertical streaks.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4005.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	53.7 KB ID:	159088

The wash should look more like what I highlighted with the arrow. Here demonstrating how I perhaps should position the brush for a narrow streak instead of a wide wash.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4006.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	50.8 KB ID:	159089

David puts the paint on in small streaks. Not like a full wash like I was doing.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	Sub_3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.5 KB ID:	159090

This looks like a combination of a full wash with streaking applied on top of the full wash. Layered effect. This picture sticks in my mind a lot!!!
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	Sub_5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.9 KB ID:	159091

Time to change the technique. Thoughts?
                                Last edited by Ken_NJ; 02-09-2022, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Working...