X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

"Dirty" ESC's?

I just ran into an issue with the refit of an older model Engel Akula that I'm working on. The previous ESC got shorted in chlorinated water and when I swapped it for a MTronics Marine 15 ESC, I had some crazy results.

When I engaged the drive motor, I got really bad glitching on all of the servos and ballast system (and speed controller channel). The faster I went, the worse the issue. I twisted the main power lead to the ESC thinking that I was getting some electrical interference from the main power lead to the speed controller, but the problem didn't seem to be affected one way or the other. For reference, the ESC is at the far aft end of the dry hull, and the receiver is in the forward center section. There is about 18" separating the main motor and ESC from the receiver.

I swapped out the Viper 15 this morning for a ModelController ESC and the problem is (almost) eliminated. There is still a very slight hint of it, but its very workable.

Are there more "dirty" speed controllers than others, and what can I do to eliminate the issue?
  • Rpmtech1
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Dec 2009

Be sure you have 3 capacitors soldered on the motor, otherwise you get what you got.

Comment

Working...