X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonP-UK
    Lieutenant
    • Feb 2010

More uses for Caswell/Merriman ADF

I guess it is no secret that I am not a big fan of gas systems, its not that they dont work you understand, they do and David Merriman has proved that time and again. I have built them in the past with great success but the truth is I am just too tight to pay for the gas.
    I make my own piston tanks with one at the front and one at the rear and having boyancy for and aft makes a large boat much better when on the surface. I was lucky anough to win an ADF in last years competition so I put it in my little Alpha to try it out but with a difference. I linked the rear vane servo to a set of mico swithches that cut out the tank that is either filling or emptying first so as I submerge or surface the tanks maintain level trim without any messing about with bits of lead. Now the great thing is that by using the manual overide I can adjust surface trim by simply moving the vanes up or down and this automatically adjusts the tanks, I can then put vanes back to neutral and as soon as I dive the tanks sort things out. My party piece is to put a 4 oz block of lead on the stern but the boat will still dive and surface perfectly. LOVE IT!
  • Albion
    Captain
    • Dec 2008

more!..you said some micro switches, whereas only one would be needed to switch off the tank
    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Rpmtech1
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Dec 2009

I have no idea what your talking about, but I like the sound of it!

Comment

• oztruck
        Commander
        • May 2010

So what you are saying is, the motors controlling the pistons are being controlled by the ADF to keep the boat level. As the control surface moves via the ADF it activates a switch which it turn powers one of the pistons motors to level the boat and in the opposite direction controls the other piston?

Comment

• Rick Teskey
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jan 2009

Kevin Mcleod adf sold by Caswell?
          Rick

Comment

Working...