X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Henk Freubelaer
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Sep 2020

Good day to all,

I don't know if it is custom on this forum but I want to introduce my self as a new member before I start firing questions.

I am a military veteran from the Netherlands and (hard to admit) suffering PTSD.

A few years ago I did start on a hull to build a model submarine but unfortunaly life took a few sidesteps and over the period of time I lost all plans, drawings etc.
    To keep my mind bussy I desided that this is a excelent moment to revive my old idea again to start building that darn submarine :)

The plan is to design the model in Fusion with the help of plans and than 3D print most of it.

The model will be the Balao Class submarine SS-287 Bowfin in scale 1/72

And no doubt that I will run into a giant pile of problems and questions, but where is the fun if its easy :)

Oh and I almost forgot, just call me Henk
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Henk,

Not a tradition, but background is useful. Now, complete the picture: what is your experience with r/c vehicles? I need to know what you know and don't know in the field. R/c submarines are not an entry level activity.

Why print a GATO when a commercially available kit of the thing is available? https://youtu.be/INq9OqWFJys

Start with something simpler, like the 1/72 SKIPJACK. https://youtu.be/n_9KW9RuEnM https://youtu.be/r7SbUgb3HyY

Click image for larger version

Name:	008 (3).JPG
Views:	238
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	143917Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0267.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	143918

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Henk Freubelaer
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Sep 2020

Thank you for your reply Master.
      (yes your reputation is known XD)

In the past I did quite some modeling, mostly static 1/35 stuff.
      But I did build a ship and have some experience with RC cars.
      I am aware of the big RC equipment changes of today.
      I think it is safe to say that my knowledge is basic but I am learning.

As for building myself instead of a kit.
      I like and honestly need the challange.
      I need to keep my mind busy with complicated things to keep it from wondering off to dark places.
      Also tackling the problems and figuring them out is for me part of the fun.

For me, the journy is more importand than the destination.
      And according to friends, I am a stuborn hardheaded son of a b who alway's takes the hard route instead the easy road lol.

I hope this answers some questions.

And as a side note, that is a lovely model.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Henk Freubelaer
        Thank you for your reply Master.
        (yes your reputation is known XD)

In the past I did quite some modeling, mostly static 1/35 stuff.
        But I did build a ship and have some experience with RC cars.
        I am aware of the big RC equipment changes of today.
        I think it is safe to say that my knowledge is basic but I am learning.

As for building myself instead of a kit.
        I like and honestly need the challange.
        I need to keep my mind busy with complicated things to keep it from wondering off to dark places.
        Also tackling the problems and figuring them out is for me part of the fun.

For me, the journy is more importand than the destination.
        And according to friends, I am a stuborn hardheaded son of a b who alway's takes the hard route instead the easy road lol.

I hope this answers some questions.

And as a side note, that is a lovely model.
        You have the skills, so going the scratch-building route is in your sphere of capability. Go for it. But walk before you sprint: go with a 'simple' single shaft design first -- believe me, it will present enough challenges as a first-build. You will be fully engaged even with that first 'simple' boat, I can assure you.

We all have our demons. This is the second time you mentioned your 'mental state'. Your mental health is your issue to fix or run from. Not ours. I give no consideration to any peripheral situation unique to your or any one else's personal life unless it effects me, or those close to me. Nuff said.

Crack on, sir!

If I can assist you in almost any way, let me know. Between myself and the rest of the mob here, we should be able to help you over any r/c submarine humps you may encounter.

David
        The Horrible

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Henk Freubelaer
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Sep 2020

Again thank you for your reply sir.

About my mental state, ofcause you are absolutely right, sorry if I gave a wrong impression.
          Over the last years I have learned to be open and upfront with it so people understand the why I do things.
          The last thing I want is people feel sorry for me.
          And enough about that.

And trust me, you already have learned and helped me a lot.
          I lurked around the forums for some time, just now with the start of the project I found it a good time to join as well. :)

The amount of help on this forum is incredible, your a awesome bunch.
          Looking forward to learn more

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Henk Freubelaer
            Again thank you for your reply sir.

About my mental state, ofcause you are absolutely right, sorry if I gave a wrong impression.
            Over the last years I have learned to be open and upfront with it so people understand the why I do things.
            The last thing I want is people feel sorry for me.
            And enough about that.

And trust me, you already have learned and helped me a lot.
            I lurked around the forums for some time, just now with the start of the project I found it a good time to join as well. :)

The amount of help on this forum is incredible, your a awesome bunch.
            Looking forward to learn more
            Excellent.

Proceed, sir.

David
            The Horrible
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Glad you are here Henk.
              The Gato/Balao class is one of my favorite subs, but so is the Neatherland's Walrus!

Name:	Walrus_2020.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	143948

Looking forward to your build.....Please consider what David said, he taught me crawl, walk, run...... My first sub was the Revell Gato 1/72 scale. Not the easiest for several reasons, but I kept posting and getting my butt kicked to keep moving. These guys in this group are extremely supportive.
              Peace,
              tom
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by trout
                Glad you are here Henk.
                The Gato/Balao class is one of my favorite subs, but so is the Neatherland's Walrus!

Name:	Walrus_2020.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	143948

Looking forward to your build.....Please consider what David said, he taught me crawl, walk, run...... My first sub was the Revell Gato 1/72 scale. Not the easiest for several reasons, but I kept posting and getting my butt kicked to keep moving. These guys in this group are extremely supportive.
                Peace,
                tom
                Henk,

Listen to Tom and David! David has been at this Sub building a very long time! I have been at it for a year and a half (3D Printed 3 Subs all SURFACE RUNNERS) I think I am about ready to break out and build the real thing! With the likes of David, Tom, "Sub" Ed, Bob Martin (Nautilus Drydocks) and many others on this forum I will have lots of help. My advice is to take it slow and ask lots of questions, and put up photos as you go!

Name:	P6260004.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	143951Click image for larger version

Name:	P4070006.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	143952

Name:	P4070007.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	143953

I have everything ready to start, including the Skipjack fitting kit! As soon as I finish up my Sub Chaser 194 I will be all in for the Skipjack! It has taken me a year and a half to get ready for my FIRST real Sub, and I am going to STILL need help to build it. Henk! Listen to these guys and you will have a good outcome on your journey into the deep! (such profound words)

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• Henk Freubelaer
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Sep 2020

Thanks all for the kind words.

I absolutely will take the time for my build. I have enough time at my hands to take it slow and learn a lot.
                  With the modeling experience that I got over the years I feel confident enough to build the hull but when it comes to the internals thats where the hail of questions will start lol

I had a few rc models in the past but when I snoop around this forum and the interwebs I see that a lot is changed over the years.

I few years ago I started this project and came as far as an almost finished hull ready for fiberglass and working gas torpedo's that made it across a swimming pool.
                  All with the help of the articles of David (The Master (bow) that I found on the subcomite forum.

But life took a few sidesteps and made a little tapdance so I lost all my drawings and the model.
                  Now that I am in calmer water (pun intendent) I desided to revive the project again.

But I will keep reading articles, suck up any advice and ask questions when needed.
                  I know this forum is very welcoming, warm and helpfull, thats why I joined :)

And I will post pictures when I have something solid to show.

Henk

Comment

Working...