Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

herrmil, that site still says registration disabled. Its been saying that since April. I dont think that they want anymore people on there. Thanks for trying anyway.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Carter
      Ensign
      • Jul 2009

It is my understanding that I-400 was not painted red below the waterline, but was coated with a sonar-absorbing mixture of asbestos, glue and paint. What was the area covered by this coating? Below the waterline? The entire hull? And what should the color be? Dark Gray, I am guessing? Any ideas? Any opinions?

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Unfortunately all my pictures are b&w so I cant tell. Perhaps herrmill or Gantu knows. Maybe they will see this and respond.

Comment

• herrmill
          Commander
          • Dec 2008

Saw your post over at Modelwarship & replied there as well.

According to Hikoki's I-400 Japan's Secret Aircraft-Carrying Strike Submarine it was very close to same color as the rest of the sub, with a slightly brown shade, possibly from the triple layer of anechoic coating used below the waterline.

Damn shame Lindberg never got around to their planned 1:72 I-400 as it would have been a beast with plenty of opportunity to detail it as ugly as they actually were.

Comment

• Carter
            Ensign
            • Jul 2009

Thank you, herrmill. This is very helpful. I am going to mix a tad of Dark Brown with the Kure Gray for the coating--a drop or two to warm it up--and leave it at that. Maybe mixing in some clear flat will enhance it as well. I've got the 1/350 Tamiya I-400 waiting under the bench. Soon as the photo etch gets here I'll begin.

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

This picture shows the side of the I-400 without the sub tender in the way.Click image for larger version

Name:	I400 new.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	65711Click image for larger version

Name:	I402.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	65712Click image for larger version

Name:	i-400 deck gun.jpg
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	65713

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

In the second picture take note of the I-200 Sentaka class tied up alongside.

Comment

• Sam Victory
                  Commander
                  • Sep 2021

Hi, I am also particularly interested in the I-400 submarine, for which I have looked up a lot of information about it. I found a more authoritative answer about the color of the I-400 submarine on Yahoo Japan. The Japanese translation may be troublesome, so please translate it yourself, or use the translation function that comes with the web page.
                  Website link about I-400 colors:伊400潜水艦の船体の色は、通常の軍艦色ではないのですか?残された写... - Yahoo!知恵袋

Currently, there are two authoritative books on the I-400 submarine, one is mentioned in this post: I-400 - Japan's Secret Aircraft-Carrying Strike Submarine, which seems to be available at www.scribd.com free of charge. There is also a book that I think is the most authoritative, which can be bought at Amazon: 伊四〇〇と晴嵐 全記録 改訂増補版 単行本, but it is all in Japanese and should be available in electronic form.

Comment

• tifosi12
                    Commander
                    • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Sam Victory
                    Hi, I am also particularly interested in the I-400 submarine, for which I have looked up a lot of information about it. I found a more authoritative answer about the color of the I-400 submarine on Yahoo Japan. The Japanese translation may be troublesome, so please translate it yourself, or use the translation function that comes with the web page.
                    Website link about I-400 colors:伊400潜水艦の船体の色は、通常の軍艦色ではないのですか?残された写... - Yahoo!知恵袋

Currently, there are two authoritative books on the I-400 submarine, one is mentioned in this post: I-400 - Japan's Secret Aircraft-Carrying Strike Submarine, which seems to be available at www.scribd.com free of charge. There is also a book that I think is the most authoritative, which can be bought at Amazon: 伊四〇〇と晴嵐 全記録 改訂増補版 単行本, but it is all in Japanese and should be available in electronic form.
                    Wow, you just pulled the ultimate necromancer card: ten year old thread revival :)

Thanks for the reference information. AFAIK Bob from the Nautilusdrydocks is working on making 3D files of an I-400 available for sale sometime soon.

I have found some files online but the model isn't great, so I'm waiting for Bob's version to come out. If it is anywhere as good as some of his other 3D models, it'll be awesome.

Comment

• Sam Victory
                      Commander
                      • Sep 2021

Originally posted by tifosi12

Wow, you just pulled the ultimate necromancer card: ten year old thread revival :)

Thanks for the reference information. AFAIK Bob from the Nautilusdrydocks is working on making 3D files of an I-400 available for sale sometime soon.

I have found some files online but the model isn't great, so I'm waiting for Bob's version to come out. If it is anywhere as good as some of his other 3D models, it'll be awesome.
                      In fact, I have previously shared with Bob via email quite a few submarine plans (including I-400 of course) and high precision paper models of submarines. All of these things can be 3D modeled to help Bob develop a better model of the submarine.

Comment

• Sam Victory
                        Commander
                        • Sep 2021

In another very old thread I also answered an interesting question about a submarine that really looks like the French Surcouf. Actually it was not French Surcouf, but a fictional submarine in a movie, based on the French Surcouf. the name of the movie was Lorelei, a Japanese movie.
                        Last edited by Sam Victory; 10-11-2021, 03:04 AM.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2014

My I-400....in 1:350.

Click image for larger version

Name:	I-400-55.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	154251

Name:	I-400-56.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	154252

Name:	I-400-57.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	154253

Name:	I-400-58.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	154254

Name:	I-400-59.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	154255

Name:	I-400-60.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	154256

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
                            Beautiful work, sir.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2014

Thank you sir. The PE drove me nuts....
                              Last edited by DrSchmidt; 10-11-2021, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• tifosi12
                                Commander
                                • Jul 2020

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
                                Looks great!

What's PE?

Comment

Working...