• Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Making rivets

Uwe Burghardt posted this on Facebook.

Pretty cool.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy4h...TPW4fsbpFiNKX8

Uwe Burghardt posted this on Facebook.

Pretty cool.
    Now THAT is slicker than snot! Thanks for sharing the technique, Tom. I'm filing that one away for future use. That video has to be setting the wheels in motion in Bob's head right about now. Laser cut self-adhesive vinyl tape I assume is the stencil material?

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

I don’t know, but guessing yes. Makes me wonder if there are other ways to do that or how small it will work.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I don’t know, but guessing yes. Makes me wonder if there are other ways to do that or how small it will work.
        Sure, this is how I've done raised and flush rivets over the years:

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Thank you David for sharing, I have most of those techniques of yours memorized (because of you willing to share). That being said, there are some new nuggets in those photos I missed before. Like, is that the same t-shirt from 10 years ago?
            on a serious note, the disks you punch out, in the photo following where you are placing 4 disks around a circle, are those going to be flush?the other circles look like they are flush are they?
            Last edited by trout; 12-29-2019, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thank you David for sharing, I have most of those techniques of yours memorized (because of you willing to share). That being said, there are some new nuggets in those photos I missed before. Like, is that the same t-shirt from 10 years ago?
              on a serious note, the disks you punch out, in the photo following where you are placing 4 disks around a circle, are those going to be flush?the other circles look like they are flush are they?
              … and, I must point out, never washed! No dress code here, pal (unless Ellie says so).

The USS ALLIGATOR, an American Civil War Union submarine, underwent modifications after its initial sea-trials. As built all the rivets were flush with the hull plating. However, post shake-down the propulsion system was changed from reciprocating oars to a traditional single screw propeller. The stuffing glands for the transverse oar operating shafts were blanked off internally and, I have to assume, those internal blanking plates were fastened with rivets. And as this would have been an out-of-specification alteration, I further assumed they would have taken the expedient route and used traditional rivets with the heads projecting past the plating. Of course, my assumptions in this and other undocumented areas of the ALLIGATORE features could be total horse-****. Just my best guess.

I was lead-man on the design of this craft for the Discovery Science Channel episode, Search For The Alligator. So, I did a lot of research and was assisted by some pretty sharp tools here and abroad. No less a personage was on board than Jim Christly. I was also principle miniature. Other model work was done by Tim Smalley and Jim Christly.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Groot689
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Mar 2016

Wow! Just when you think you've seen everything about making rivets. Thanks guys for two really informative posts. Dave are those ball bearings you were using?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Groot689
                  Wow! Just when you think you've seen everything about making rivets. Thanks guys for two really informative posts. Dave are those ball bearings you were using?
                  Buck shot.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Groot689
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Mar 2016

Of course! Thanks

Comment

Working...