Commander
    • Jun 2018

D&E 637 Class

Click image for larger version

Name:	ssn637-12.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	133941

I've seen reference to this kit pop up on a google search and it looks like a beautiful kit from back in the day, David. Is that the same one that has a cameo in the intro to Red October? Are the masters for this one still kicking around out in your shed or has it been lost to history? I can't tell if the hull is a solid casting, though it looks like it is.

It may be cost prohibitive in terms of time and effort, but I feel like that could make an awesome pint-sized RC project using a 1.25" SD.
    Dead men tell no tales...
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

That takes me back a few decades. It's hollow, but all resin. I've toyed with doing a GRP hull for r/c, but just have not had the time. Tooling is alive and well and currently residence for a colony of ants. That little model during the opening montage of the movie was one of our little 12" commissioning-crew models. We did hundreds of them, Ellie and I. Even when I was deployed in the Med, Ellie keep the shop going to fill those orders. That was before we changed the trade-style from D&E Models to D&E Miniatures (Too many idiots sent us head-shots -- and worse -- thinking we were a fashion model service).

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
      Commander
      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      That takes me back a few decades. It's hollow, but all resin. I've toyed with doing a GRP hull for r/c, but just have not had the time. Tooling is alive and well and currently residence for a colony of ants. That little model during the opening montage of the movie was one of our little 12" commissioning-crew models. We did hundreds of them, Ellie and I. Even when I was deployed in the Med, Ellie keep the shop going to fill those orders. That was before we changed the trade-style from D&E Models to D&E Miniatures (Too many idiots sent us head-shots -- and worse -- thinking we were a fashion model service).

David
      I see! I know you are really reaching to try and find ways to fill time in your golden years, but if you ever needed a volunteer to try and make a running kit out of it, I can think of a guy who would be quite interested.

I know you have said PARCHE has been done to death, but I do want to scratch that itch one day. Not the big nose version, but in her heyday of the 70s-80s. Add a lockout chamber and that hump to the stern, a bustle to the sail, and the expanded square-ish section on the bottom, etc etc etc...

Click image for larger version  Name:	AF7C8CC0-D4E5-42AE-8A6A-F44BDAF6FB71.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	61.4 KB ID:	133946

EDIT (afterthought) - As opposed to GRP, would resin make for a lousy material for the hull on a running kit? I would imagine it could end up being less durable. Maybe more brittle. There's got to be a reason that's what all of you guys end up using.

Last edited by DMTNT; 08-27-2019, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• STARK
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Nov 2009

David
        Too Many idiots sent us head shots,,,HAAAAAA
        What one Man can do, YOU can do too!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by DMTNT

I see! I know you are really reaching to try and find ways to fill time in your golden years, but if you ever needed a volunteer to try and make a running kit out of it, I can think of a guy who would be quite interested.

I know you have said PARCHE has been done to death, but I do want to scratch that itch one day. Not the big nose version, but in her heyday of the 70s-80s. Add a lockout chamber and that hump to the stern, a bustle to the sail, and the expanded square-ish section on the bottom, etc etc etc...

Click image for larger version Name:	AF7C8CC0-D4E5-42AE-8A6A-F44BDAF6FB71.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	61.4 KB ID:	133946

EDIT (afterthought) - As opposed to GRP, would resin make for a lousy material for the hull on a running kit? I would imagine it could end up being less durable. Maybe more brittle. There's got to be a reason that's what all of you guys end up using.
          Resin hulls are display pieces and reside in controlled environments. RC models bake under the summer sun, which would warp a resin only hull.

Hit me after the Fleet-Run and I'll see what I can do for you.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
            Commander
            • Jun 2018

Roger that. Thank you, sir!

Comment

• secrtwpn
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Feb 2012

.................if you were to re-issue that kit, it would sure look good in my classroom........just sayin'

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by secrtwpn
                .................if you were to re-issue that kit, it would sure look good in my classroom........just sayin'
                ….... and if I shoved a broom stick up my ass I could sweep the place on my way out. Just sayin' ……...
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                  Commander
                  • Jun 2018

….... and if I shoved a broom stick up my ass I could sweep the place on my way out. Just sayin' ……...
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	6556ACE0-173B-44CE-8B0B-B008DB290218.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	133990

Comment

Working...