X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scubaed1911
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jul 2019

Torpedo door mishap?

I'm new to the hobby, and Bob is building me a boat. My question is what's the possibility of a mishap should a torpedo firing sequence user error occur if a torpedo is fired and the torpedo door is shut?

Does the design preclude this?
    If you're part of the particulate, then you're not part of the solution"
  • scubaed1911
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jul 2019

Wow. No responses?

Tough crowd. :(

Looking at some of the archival footage and reports from trade shows describing poor attendance....

I realize I'm new here, but if this is symptomatic of a group with common interests in the hobby, I can easily understand how ambassadorship and external outreach is a problem.

Thanks!
    Last edited by scubaed1911; 07-15-2019, 09:52 AM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

Ed,

Not wanting to tread upon what could be a sensitive issue for you, you need to understand this hobby a bit better before accusing the membership of symptomatic lack of helpfulness. This is a small hobby and a small forum. A simple follow up post would push the thread back into the new topics for people and likely net a response.

Check the threads and you'll see every single one stuffed to the brim with insights, help and pointers. Yes, some replies take (gasp!) entire days to get posted. The quality of responses is typically worth the wait.

Bob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

In response to your question, the severity of a misfire depends entirely upon the design of the torpedo system. For a weapons system where there is no physical safety in place, the worst that could happen would be an unintentional release of the weapon and perhaps a tiny torpedo racing off towards the middle of a pond, never to be seen again.

A properly designed weapon system will have a catch or door that prevents the weapon from being released unless the doors are open. Your buildup will feature this.

Bob

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
          In response to your question, the severity of a misfire depends entirely upon the design of the torpedo system. For a weapons system where there is no physical safety in place, the worst that could happen would be an unintentional release of the weapon and perhaps a tiny torpedo racing off towards the middle of a pond, never to be seen again.

A properly designed weapon system will have a catch or door that prevents the weapon from being released unless the doors are open. Your buildup will feature this.

Bob
          In the Navy I was a Torpedoman. The launcher has a network of interlocks -- mechanical and electrical function trees -- that prevent operation B unless operation A is first accomplished. For example: the breech door locking ring can not be rotated unless the muzzle door operating ram is in the 'closed' position; the firing valve won't get activation air unless the torpedo stop-bolt has been raised; etc.

However model torpedo firing mechanisms are simple and not typically safe-guarded to the degree 'real' launcher systems are. So, you launch a weapon into a closed shutter door? So what!

Stop sweating the small ****.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• scubaed1911
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Jul 2019

Rgr. Advice taken.

Comment

Working...