X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Moebius 1/128th Scale Seaview

Several years ago, I bought from Mike Caswell a Seaview (minus Sub-Driver) that David made. It has been on the todo list for a long time and I decided to get it going after my Walrus build.
    My first thoughts on driving this beast come from the Get Smart Movie when a swordfish display punches the windshield and almost hits Alan Arkin's character. It is his response to Steve Carell's "Are you thinking what I am thinking?".
    There were several factors for my on the edge, need a whiskey, high pucker factor, and need to breath experience. One is it was the first time out in the wild. That is always a stressful moment for me. Then there were winds and choppy water, not this subs best conditions I learned and lastly the bow effect. Trimming this boat has not followed normal rules so far. trimming for level submerged is not going to work. In the video you can see that the leveler is working overtime to keep it as level as possible. I am thinking if I make the boat more bow up in trim, it might help with the down force of the front. Anyways for this last run, I did put a small block of foam in and it seemed to help, but since the weather was so much nicer, it is not a fair comparison.

This last run (Saturday), the weather was nice and since I already ran it once before, there was some familiarity with how it handles. It was a pleasure to drive. There are small adjustments in speed and sail planes that make all the difference. Someday, the hope is to run this in a pool because this sub is graceful looking underwater and it would be fun to film it. Anyways, I ran it several times submerged, but because of the additive in the water (anti-algae?) a short distance under and you cannot see much. Not every time was intentional. Most of the time it was not a panicky situation, only once did I hit the ballast pumps to bring it up. The other times, a small change in the sail planes and slowly the sub would be back at the surface.

The Sub-Driver is working flawlessly! Dry and consistent performance. There is enough volume that it lifts the freeboard out of the water. Click image for larger version  Name:	Seaview _119.jpg Views:	1 Size:	15.3 KB ID:	132006
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Seaview _124.jpg Views:	1 Size:	16.7 KB ID:	132007

Submerged and running, the sub had a bow down attitude, but could hold its depth well! A interesting trait I found was in a turn the sub would begin a slight depth correction. Going straight the top of the sail would be visible. In a turn it would drop to only the scope and antenna was visible. If I ran the sub where the scope and antenna was visible in a straight course, in a turn it would begin a slow dive.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Seaview _120.jpg Views:	1 Size:	9.7 KB ID:	132008
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Seaview _121.jpg Views:	1 Size:	12.5 KB ID:	132009
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Seaview _122.jpg Views:	1 Size:	16.0 KB ID:	132010
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Seaview _123.jpg Views:	1 Size:	17.5 KB ID:	132011

Here is video proof too!

https://youtu.be/WoIUC_hHVRE
    Last edited by trout; 05-05-2019, 05:20 PM.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • Bob Gato
    Captain
    • Feb 2019

Admiral, She's a beauty - be proud, very proud..oh and I loved the monstrous (scale) turtle at around 1:17 min in...

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

LOL! There are a lot of turtles in this water. The times the sub and turtle were in the same vicinity I did not have the camera ready, so I am glad one was caught in the video. Thank you sir, but really the credit goes to David Merriman for his assembling of the sub and the wonderful Sub-Driver.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by trout
        If I ran the sub where the scope and antenna was visible in a straight course, in a turn it would begin a slow dive..
        You have to hold a slight back pressure on the control yoke in a turn...Oh sorry, my bad... that's in an airplane...

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

Very nice Tom.

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Thank you sir!

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

This past weekend, I went to LA to run subs with some guys and get a little relaxation in.
              I brought two subs. The Walrus and the Seaview.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview small 01.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	133812

Name:	Seaview small 02.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	133813

Still learning to drive this sub, but the shoreline comment was "Your Seaview is doing what I was told is not possible"
              When I took it out I did a few laps and surfaced the boat. Then a little later I got too confident and nosed into the ground a few times. Recovered every time and learned more about this sub. The sail planes really make a difference. I find the bow planes will almost always be needed to control the shovel effect and the sail makes the depth. This sub, while has the power to run fast, will not control well underwater if too much speed is used. Slowing the sub down makes a great "scale" like speed.
              The ballast tank emptied brought the sub to the correct waterline to the surprise of the guys standing there. David, well designed WTC, thank you for being the master!
              Last edited by trout; 08-12-2019, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

This past weekend, I went to LA to run subs with some guys and get a little relaxation in.
                I brought two subs. The Walrus and the Seaview.

Name:	Seaview small 01.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	133812

Name:	Seaview small 02.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	133813

Still learning to drive this sub, but the shoreline comment was "Your Seaview is doing what I was told is not possible"
                When I took it out I did a few laps and surfaced the boat. Then a little later I got too confident and nosed into the ground a few times. Recovered every time and learned more about this sub. The sail planes really make a difference. I find the bow planes will almost always be needed to control the shovel effect and the sail makes the depth. This sub, while has the power to run fast, will not control well underwater if too much speed is used. Slowing the sub down makes a great "scale" like speed.
                The ballast tank emptied brought the sub to the correct waterline to the surprise of the guys standing there. David, well designed WTC, thank you for being the master!
                I AM ALL POWERFUL!!!! (crack of thunder)

Do you have a set of 'vanes' in the nozzles, tom? They work to pitch the ass-end down, which helps keep the damned thing from shoveling in at speed. Those were an 'enhancement' to the original fittings kit and you may not have got a set.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

I do have those vanes. When I set it up, I made the vanes and bow planes straight at level. Should I put a default up angle to make the aft push down?

Comment

• Aug 2008

I do have those vanes. When I set it up, I made the vanes and bow planes straight at level. Should I put a default up angle to make the aft push down?
                    Yes, Damit! The vanes are not in the nozzles for looks! Angle them to throw water 'up', thus pushing the ass-end down, ergo: the bow goes 'up'.

You people! Also, angle the stern planes with about 3-5 degree 'dive' to them when zeroed. That also gives you a fighting chance against the dreaded shovel-nose-dive. You can see that off-set in the pictures I sent. You do these things and you will be able to take some of that awful looking 'rise' off the bow planes (man, they look awful when in operation -- that's why you don't see them as practical devices in the film or TV show).

David
                    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 08-12-2019, 10:00 AM.
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Will do! As I make adjustments, this will be even BETTER running sub than it is. The folks on the bank were seriously impressed (of course I stood 1 foot taller).

Comment

• Aug 2008

Will do! As I make adjustments, this will be even BETTER running sub than it is. The folks on the bank were seriously impressed (of course I stood 1 foot taller).
                        Yeah, the tweaking with this beast seems never ending. But, if you persevere, you'll find that elusive sweet-spot (a given speed and depth) where the SEAVIEW becomes a hands-off joy-to-run.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Scott T
                          Commander
                          • May 2009

What if you flipped the bow planes upside down while running in the water?

Comment

Working...