Fitting Sub-Driver into Hull

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • submaster

Correct Positioning of sub-driver, thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I should have been more direct I have all the control surfaces fabricated and fitted, but not secured. The big ? is, I have the sub-driver positioned right up against the forward bulk-head area. Would this b suitable positioning or is there a reference of how many inches from the bow or to the aft/stern. I also have the sub-driver sitting at the bottom of the hull. Does this need to be raised 1/16th or and 1/8 of an inch or is this positioning correct. Being that this is my 1st sub, I am also going to need easy access for easy removal, any suggestions for cut lines for easy access would b greatly appreciated.

Comment

• toppack
      Rear Admiral
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by submaster
      The big ? is, I have the sub-driver positioned right up against the forward bulk-head area. Would this b suitable positioning or is there a reference of how many inches from the bow or to the aft/stern. I also have the sub-driver sitting at the bottom of the hull. Does this need to be raised 1/16th or and 1/8 of an inch or is this positioning correct. Being that this is my 1st sub, I am also going to need easy access for easy removal, any suggestions for cut lines for easy access would b greatly appreciated.
      David,
      I'll need that Info Also, when I get back to working on the VII?
      We need some detailed positioning measurements ???
      Guesstamation just don't Cut-it, in this balancing-act. :D LOL :D
      Thanks,
      Last edited by toppack; 01-20-2009, 08:06 PM.
      Rick L.
      --------------------------------------------
      * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
      Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Nuke Power
        Banned
        • Dec 2008

I made the sub driver sit as low as possible. I think I left about 1/16" between the sub driver and the hull. The position of the SD inside the boat is dictated by the drive shaft set up you are using. The sub driver is effective with it positioned in the middle of the sub. Is this helpful or is more information required?
        Attached Files

Comment

• Nuke Power
          Banned
          • Dec 2008

Position the sub driver 10" from the bow of the boat and you should have success. To make the saddles for the sub driver I simply layed the SD endcap ontop of the sadles drew a line and then cut them out. You can see in the photos how I chopped my top. I also reinforced the entire upper deck with styrene plastic. If I were to do this again I would do it a bit more sparrignly or perhaps use a lighter material like carbon L frames. Keepin the weight off the boat and as low as possible is the key here. The only weight you want ot add is keel weight because this boat needs the stability . Let me tell you something though, once you get her together she will be a screamer. Driving the thing reminds me of watching the nautilus from the league of extrordinary gentlemen. Its like a knife through butter :)

Comment

• toppack
            Rear Admiral
            • Nov 2008

Are the black marks on outside of hull where the plastic-hull-bulkheads are, inside hull?
            I could go compare it to mine but easier to just ask. :D LOL :D
            Last edited by toppack; 01-20-2009, 08:56 PM.
            Rick L.

Comment

• Nuke Power
              Banned
              • Dec 2008

Thanx for making me take it apart toppack it was quite happy how it was :)

Here are some shots of the removal and the saddles installed. Since I am sure you are going to ask toppack..... The long slot holes you see are from the removal of ballast bars. Initially David and I loaded the keel up with weight. We then discovered that we couldnt jam enough foam in to counter act it so we had to dremel some weight out. The rear end is especially sensitive to weight. I wold beging with the mid section. The fwd section is very capable of supporting 2 lipo packs in parallel though.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Nuke Power
                Banned
                • Dec 2008

the plastic bulkheads go exactly where the model book revel supplied tell you to put them.

Comment

• Nuke Power
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2008

The black marks are where I decided to put the sub driver in the boat. They were merely external refrence points.

Comment

• Nuke Power
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2008

toppack do you actually read my posts? We covered the first question. And that answer by deductive reasoning will give you the second answer...

Oh screw it just send it to me and I will build it for you...... for a small stack of bejamins :)

Comment

• toppack
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Nov 2008

Oops, I just saw your post about SD being 10" from bow.
                      I missed it before.
                      I deleted the last question, hopeing you had not read it yet, Sorry.:D
                      I think that's all that I needed for mine.
                      Thanks,
                      Last edited by toppack; 01-20-2009, 10:34 PM.
                      Rick L.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                        • Aug 2008

Excellent work and a very coherent presentation. Very useful, Kevin. Thanks.

David,
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Nuke Power
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2008

Well someone has to do your job while your locked in the cave!

Comment

Working...