X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Looking for reference material - OHIO SSBN

Getting ready for paint on my current SubmarineWorks Ohio project and I'm finding conflicting info online regarding the paint scheme. Some photos depict the boat having anti-foul from the centerline down, while others show it from the waterline down. I'm thinking of rendering her at USS Pennsylvania in operational trim. Does anyone know definitively which way she'd be?

Also looking for some reference on hull draft markings so I can create digital files and get dry transfers created.

Thanks for your help, everyone!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Anti-foul red up to waterline before acceptance and commissioning. Anti-foul red from centerline down once in service.

A good source for 1/96 white draft numbers: https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscen...how/item/MG747

I have spoken, so let it be written! (crash of thunder).

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      • Aug 2009

Perfect! I don't suppose you have any reference photos showing the location of the markings, and the specific numbers used, do you? Just need to know where to start the numbering and where on the hull the numbers should align.

Comment

• Aug 2008

This should do you, Bob:

Careful with this one, it's out of proportions, that egg-shaped circle at the bow should be a perfect circle. Compensate for the elongation.

David
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 01-20-2019, 07:58 AM.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            • Aug 2009

Too awesome! Thanks, Dave!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
              Too awesome! Thanks, Dave!
              I have a ton of photos that 'kinda' show the draft numbers, but only the forward ones. Know this about the draft numbers on the upper rudder: Not only on the port and starboard side, but also on the leading edge.

And don't forget, while training with the DSRV these boats had two 'target' markings over the escape trunk hatches, does a lot to make the model submarine more 'visible' when operating submerged.

And some thoughts on how you might weather this best. This model was assembled from the fine David Copeland 1/96 OHIO kit:

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                Commander
                • Jun 2018

So that is what those were! The huge and really bold hatch markings. I have some that look like your 688i and some of the less in-your-face ones that come with the Trumpeter Seawolf. I know the operational SSN-23 has none, but like you said, they do a lot to make a black boat a little more visible.
                Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  • Aug 2009

Dave, (or anyone), do you have a better photo of the DSRV target markings? I can probably fudge them based on the pictures above, but I'd prefer to get them right.

Thanks!

Comment

• DMTNT
                    Commander
                    • Jun 2018

Dave, (or anyone), do you have a better photo of the DSRV target markings? I can probably fudge them based on the pictures above, but I'd prefer to get them right.

Thanks!
                    Bob, I have 4 sets of them in 1/144 decal form. Way more than I need. I will pop
                    a couple in the mail today and send them your way. I imagine you could either scan & resize them, or they may even work as-is.

-Brady
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	3C9608F7-6D62-40F0-97C9-C0E8795A7E40.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	44.4 KB ID:	129784

Last edited by DMTNT; 01-23-2019, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      • Aug 2009

That's perfect! No need to send. I can work with the photo you sent. Thanks so much!

Comment

• DMTNT
                        Commander
                        • Jun 2018

That's perfect! No need to send. I can work with the photo you sent. Thanks so much!
                        My pleasure! If you need a hard copy, it really is no trouble. Just let me know.

Comment

Working...