X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DMTNT
    Commander
    • Jun 2018

1/96 Sturgeon

If one were casually searching for this mythical kit, does anybody here have a lead on one?

I know Bob recently acquired the Precision Pattern line of products. I’m in absolutely *no* hurry here, especially with all that Mr. Martin has been dealing with as of late, but was the plan to start producing them again through Nautilus Drydocks?
    Dead men tell no tales...
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Heck, yeah! It's a gorgeous kit. I haven't taken possession of the patterns or molds yet, but Matt and I have a plan to get them here. That done, I need to source a local 'glass guy, which should be fairly feasible because of all the boat manufacturing and repair places down here.

Obviously, there are a lot of things up in the air right now, my health being the largest question mark, but unless something drastic happens, I'd say summer should be realistic.to see kits on the shelf.

Hope that helps!

Bob

Comment

• DMTNT
      Commander
      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by SubHuman
      Heck, yeah! It's a gorgeous kit. I haven't taken possession of the patterns or molds yet, but Matt and I have a plan to get them here. That done, I need to source a local 'glass guy, which should be fairly feasible because of all the boat manufacturing and repair places down here.

Obviously, there are a lot of things up in the air right now, my health being the largest question mark, but unless something drastic happens, I'd say summer should be realistic.to see kits on the shelf.

Hope that helps!

Bob
      Heck yeah it does. I can wait. Take care of yourself, Bob. That is really what should be of utmost priority.

Thank you!!

Just curious, does anyone in the group have a decent set of Sturgeon plans in 1/96, or know how I might get my hands on some? There are a few things I would like to try and size up in my mind.

-Brady

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

They were essentially lengthened Permit class boats weren't they.

A side drawing here, no doubt full of inaccuracies, but should suffice for a basic outline.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture

A side drawing here, no doubt full of inaccuracies, but should suffice for a basic outline.

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews...rgeon-p-01.jpg
          Right on, Andy. Same S5W plant, attack center, sonar, and launchers. That's a Jim Christly illustration (likely done for one of the Friedman books), so it's accurate.

I had the pleasure of operating one of the Thor STURGEON's a few decades back. Stands out in my memory as it was the easiest to drive, and almost as maneuverable as a SKIPJACK class hull. Will make a wonderful kit for newbie and experienced hand alike.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
            Commander
            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Subculture

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews...rgeon-p-01.jpg
            Thank you! I’ve got all kinds of crazy notions floating around in my head, but the biggest one is a fiberglass skirt / bustle? attached to the bottom. I also have this wild idea to make retractable landing skids.

Like I’ve said previously. This is fun! Insane, but fun.

-Brady

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by DMTNT

Thank you! I’ve got all kinds of crazy notions floating around in my head, but the biggest one is a fiberglass skirt / bustle? attached to the bottom. I also have this wild idea to make retractable landing skids.

Like I’ve said previously. This is fun! Insane, but fun.

-Brady
              Put that Blind Man's Bluff book down and get back into the frig'n shop! (package headed your way -- notify the appropriate authorities!).

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SSN687
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Nov 2015

14 January 2019

Are you going to do a Sturgeon short or long hull or both?

Ernie

Comment

• DMTNT
                  Commander
                  • Jun 2018

Originally posted by SSN687
                  14 January 2019

Are you going to do a Sturgeon short or long hull or both?

Ernie
                  Ernie - My plan at the moment is to depict Parche as she was in the late 70's / 80's (the middle one in the photo.) I believe she was a "long hull" coming off the blocks, and then became a "really long hull" after her 1990-ish refit.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Parche_1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	155.1 KB ID:	129616

And David... It's an audio book on my iPhone. I can listen while I work. So there!
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1258.jpg Views:	1 Size:	246.7 KB ID:	129617

Also, your generosity overwhelms me, in the best possible way. Thank you.
                  Last edited by DMTNT; 01-14-2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Ohhh change your plan! do the Parche (SSN-683) in the long long hull, do the long long hull! What a cool history! (easy for me to say this by the way - it is not me doing it)
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• DMTNT
                      Commander
                      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by trout
                      Ohhh change your plan! do the Parche (SSN-683) in the long long hull, do the long long hull! What a cool history! (easy for me to say this by the way - it is not me doing it)
                      Tom, I already have one fat little piggy who is longer than she ought to be. Do I really need two????

Yes. Of course I do.

I have had my fun lengthing a boat this go round with CARTER. I think for my next build, I want to try and push my skills in other areas. Building off of a well-designed base-hull might be a safe refuge in the ****storm I want to get myself into.

Comment

• SSN687
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Nov 2015

I was actually asking David or Bob which hull they were planning to offer when they go to production of the 1/96 Sturgeon.

Comment

• DMTNT
                          Commander
                          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by SSN687
                          I was actually asking David or Bob which hull they were planning to offer when they go to production of the 1/96 Sturgeon.
                          Gotcha. I believe the Thor kit depicts a long hull, but I could be mistaken.

Comment

• DMTNT
                            Commander
                            • Jun 2018

Wondering aloud here... could you use a 2-inch SubDriver on a 1/96 Sturgeon, or would you need to go up to the 2.5-inch?

Comment

• Aug 2008

The 2.5 'standard' SD is ideal for the 1/96 STURGEON.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...